SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lascatx

The new Shingles Vaccine

lascatx
6 years ago

I haven't seen a discussion of the new shingles vaccine -- Shingrix vs the old one, Zostavax, but I want to encourage anyone eligible to ge the vaccine.

Back in early February, my doctor told me about a new shingles vaccine that was more effective at preventing shingles as opposed to merely reducing severity. Next time I picked up a prescription, my pharmacist mentioned it also -- and she was the one who told me they are now recommending it starting at age 50 instead of 60. She was also able to quickly check and see that my insurance covered it 100%. I wasn't able to get it then, but got the first dose earlier this week. You get the second 2-6 months later.

My husband got shingles after having the older vaccine. Only then did we learn that the old vaccine was only 10-15% effective at preventing shingles, though some publications say as high as 50%. Apparently it was given more because it was effective at reducing the severity of a shingles outbreak. My husband got tot eh doctor in time to get an antiviral to also help reduce the severity and longevity of the outbreak and took pain meds. With all of that, if what my husband had was reduced severity, I don't want to see a full outbreak -- nor would you.

I used to think that the pain of shingles was caused by the blistering. That is the least of it. Shingles attacks the nerves and causes deep nerve pain. As well as a flu-like aching and exhaustion. An outbreak can last weeks to months. And if it can cause blindness if it impacts the optic nerve. It is scary stuff as well as very painful -- and the new vaccine is said to be about 90% effective at PREVENTING shingles. I highly recommend it.

That said, I apparently fell into the 10% or so who can get a fairly strong reaction to it. My arm got red and swelled like I'd been slugged by some big dude and the day after I was tired and in the evening felt like I was running a low grade fever. Next morning, I was back to just the sore arm. Way, way better than what DH had as a reduced severity outbreak. That was a month or so really bad and another month or two of aching. Who needs that?

Getting off the soapbox now...... You can't say you weren't told about it. ;-)

Comments (85)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz