New shingles vaccine, bad reaction to second dose.

albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.

Are you hearing this? Over on SDMBNew shingles vaccine, bad reaction to second dose. a couple have mentioned it. My primary MD sort of hinted vaguely that there might be some reaction.

SaveComment92Like
Comments (92)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8

No, I hadn't heard of reactions with the second dose, or not any more than the first shot. My SIL ran a low fever of half day or so with her first shot. It came on about 30 hours after the injection? Pharmacist said not at all unusual. She wasn't comfortable, but said she'd take it over a case of shingles any day.

She is due for the second, plans to time it carefully so as not to interfere with other commitments just in case. (her earlier fever happened as they were getting ready, then out to dinner party with friends)

1 Like Save    
Winter

The difficult reaction to the second shot has been widely publicized since the negative reactions began to be reported. TV news programs reported a warning and most doctors are informing their patients that the second injection may not be a pleasant experience. Some patients had a reaction to the first injection. This is not a vaccine that should be taken lightly although the CDC recommends all over 50 years of age should get it as long as they're not immuno challenged.

I've been interested in taking it because it's not a live vaccine but have reconsidered my initial decision and will be discussing it...again...with my physician. Even Medicare didn't initially approve payment for it when it first came out. I haven't checked whether they have rescinded their initial decision but most doctors who treat Medicare patients will know and one should ask their doctor.

Save    
socks

Is that the new shingles vaccine, Shingrix? Is it two shots?

Save    
Winter

Yes...and yes. The second shot is given a few months after the first injection. This article from US News gives a pretty accurate description of the shot and what one might experience. It's one of the better articles I've read.

https://health.usnews.com/health-care/patient-advice/articles/2018-06-15/a-new-shingles-vaccine-prepare-for-harsher-side-effects

Save    
Jasdip

My arm was pretty tender for a couple of days after getting the first dose. I couldn't lay/sleep on my left side at all. So make sure you get it in your non-dominant arm, just in case.

I'm scheduled for my 2nd shot in Sept. I hope it's not ugly as you are saying.

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

From the article

"Temporary vaccine side effects pale in comparison to shingles' long-lasting effects on the body, experts says."

I can not agree more. It is the most terrible condition I have ever experienced. And unfortunately I am one of the many people who end up with the long lasting effects. I am afraid that I will have to suffer with this for the rest of my life.

If you haven't had the vaccine and are in the age range please do yourself a favor and get your vaccine! You do not want to risk having shingles or even worse the long term after effects.

Every day I feel the pain and itching to the point of wanting to rip my skin off. I don't wish that on anyone.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Raven, I am so very sorry that you are in such misery. I think of you often.

Our pharmacy was out of the second dose a couple of weeks ago when we were due but we will certainly get it when it becomes available.

Save    
Winter

Your current experience is exactly why I'm going to continue to talk to my doctor about taking the Shingrix vaccine, Raven. I don't respond well to any type of medication. Combine that with the fact that I live alone and can't afford to be inoperable for any length of time have been the reasons for my delay. But the physical cost of not getting it may far outweigh a few days of discomfort if he thinks I can tolerate it. I ache just reading about what you've been going through and wish something could be done to rid you of this horrible virus. I had a shingles outbreak about 11 years ago but I caught it quick enough for Acyclovir to work. I was lucky.

Save    
provogal

I had the original shingles vaccine. After reading all this, I do not think I will follow up with the new 2 dose vaccine and just hope for the best. At the very least I would hope that the older vaccine mitigates some of the symptoms if I do get Shingles and of course, I would see my doctor ASAP to get the anti-viral or whatever.

Save    
phyllis__mn

I just got the second shot last week and felt so very tired the next day. Of course, that could just have been a coincidence as one does have those days sometimes! I definitely wanted the new vaccine, as I am still having residual discomfort from the disease six years ago, some time after I had had the original vaccine. I did not have the rash that usually accompanies shingles, but had it in my eye, which was frightening. I still have the itchiness and "picky" feeling in my eyebrow and eyelid, as well as scalp on that side. And, no, my medicare or insurance did not pay for it, so that was $500.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Also in the US News article are these words from a CDC doc:

"But in their own individual trials, we've seen that the protection provided from Shingrix (the new drug) was over 90 percent, and that persisted even in the older age groups of people 70 and older. On the other hand, for Zostavax, the protection provided by that vaccine was about 51 percent in clinical trials of people 60 and older."

Consult with your own physician and follow their advice. Though, this seems like a no-brainer.

2 Likes Save    

provo, I would have thought that by reading this thread and the included articles you would be running to your doctor or pharmacy to get this vaccination! A few days of mild discomfort compared to weeks or months of disabling pain?

Save    
writersblock (9b/10a)

I had a terrible reaction to the first shot: arm swollen and red and a fever for two weeks, especially at night, but I don't regret it at all. My mom had shingles and I'd still opt for this. Better two weeks of discomfort than a year of misery.

An unexpected plus is that you get your T-cells rejuvenated. After the vaccine most people wind up with something like seven times the number of T-cells they had before.

Also, if you are in the unlucky ten percent or less (it goes down the older you are) who do get shingles despite the vaccine, evidently for most people it only lasts as long as the rash does. Post-herpetic nerve pain almost never happens once you've had shingrix, and that's certainly the very worst part of having shingles.

Save    
lily316

I got the first shingle vaccine and my doctor's office didn't have the new two shot one in yet when I was there a month ago. I don't know whether to wait till they get it or go to the drug store and get it. People in my family had bad reactions to shingles. My aunt, in particular, lost the vision in one eye. I will get the new two-shot vaccine because a little discomfort is a small price to pay.

Save    
Jasdip

Lily, ideally, you should get the second shot 3 months later than the first shot. By then, your doctor might have it. Don't rush getting the second one.

1 Like Save    

But it is recommended that you get the second shot within six months.

Save    
provogal

Rhizo, I do have some protection having had the old vaccine.

Save    
chisue

DH and I had the 'old' shingles vaccine. I doubt I can have the new one while I am on chemo for the multiple myeloma. The oncologist has me on an anti-viral twice a day for the duration of the chemo: Acyclovir 400 mg. It's what I took within 72 hours of my one shingles episode years ago; kept the outbreak (right forehead) to a bare minimum.

Raven -- So sorry you are continuing to suffer. Does *anything* help?

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I also got the Acyclovir with in hours of the first sores.

Currently the only thing that helps some is having treatment on that area with the cold red laser. Of course insurance doesn't pay for that. My great doctor has given me a few free treatments. And I have paid for several.

Chisue I was not able to get the vaccine because I was on immune suppressing drugs. Chemo meds. It says that in the vaccine information.

Save    
blfenton

I got the first shot about 2 weeks ago and the only side effect was soreness for a couple of days in the muscle of the shot location. I did plan the shot for a time when I had an easy couple of days following the shot. The second shot will be done 2-3 months later and I will definitely plan the timing wisely. I just got it from our pharmacist and she also did the shot.

$500?! Wow. Ours was only $300 and BC Medical doesn't cover it (other provinces might, I don't know) but our extended covered it.

Save    
Jasdip

It's $300 in Ontario, too. Also not covered.

1 Like Save    
bossyvossy

I wished I hadn’t read this b/c I don’t like shots. Ignorance would have been bliss. My doc just prescribed the two shot vaccine. I guess I’d better call UHC to see if covered.

Raven, what an ordeal.

my MIL had shingles and I don’t know if/how much she suffered with it. She wasn’t one to complain and she was as very private about health matters, not sure why.

Save    
lisa_fla

Im pretty sure UHC covers it after searching on google. The pharmacy can run your card and tell you.

Save    
schoolhouse_gw

Got my second shot today. I was braced for the pain of the actual needle going in like the first time - not so today, felt just a pinch. And it was the same pharmacist who gave me the first shot. I asked before I left if I could put a topical pain med on the area like Aspercreme and she said yes. Also I should move the arm around, that is, not let it rest or not use it. Suppose to help overcome the pain quicker.

So far tonight, there is a tiny bump with some soreness and warmth. Nothing like the first time. Will see how it feels in the morning. I chose to have the inoculation in the same arm (left) as I sleep on my right side.

My insurance with Medicare covered all but $43 of the cost.

2 Likes Save    
suellen19

My DR recommended the new shot(s) but said to go the pharmacy and get on the list as the DRs list was over 250 and she had heard pharmacies were getting it faster. The pharmacies list was a page and 1/2.

Save    
schoolhouse_gw

Not feeling 100% today. Tired. Actually had to get under a throw to get warm and it was 83 degrees outside. Turned off my AC for awhile.

Save    
blfenton

Thanks for the update schoolhouse. I hope you're feeling better from the reaction to the shot soon.

Save    
lily316

We called today and we're covered 100% so now have to call and see if doctor has it in yet or just go to Rite Aid.

Save    
Jakkom Katsu

I did get a mild reaction from the two-stage new vaccine shot - my arm was sore for a couple of days, and I was unusually tired for about 3 days.

But as others have said, better that than another flare-up of shingles. I had a relatively mild case of it about 17 yrs ago and NEVER want it to happen again. So awful when you can't stand to have even a light fabric touch the rash splotches - ugh!

We are fortunate to be members of the Kaiser Permanente HMO. No cost for any vaccines for us. They have differing levels of co-pays on various plans, so don't know if that was just our level of plan or if that's the HMO policy for all members.

Save    
schoolhouse_gw

MUCH better today. Just soreness on the arm where the shot was given. Thanks.

Save    
bossyvossy

When I sign up to take a flu shot, i always make sure I have nothing else scheduled that day and the next. Arm is a little sore and DH and I both feel tired. We take long naps (unusual) those days. Then we’re fine. Maybe it will be the same w/shingle vaccine

Save    
ladypat1

When I checked at the pharmacy yesterday, the pharmacist told me nobody in town (Kansas City) has the vaccines. Not even doctors, The pharmaceutical company did not expect such an interest in the vaccine, and there will be more shipped in August sometime.

Save    
mdln

Shingrix vaccine locator: https://www.shingrix.com/shingles-vaccine-locator.html

Shingrex wholesale price $140 per dose.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/dont-panic-if-youre-put-on-a-waiting-list-for-the-new-shingles-vaccine/2018/07/24/248d972e-8e8d-11e8-8322-b5482bf5e0f5_story.html?utm_term=.90bd8a6c65b5

"Even as GSK struggles to keep up with demand, Shingrix has so far bested expectations commercially...leading company executives to suggest it'll generate $600 million this year." https://www.fiercepharma.com/senators-demand-more-from-gsk-to-boost-shingrix-supply

Save    
suellen19

That locator tells you where they can give you the shot. Not if they have any. My pharmacy is on there but as I said the have a 1- 1/2 page waiting list.

Save    
schoolhouse_gw

I read in an article at one of the above links that Shingrix is 90% effective and lasts for four years. Now I thought, in the beginning, I read that "one would never need another shingle shot". I must have made that up?

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

"We are fortunate to be members of the Kaiser Permanente HMO. No cost for any vaccines for us."

This is the case for many people through a variety of health insurance programs having prescription drug coverage or via a Medicare Part D plan. Sometimes there's a co-pay. I checked my own coverage, as a for-instance, and it's similarly free of cost.

Save    
lisa_fla

I was shopping at Neighborhood Walmart a couple of days ago and asked whether they had the Shingrix-they said yes I took the short form to fill out home. I was planning to shampoo my bedroom carpet and the stairs and wasn’t sure how sore my arm would be if I got it then.

Save    
writersblock (9b/10a)

I think that for those who are not covered for this vaccine, it's just a matter of time. A couple of months ago it would have cost me $270 a dose, but now that it's become the recommended one to use, most insurance companies are starting to cover it.

Save    
schoolhouse_gw

I know I keep commenting, but FYI, my whole arm doesn't hurt just the injection site and it's not too bad this morning. One thing I did different this time was to do 20 fist pumps into the air with that arm like once or twice a day for two days. I don't know if it made a difference or not, maybe.

Save    
Brooks Butler

I am a retired M.D. I have had a bout with zoster about 10 years ago. Just a nickel sized cutaneous lesion near left nipple. I took my second Shingrix shot 8 days ago. Skin all over started itching two days later. I attributed this to "winter itch". The next day a generalized hives appeared on trunk and thighs mostly. This is a significant problem. It had persisted and I would not do it again.

Save    
writersblock (9b/10a)

Since this got a bump, I have to say that while I had the worst reaction to the first shot (not hives--poor Brooks) that our pharmacist had seen, I had no reaction at all the to second shot except a little localized swelling.

1 Like Save    
schoolhouse_gw

This is a timely post, as I just went into the doctor Friday to check whether or not a rash at my waist line was the beginning of shingles. And I've had both courses of the Shingrix last summer. I had heard you could still get the shingles, only not as severe.

Well, turns out it wasn't but she said to keep an eye on the area and if it developed red blisters instead of the raised rash with what looks like white heads, to come back. Today the rash is better but is still appears a little "bumpy", not red at all tho.

Save    
Jackie Garber

After the first shot I had a mind reaction . I took some Advil and it was fine. Three months later took the second shot, I woke up during that night in pain took Advil by the morning the swelling spread to my armpit I took benedryl - they say the reaction can last 3-5 days I am on day 2

Save    
Brooks Butler

My bad generalized rash started on day #2 of the booster shot and lasted 3+ wks. Make sure a report is filed with the feds if you have a bad reaction. If I had it to do over again, I would take my chances with getting shingles again.

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Just to let you know I am still suffering from the darn after effects of the shingles episode. I woke up this morning my whole hip and leg throbbing and itching. Almost every day this is happening now. So when they say you can have it for the rest of your life, it's true! I thought I was having the rash again recently in the same spot it was itching so bad, but thank goodness after extensive examination it wasn't.

Save    
blfenton

I had my second shot in October and the day after I felt awful. I felt like I had all-over body flu, achy, couldn't stand any light or any noise, splitting headache, etc. It only lasted one day.

My DH had his second shot on Friday and except for a sore arm, two days later he still feels fine.

1 Like Save    
Michael

Wish I could get one. I've been on the waiting list for over 5 months.

Save    
lisa_fla

It took persistence but I got my booster on time. I had gotten the first one at Neighborhood Walmart. Every time I went in there ( which is a few times a week) once it was due I stopped at the pharmacy and asked whether they had the vaccine. They only get 10 at a time. One day they said yes, we just got it in. I would have never gotten the first shot if I had known what a hassle it is fir people to get the second. I would have waited. But luckily it worked out for me. I had no reaction to the first one and some achiness with the second.

1 Like Save    
Kathsgrdn

Got the first dose of the new vaccine a few months ago. Had body aches and felt like crap for 2 or 3 days. I'm still waiting for Walgreens to get the vaccine in for the second dose. This last time I asked about it they put me on a list for a phone call when it came in. This time I'll make sure I'm not working for a day or so after the shot.

Save    
lily12

I'm on a few lists but so far no vaccine.

Save    
Brooks Butler

If you have what you think is a BAD (Adverse) reaction. There is a law that it must be reported. VAERS

Save    
Barbara Hotchkiss Forrest

The first dose was non eventful just some soreness on injection site. But the second dose has been awful its day three and I still feel ill. I had a fever for the first two days the worse headache I have ever had, I do not get bad headaches ever. I remember having the flu many years ago that's exactly how I felt chills, fever, headaches and loss of apatite. And low energy...

Save    
Michael

I received the first dose last Saturday. Soreness at injection site for about 24 hours. No other side effects to report.

My second dose is scheduled for May 21, 2019.

Save    
Alisande

Raven and Barbara, I'm so sorry you're suffering like this (with two different causes). I had shingles near my waist, toward the back, 10 years ago. I never got the rash, and based on what I've heard about others' experiences, it was probably a relatively mild case. But I couldn't lie down, was in pain constantly, and was out of work for two weeks. At some point after that I got the shingles vaccine, and then some time later (not related to the shot) I got shingles, with rash, on my eyelid. Again, not terrible. But no fun--and worrisome.

There's no way I'm going to go for the newer shingles vaccine. Like Winter, I react badly to a lot of meds. And I don't want to trigger a flare in a couple of chronic health issues. Years ago I gave up getting the flu vaccine after a bad reaction: my whole body was on fire all night. I started getting flu shots again after my older grandson was born. So far so good. But this is one boat I'm not gonna rock.

Save    
bleusblue2

Alisande said:

There's no way I'm going to go for the newer shingles vaccine.

~~~~

does that mean you'll try the older one? They do say that it is pretty effective.

Save    
Uptown Gal

I had the older one.....3 years later I came down with shingles. Luckily, it

was a pretty light case. But......not so sure about the new doses. My one

sister never had the vaccines and never had shingles. What's wrong with

this picture? LOL

Save    
lily12

I had the older one but am on two lists here for the new version and nada yet. My daughter got the first on and now can't find the second one. I definitely don't want shingles.

Save    
Alisande

does that mean you'll try the older one?

Sorry, Bleusblue, I left out part of my post by mistake. I just edited it to add that between my bouts with shingles I did get the older shot.

Save    
bleusblue2

Alisande said

does that mean you'll try the older one?

Sorry, Bleusblue, I left out part of my post by mistake. I just edited it to add that between my bouts with shingles I did get the older shot.

~~~~~~~~~~~

so there are several of us who had the older shot and got shingles anyway. They do claim that if you've had the shot, even if you do get shingles it is milder than it would have been. I guess they figure that out with statistics.

1 Like Save    
Michael

Lily,

Re: second dose. My second dose arrived with the first dose and is scheduled for 5/21. They promised to text remind me 24 hours prior.

Save    
lily12

Lucky you. Michael. Even the first shot is not available around here...pharmacies or doctor's offices.

Save    
armstrong_eloy

I had my second Shingles shot, just recently, on May 15, 2019. The arm, of course, was sore for several days but about 10 days later, I've developed a rash around my left elbow area, as well as on the middle of my chest. After my first Shingles shot, I did get a little batch of Shingles, months later, in that same chest area. The itching drives me crazy, but the Gold bond helps,

Save    
Marsha P.

I got my first shingles vaccination today at a local pharmacy. (Has been in waiting list a long time so I was excited). The shot stung but not too bad. Then i went grocery shopping afterwards and my stomach felt bad, then I had a horrible bout of diarrhea as soon as I got home, about an hour or less after the shot. I felt fine, otherwise, until tonight! My gosh, I feel like I got hit by a truck. My body is aching all over, my eyes are watery, zero energy, and my arm and shoulders are hurting really bad. Feels very much like bad case of the flu.

i had shingles about 6 years ago. It started out as what I thought were chigger bites on the side of my back under my bra strap. This quickly became itchy then very painful. I couldn’t work much. I vowed I’d do all I can to prevent myself from ever getting shingles again so even though I feel like crap tonight, it’s still better than getting full blown shingles.

does anyone know if I am contagious right now? My daughter has an autoimmunity disease and she’s here visiting home on college break. Last thing the poor girl needs is to get something from me. Does anyone happen to know about it as contagious or hot?

1 Like Save    
Brooks Butler

I don't believe contagion is a factor but consider having your provider submit a reaction report to the CDC.

Save    
armstrong_eloy

I wrote on May 28th about the rash I got from the shot, well its now June 3rd and I still have it. It spreading a little more to the left side of my chest. I think and hope its stopped spreading on my arm and it doesn't itch as bad, so I'm hoping its getting better. However, my nights are still restless because of it. I received my Zoster 2 Vaccine shot at the Health Dept in Bandera County. It only cost $10.00. I let them know about the side affect I've had from it. They said they were glad I let them know but if I would, report it to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) at www.vaers.hhs.gov or call 1-800-822-7967. *Note: These folks don't give out medical advice.

Save    
Brooks Butler

My rash was pretty generalized involving trunk and thighs. it lasted 3 weeks. It was bad enough that I wouldn't do it again.

1 Like Save    
armstrong_eloy

I hear ya, Brooks, me neither.

Save    
fiveholetarget

I got my second shingles shot 2 weeks ago. Within 6 hours of the shot, I developed a sore arm, low-grade headache, nausea, and extreme tiredness. I stayed in the bed the next 24 hours. After that I was ok.

On the first shot I only had a sore arm and a low-grade headache.

1 Like Save    
Rosine Abergel Ferber

Just took the second shot. I began to develop swollen and painful glands in my neck on the left side, a very hot, red, swollen arm and a sore on my lower lip. I also had low grade fever and night sweats. It was not pleasant but I think it’s better than getting the shingles.

Save    
Michael

Not much to report about my second dose I received on 6/22/19 at 9 AM. Soreness at the injection site, low grade fever for a few hours. Slept 8 hours that night and felt normal in the morning.

Save    
socks

Got the first dose today. Arm very sore, barely sleeping during a miserable restless night, a little better this morning. I hope we are not scaring people from getting the vaccine. See Raven's comment in particular, above. That's what is scary.

Best to plan the injection when nothing is planned for the next day or two.

Save    
Douglas Gilliland

Today is day 2 after the first shot. I had a rough day one after the first shot. Chills, climbed in bed for hours. Fell asleep 10 times. Took off work which is rare for me. Was hoping that since I had symptoms for the first it would be less for the second but it looks un-correlated. I still plan on getting the 2nd shot - set my calendar to remind me in 2 months.

I've seen too many people with Shingles and I don't want to risk getting it. Will get the next shot at a time when I have a few days off work.

Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

I have to wait until after November 11 to get the second dose. I have vacation scheduled Nov. 21 until Dec. 2 so I think I will schedule an appointment at Walgreen's clinic for Nov. 20 after getting off work.

I didn't have any issues after the first shot other than a sore arm for a couple days. I hope the second one goes just as well.

Save    
blfenton

I didn't have an issues after the first one either but after the second I felt like I had been hit by a semi-truck but it only lasted 1 full day.

Save    
lily316

So I finally got the shot. Years ago I got the first one but this new one had a long waiting list that I was on at the doctor's office and Rite Aid. So finally August 19th, I got the first shot and it went fine. They called and said the second shot was here exactly two months after the first. But I had a flu shot last week so I postponed the second shot to this Sat. , two months and a week after the first. I hope they're not too close together but my family members had terrible cases so I guess I'll suffer reactions from the second shot.

Save    
patriciae_gw

DH and I have both had the full two course of shots and it went well for both of us. A little sore just like getting a tetanus shot both times. No fever, just extra warmth at the site of injection and DH had pinkness around the site but no extra pain. He has had shingles in the past and would not want to repeat that. Our reaction is the typical one so for those who are fearful I hope you react like we did.

1 Like Save    
chisue

DH and I just got our flu shots this week and have had both the pneumonia vaccines -- good forever. I don't know that either of us wants the Shingrex 2-part vaccine. We had the earlier one in 2009. We are 78 and 81.

I had a mild case of shingles in 2008 -- caught early and given the anti-herpes meds. It was only 'annoying'. Lucky me!

I have read (in a post on the KT from mdln) that people rarely get shingles a third time. I am receiving Velcade (chemo) for Multiple Myeloma. It carries enough risk for shingles that I must take an anti-herpes (Valcyclovir) daily. The chemo does a pretty good job of beating up on me, without anything added!

We aren't certain that DH ever had the pox. I had a severe case when very young.

Save    
morz8

Chisue, my mother has always sworn she did not have chicken pox and we've had no way to verify that. It would seem odd if she hadn't had at least a mild case - she shared a bedroom with two sisters and a brother growing up and all three of us - her children - had chicken pox as kids so she was clearly exposed without having a case herself when we were kids. My guess would have been if she didn't catch it from one of us, taking care of us in a 3 bed one bath house, then she'd had chicken pox herself as a child.

After a few years of not knowing if she should be vaccinated for shingles, her doctor did give her the Zoster type about 6-7 years back. She has not had the shingrix and I don't know what his thoughts are on it.

Save    
patriciae_gw

Chisue, I had to wait six months after my last treatments(Leukemia) before I could get the shots. I had been taking an antiviral for a year. I don't remember ever having chickenpox but my mother always said we all had it. Specialists do say all most everyone has had it but not always noticeably. My doctor as adamant that I should get the new shots when I could but your case is entirely different as you are still in treatment. It was important for me to wait for the medications to clear my system. I was a little nervous getting the second shot because of what I have read but I learned most people don't have any trouble but people seldom bother to say so which is why I did.

Save    
Alisande

A few days ago a neurologist advised me to take 250mg of l-lysine every day to prevent shingles. I know lysine is effective against cold sores, but I thought the jury was still out on shingles. The doctor specified herpes zoster, but I wonder if he meant to say herpes simplex. In any case I've had both, so I'll take the lysine.

Save    
chisue

Thanks for responding. I will be getting chemo as long as I live, so I guess no Shingrex is in my future.

I agree that DH probably had the pox. Didn't everyone of our age group!

It's encouraging to read that some here had no or mild reactions to Shingrex. I'm not sure what protection can be expected from the earlier shingles vaccine that we had 10 years ago. I'm thinking DH should get the Shingrex.

I'm also wondering the long term effect o.f taking Valacyclovir 500 (anti-herpes) on a daily basis *forever*.

Save    
lily316

I got my second shingles vaccine today at Rite Aid two months and one week after the first one which the pharmacist says is ideal. So far absolutely no reaction and even my arm doesn't hurt. I saw what shingles did to family members and I was always fearful of getting it. My doctor's office still doesn't have the vaccine. I wonder why that is when my drug store does.

1 Like Save    
chisue

Reading the Glaxo literature, it looks like 78% of those vaccinated experienced considerable pain. Am I reading that right?

It also appears that protection from the prior shingles vaccine (which we had in 2009) lasts only five years. Yet, medical advice is to get it anyway if the Zostravax is not available?

Save    
patriciae_gw

I think Chisue the advice is the other way around. If you cant get the Shingrix(because of availability) go ahead and get the Zostravax even though it is not as effective. In your case I don't think you can do either. One of my sisters also has MM and she like you is on the antiviral for life. She has already had a bout of shingles early on in her treatment. I am in remission for CLL and I had to wait first for the Chemo and then for the antiviral(I was on that four months longer) to completely clear my system before I could get the shots.

I was also concerned about the extended use of the antiviral but my Oncologist was encouraging that it is safe for most people to take for years and years. We are borrowed time people so we do what we have to do.

Save    
Alisande

Chisue, I didn't know we were advised to get the prior shingles vaccine (which I believe is Zostavax) if Shingrix is unavailable. I tried to get Zostavax again, but was told by one pharmacy that they're not giving it anymore.

Save    
chisue

* I* will not be getting any shingles vaccine. I'm researching for DH. We both had the Zostravax in 2009, but evidently that has a five year value.

Yes, we're having to pay some peculiar 'interest' on our borrowed time! lol

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I had the first Shingrex dose a few weeks ago. The injection site was sore for about 12 hours but that was my only reaction. I think I was lucky getting off so easy.

I had some difficulty finding it. My doc had it but my insurance requires I get such inoculations at a pharmacy. Many of the normal locations in my area (CVS, Wallgreens) had wait lists. At one, the list was over 6 months long. Another said they stopped keeping a list and instead advised interested customers to call or come by on Tuesdays (the one delivery day) at 1:00pm to see if available but that they'd been selling out on Tuesdays when they had a delivery (and not every Tuesday) by evening time. In an attempt to find a solution, I thought about trying pharmacies in newer neighborhoods, my thought being - residents of recently built neighborhoods tend to be younger would have less demand for an inoculation more typically needed by older customers. Bingo, that worked. Phone calls to two pharmacies about 20 minutes away near new development areas responded that both had it in stock and wondered why I was so surprised to hear that. Mission accomplished and I know where to go 2 months from now.

For those having trouble finding Shingrex near where you live, try that.

Save    
lily316

My Rite Aid pharmacist says they get a shipment on Wednesday. My doctor told me to get it there because they still don't have it and that's been a few years now that I've been on their list. My arm hurt yesterday and last night and a tiny bit now but nothing I can't handle.

Save    
graywings123

In an attempt to find a solution, I thought about trying pharmacies in newer neighborhoods, my thought being - residents of recently built neighborhoods tend to be younger would have less demand for an inoculation more typically needed by older customers. Bingo,

Very clever!

Save    
lisa_fla

Elmer that was a great idea! It might not be as easy to get the second dose if word gets out which pharmacies usually have them in stock. Last year I had no trouble getting the first dose. Getting the second was challenging. Every time I was in a store with a pharmacy I asked if it was in stock. After a few weeks it was finally found it. I had no problem at all with the first dose. With the second, I felt like I was coming down with something. I just felt unwell and had chills and went to bed early. I was completely fine by morning. After that, due to the shortage, they wised up and stopped giving new shots and used the shipments they got in for people needing the second dose. This year Walgreens has had a sign for months that says Shingrix in Stock. I thought the shortage eased.

Save    
chisue

Is Dose #1 the same as Dose #2? Curious about the more adverse reaction to the second dose. Maybe it 'reacts' with the prior dose that's altered your body?

You're a smart cookie, Elmer!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life How Your Home Can Heal a Bad Day
The comforts of home can be a soothing tonic for those days when nothing goes right
Full Story
Houzz Tour: Traditional Shingle With a Modern Soul
A home’s shingle-style exterior fits in with the neighborhood and allows for an open, harmonious flow inside
Full Story
Craftsman Design Houzz Tour: Major Changes Open Up a Seattle Waterfront Home
Taken down to the shell, this Tudor-Craftsman blend now maximizes island views, flow and outdoor connections
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
With over 25,000 man-hours of time spent in the field, Keda specializes in turning mundane property into a warm,... Read More