Houzz Logo Print
albert_135

New shingles vaccine, bad reaction to second dose.

Are you hearing this? Over on SDMBNew shingles vaccine, bad reaction to second dose. a couple have mentioned it. My primary MD sort of hinted vaguely that there might be some reaction.

Comments (103)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Raven and Barbara, I'm so sorry you're suffering like this (with two different causes). I had shingles near my waist, toward the back, 10 years ago. I never got the rash, and based on what I've heard about others' experiences, it was probably a relatively mild case. But I couldn't lie down, was in pain constantly, and was out of work for two weeks. At some point after that I got the shingles vaccine, and then some time later (not related to the shot) I got shingles, with rash, on my eyelid. Again, not terrible. But no fun--and worrisome.

    There's no way I'm going to go for the newer shingles vaccine. Like Winter, I react badly to a lot of meds. And I don't want to trigger a flare in a couple of chronic health issues. Years ago I gave up getting the flu vaccine after a bad reaction: my whole body was on fire all night. I started getting flu shots again after my older grandson was born. So far so good. But this is one boat I'm not gonna rock.

  • 7 years ago

    Alisande said:

    There's no way I'm going to go for the newer shingles vaccine.

    ~~~~

    does that mean you'll try the older one? They do say that it is pretty effective.

  • Related Discussions

    Shingles Vaccine?

    Q

    Comments (26)
    azzalea- I talked this over with my family physician of 20 years and he got the vaccine and I trusted his advice to get it myself. You are doing yourself a disservice by reading anecdotal reports about this on the Internet, getting concerned, and trying to form conclusions from piecemeal info. In your first post you said: "how often do we hear 5-10-15 years down the road, "Well, we thought it was safe at the time, but we're finding...." Well I'm trying to think when in my lifetime I've ever heard this said about a vaccine that had been approved for widespread use on the population, and I can't come up with one instance. No vaccine is 100% effective, and no vaccine doesn't produce some occasional side effect, but I think your numbers about people having reactions are distorting your view. The potential side effects -- redness, pain, swelling, itching, warmth, or a rash at the site of the injection -- are very mild compared to what can happen if you get it. In my case, I had no reaction of any kind. I have had those side effects from my annual flu shot, but it doesn't make me stop getting it though. Sadly, our society has become suspicious of medicine, and vaccinations in particular, and disease rates for preventable diseases are climbing. All the paranoia about vaccinations causing autism -- which have been thoroughly debunked -- has led parents to hold off on vaccinations...with the result that many children are dying from things such as whooping cough. The Internet is a wonderful source of information, and also a horrible one, because everyone, qualified or not, has a soapbox. If you want to research shingles vaccine further, get your info from reliable web sites, like Mayo Clinic and the Centers for Disease Control. It's your choice whether to get the vaccine. The only thing I can say is that if you opt out, and later contract shingles, you're going to be kicking yourself. I've had friends get it and it lasted for many painful months, and left one of them with permanent damage.
    ...See More

    The new Shingles Vaccine

    Q

    Comments (85)
    Maybe that explains why I haven't gotten a reminder about getting the second shot yet. I'm planning on waiting a bit anyway based on the reaction I got to the first one. I don't know anyone who got anything like that or what explains it. I want to talk to my doctor about it before having the second one. I hope they get the supply up for those who want the first shot and the ones who need the second one. I don't want to start over and get a third one -- assuming that's what they would do.
    ...See More

    Debating shingles vaccine, not vaccines, just the timing on this one!

    Q

    Comments (57)
    The health dept. told me there were two pharmacies offering Shingrix in my community, CVS and one other regional chain one. My doctor is on haitus all month and I'm still debating on jumping ship. Either way, it will be at least a month before I can get any services from a personal physician. I still haven't heard back from my insurance company about coverage of the Shingrix, but I'll extrapolate from hubs experience with Aetna supplemental and project that it will be expensive for the vaccine and minimal if any coverage by my insurance company. I don't think my coverage will be better than his. But I have to find out for sure before I can maybe pursue some special program through our health department. But I'll bet that too will be minimal support. They need our money and have us over a barrel, so there you have it.
    ...See More

    The Shingles Vaccine kicked my butt

    Q

    Comments (21)
    Jewels - My reaction was exactly the same as yours for the first shot. I felt awful - I couldn't even sit in light because of the headache. But, my second shot I was absolutely fine - a sore arm at the shot site and that was it. I did plan to take the next day off just in case but everything was fine. My DH didn't react at all to either shot except for a sore arm in both cases. I've read enough threads here, as most of us have done, to realize that everyone reacts differently. And I don't want to say that your pharmacist is wrong as it's best to be prepared, but in my case she is wrong.
    ...See More
  • 7 years ago

    I had the older one.....3 years later I came down with shingles. Luckily, it

    was a pretty light case. But......not so sure about the new doses. My one

    sister never had the vaccines and never had shingles. What's wrong with

    this picture? LOL

  • 7 years ago

    I had the older one but am on two lists here for the new version and nada yet. My daughter got the first on and now can't find the second one. I definitely don't want shingles.

  • 7 years ago

    does that mean you'll try the older one?


    Sorry, Bleusblue, I left out part of my post by mistake. I just edited it to add that between my bouts with shingles I did get the older shot.

  • 7 years ago

    Alisande said

    does that mean you'll try the older one?

    Sorry, Bleusblue, I left out part of my post by mistake. I just edited it to add that between my bouts with shingles I did get the older shot.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~

    so there are several of us who had the older shot and got shingles anyway. They do claim that if you've had the shot, even if you do get shingles it is milder than it would have been. I guess they figure that out with statistics.

  • 7 years ago

    Lily,

    Re: second dose. My second dose arrived with the first dose and is scheduled for 5/21. They promised to text remind me 24 hours prior.

  • 7 years ago

    Lucky you. Michael. Even the first shot is not available around here...pharmacies or doctor's offices.

  • 7 years ago

    I had my second Shingles shot, just recently, on May 15, 2019. The arm, of course, was sore for several days but about 10 days later, I've developed a rash around my left elbow area, as well as on the middle of my chest. After my first Shingles shot, I did get a little batch of Shingles, months later, in that same chest area. The itching drives me crazy, but the Gold bond helps,

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I got my first shingles vaccination today at a local pharmacy. (Has been in waiting list a long time so I was excited). The shot stung but not too bad. Then i went grocery shopping afterwards and my stomach felt bad, then I had a horrible bout of diarrhea as soon as I got home, about an hour or less after the shot. I felt fine, otherwise, until tonight! My gosh, I feel like I got hit by a truck. My body is aching all over, my eyes are watery, zero energy, and my arm and shoulders are hurting really bad. Feels very much like bad case of the flu.

    i had shingles about 6 years ago. It started out as what I thought were chigger bites on the side of my back under my bra strap. This quickly became itchy then very painful. I couldn’t work much. I vowed I’d do all I can to prevent myself from ever getting shingles again so even though I feel like crap tonight, it’s still better than getting full blown shingles.

    does anyone know if I am contagious right now? My daughter has an autoimmunity disease and she’s here visiting home on college break. Last thing the poor girl needs is to get something from me. Does anyone happen to know about it as contagious or hot?

  • 7 years ago

    I don't believe contagion is a factor but consider having your provider submit a reaction report to the CDC.

  • 7 years ago

    I wrote on May 28th about the rash I got from the shot, well its now June 3rd and I still have it. It spreading a little more to the left side of my chest. I think and hope its stopped spreading on my arm and it doesn't itch as bad, so I'm hoping its getting better. However, my nights are still restless because of it. I received my Zoster 2 Vaccine shot at the Health Dept in Bandera County. It only cost $10.00. I let them know about the side affect I've had from it. They said they were glad I let them know but if I would, report it to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) at www.vaers.hhs.gov or call 1-800-822-7967. *Note: These folks don't give out medical advice.

  • 7 years ago

    My rash was pretty generalized involving trunk and thighs. it lasted 3 weeks. It was bad enough that I wouldn't do it again.

  • 7 years ago

    I hear ya, Brooks, me neither.

  • 7 years ago

    I got my second shingles shot 2 weeks ago. Within 6 hours of the shot, I developed a sore arm, low-grade headache, nausea, and extreme tiredness. I stayed in the bed the next 24 hours. After that I was ok.

    On the first shot I only had a sore arm and a low-grade headache.

  • 7 years ago

    Just took the second shot. I began to develop swollen and painful glands in my neck on the left side, a very hot, red, swollen arm and a sore on my lower lip. I also had low grade fever and night sweats. It was not pleasant but I think it’s better than getting the shingles.

  • 7 years ago

    Not much to report about my second dose I received on 6/22/19 at 9 AM. Soreness at the injection site, low grade fever for a few hours. Slept 8 hours that night and felt normal in the morning.

  • 7 years ago

    Got the first dose today. Arm very sore, barely sleeping during a miserable restless night, a little better this morning. I hope we are not scaring people from getting the vaccine. See Raven's comment in particular, above. That's what is scary.

    Best to plan the injection when nothing is planned for the next day or two.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Today is day 2 after the first shot. I had a rough day one after the first shot. Chills, climbed in bed for hours. Fell asleep 10 times. Took off work which is rare for me. Was hoping that since I had symptoms for the first it would be less for the second but it looks un-correlated. I still plan on getting the 2nd shot - set my calendar to remind me in 2 months.

    I've seen too many people with Shingles and I don't want to risk getting it. Will get the next shot at a time when I have a few days off work.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I have to wait until after November 11 to get the second dose. I have vacation scheduled Nov. 21 until Dec. 2 so I think I will schedule an appointment at Walgreen's clinic for Nov. 20 after getting off work.

    I didn't have any issues after the first shot other than a sore arm for a couple days. I hope the second one goes just as well.

  • 6 years ago

    I didn't have an issues after the first one either but after the second I felt like I had been hit by a semi-truck but it only lasted 1 full day.

  • 6 years ago

    So I finally got the shot. Years ago I got the first one but this new one had a long waiting list that I was on at the doctor's office and Rite Aid. So finally August 19th, I got the first shot and it went fine. They called and said the second shot was here exactly two months after the first. But I had a flu shot last week so I postponed the second shot to this Sat. , two months and a week after the first. I hope they're not too close together but my family members had terrible cases so I guess I'll suffer reactions from the second shot.

  • 6 years ago

    DH and I have both had the full two course of shots and it went well for both of us. A little sore just like getting a tetanus shot both times. No fever, just extra warmth at the site of injection and DH had pinkness around the site but no extra pain. He has had shingles in the past and would not want to repeat that. Our reaction is the typical one so for those who are fearful I hope you react like we did.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    DH and I just got our flu shots this week and have had both the pneumonia vaccines -- good forever. I don't know that either of us wants the Shingrex 2-part vaccine. We had the earlier one in 2009. We are 78 and 81.

    I had a mild case of shingles in 2008 -- caught early and given the anti-herpes meds. It was only 'annoying'. Lucky me!

    I have read (in a post on the KT from mdln) that people rarely get shingles a third time. I am receiving Velcade (chemo) for Multiple Myeloma. It carries enough risk for shingles that I must take an anti-herpes (Valcyclovir) daily. The chemo does a pretty good job of beating up on me, without anything added!

    We aren't certain that DH ever had the pox. I had a severe case when very young.

  • 6 years ago

    Chisue, my mother has always sworn she did not have chicken pox and we've had no way to verify that. It would seem odd if she hadn't had at least a mild case - she shared a bedroom with two sisters and a brother growing up and all three of us - her children - had chicken pox as kids so she was clearly exposed without having a case herself when we were kids. My guess would have been if she didn't catch it from one of us, taking care of us in a 3 bed one bath house, then she'd had chicken pox herself as a child.

    After a few years of not knowing if she should be vaccinated for shingles, her doctor did give her the Zoster type about 6-7 years back. She has not had the shingrix and I don't know what his thoughts are on it.

  • 6 years ago

    Chisue, I had to wait six months after my last treatments(Leukemia) before I could get the shots. I had been taking an antiviral for a year. I don't remember ever having chickenpox but my mother always said we all had it. Specialists do say all most everyone has had it but not always noticeably. My doctor as adamant that I should get the new shots when I could but your case is entirely different as you are still in treatment. It was important for me to wait for the medications to clear my system. I was a little nervous getting the second shot because of what I have read but I learned most people don't have any trouble but people seldom bother to say so which is why I did.

  • 6 years ago

    A few days ago a neurologist advised me to take 250mg of l-lysine every day to prevent shingles. I know lysine is effective against cold sores, but I thought the jury was still out on shingles. The doctor specified herpes zoster, but I wonder if he meant to say herpes simplex. In any case I've had both, so I'll take the lysine.

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks for responding. I will be getting chemo as long as I live, so I guess no Shingrex is in my future.

    I agree that DH probably had the pox. Didn't everyone of our age group!

    It's encouraging to read that some here had no or mild reactions to Shingrex. I'm not sure what protection can be expected from the earlier shingles vaccine that we had 10 years ago. I'm thinking DH should get the Shingrex.

    I'm also wondering the long term effect o.f taking Valacyclovir 500 (anti-herpes) on a daily basis *forever*.

  • 6 years ago

    I got my second shingles vaccine today at Rite Aid two months and one week after the first one which the pharmacist says is ideal. So far absolutely no reaction and even my arm doesn't hurt. I saw what shingles did to family members and I was always fearful of getting it. My doctor's office still doesn't have the vaccine. I wonder why that is when my drug store does.

  • 6 years ago

    Reading the Glaxo literature, it looks like 78% of those vaccinated experienced considerable pain. Am I reading that right?

    It also appears that protection from the prior shingles vaccine (which we had in 2009) lasts only five years. Yet, medical advice is to get it anyway if the Zostravax is not available?

  • 6 years ago

    I think Chisue the advice is the other way around. If you cant get the Shingrix(because of availability) go ahead and get the Zostravax even though it is not as effective. In your case I don't think you can do either. One of my sisters also has MM and she like you is on the antiviral for life. She has already had a bout of shingles early on in her treatment. I am in remission for CLL and I had to wait first for the Chemo and then for the antiviral(I was on that four months longer) to completely clear my system before I could get the shots.

    I was also concerned about the extended use of the antiviral but my Oncologist was encouraging that it is safe for most people to take for years and years. We are borrowed time people so we do what we have to do.

  • 6 years ago

    Chisue, I didn't know we were advised to get the prior shingles vaccine (which I believe is Zostavax) if Shingrix is unavailable. I tried to get Zostavax again, but was told by one pharmacy that they're not giving it anymore.

  • 6 years ago

    * I* will not be getting any shingles vaccine. I'm researching for DH. We both had the Zostravax in 2009, but evidently that has a five year value.

    Yes, we're having to pay some peculiar 'interest' on our borrowed time! lol

  • 6 years ago

    I had the first Shingrex dose a few weeks ago. The injection site was sore for about 12 hours but that was my only reaction. I think I was lucky getting off so easy.

    I had some difficulty finding it. My doc had it but my insurance requires I get such inoculations at a pharmacy. Many of the normal locations in my area (CVS, Wallgreens) had wait lists. At one, the list was over 6 months long. Another said they stopped keeping a list and instead advised interested customers to call or come by on Tuesdays (the one delivery day) at 1:00pm to see if available but that they'd been selling out on Tuesdays when they had a delivery (and not every Tuesday) by evening time. In an attempt to find a solution, I thought about trying pharmacies in newer neighborhoods, my thought being - residents of recently built neighborhoods tend to be younger would have less demand for an inoculation more typically needed by older customers. Bingo, that worked. Phone calls to two pharmacies about 20 minutes away near new development areas responded that both had it in stock and wondered why I was so surprised to hear that. Mission accomplished and I know where to go 2 months from now.

    For those having trouble finding Shingrex near where you live, try that.

  • 6 years ago

    My Rite Aid pharmacist says they get a shipment on Wednesday. My doctor told me to get it there because they still don't have it and that's been a few years now that I've been on their list. My arm hurt yesterday and last night and a tiny bit now but nothing I can't handle.

  • 6 years ago

    In an attempt to find a solution, I thought about trying pharmacies in newer neighborhoods, my thought being - residents of recently built neighborhoods tend to be younger would have less demand for an inoculation more typically needed by older customers. Bingo,


    Very clever!

  • 6 years ago

    Elmer that was a great idea! It might not be as easy to get the second dose if word gets out which pharmacies usually have them in stock. Last year I had no trouble getting the first dose. Getting the second was challenging. Every time I was in a store with a pharmacy I asked if it was in stock. After a few weeks it was finally found it. I had no problem at all with the first dose. With the second, I felt like I was coming down with something. I just felt unwell and had chills and went to bed early. I was completely fine by morning. After that, due to the shortage, they wised up and stopped giving new shots and used the shipments they got in for people needing the second dose. This year Walgreens has had a sign for months that says Shingrix in Stock. I thought the shortage eased.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Is Dose #1 the same as Dose #2? Curious about the more adverse reaction to the second dose. Maybe it 'reacts' with the prior dose that's altered your body?

    You're a smart cookie, Elmer!

  • 6 years ago

    I got my first shingles vaccination three months ago (Oct 2019) here in Cathedral City because the CVS in Los Angeles never had it in inventory. Then I got my second shot yesterday here in CC, and there was no problem with inventory. BTW, the population here tends to be older instead of younger, even though CC is a younger city that where I live in L.A. My neighborhood in L.A. was built around 1950, but it is now part of Silicon Beach, and so a lot of younger techies live there. Cathedral City has a lot of retirees, like me, and people are moving here who have been priced out of Palm Springs, which is the adjacent city.

    Yesterday (and today) my arm was sore, and I had trouble sleeping last night and woke up about 2 am and stayed up for an hour and a half. Then I started getting chills and felt feverish and tired, and so I think I will take it easy today. We have a lot of chores to do here, but we'll be here until Saturday, and so I think I can get them done. Yesterday was a pool day in the afternoon, and so we did not get much done after 2 pm, but we did go to the pool supply store and bought another reclining floating raft (with drink holder), plus a second pool thermometer that is easier to read and won't get stuck in the filter when the water level is high, like it is now, due to the rain. I also bought a remote control toy yacht, which Kevin likes.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    We went to Safeway grocery store, got our 2nd shot two weeks ago. Also NO problem with inventory. When you swipe your store card @ Safeway, it earned us 5 rewards ..... = $7 off our next grocery purchase. Win...win! Also..a sore arm, but nothing more.

    A remote yacht! Cool! I once gave my brother a remote, red, 911 porsche. He chased the cat with it....:0(

  • 6 years ago

    Light flu-like symptoms with both injections (enough that I was very glad not to have had commitments the following day) as well as sore arm both times. Ibuprofen helped with the sore arm.

  • 6 years ago

    I took some Ibuprofen, and I hope that will help with my sore arm, but I'm going back to bed now for a couple of hours. I'm glad I got my shot on a Saturday after getting my chores done, and I don't really have to do anything today.

    Here my new yacht:


  • 6 years ago

    Slightly sore arm after the second one in October but really no side effects from either.

  • 6 years ago

    I got mine this year. Arm was sore, red and swollen with both shots. Pharmacist says it is 95% effective. Well worth the discomfort. I slept with an ice pack.

  • 6 years ago

    Lars - I felt as you do after the second one. I felt as if I had been hit by a truck. I couldn't even stand to have lights on. But it was only for one day. Hope you're feeling fine tomorrow.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    DH got his second Shingrex dose yesterday morning. He says he feels 'nothing'. Both he and our son have high pain tolerance though. Since both are adopted...we can't know if that's an inherited trait. I am *jealous*. My arm is still red and swollen at the injection site from my chemo six days ago.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I got my second dose in mid November. I had no problem with the first shot other than a sore arm. The second shot caused some body aches and fatigue the following day but not too bad. Glad to have that behind me!

  • 6 years ago

    I wanted to give an update on my lingering shingles residual pain in my hip. I have been taking amitripitiline and tramadol 25 mg at night for a different condition. However it has helped reduce the intensity of the pain in my hip from the shingles. It has not completely gone away but it is much less painful and doesn't itch as much either. I am not happy about taking the tramadol nightly but since it is helping multiple problems I guess it is worth it.

  • 6 years ago

    Following

Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio