SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dyhgarden

Vitamin D levels checked (and thyroid update)

DYH
5 years ago

Four weeks ago, my doctor had my vitamin D levels checked. My results were incredibly low! I take one prescription pill per week until late September and she'll recheck it then. After four weeks, I can't believe how much better I feel, in terms of not feeling down/depressed.

Vitamin D Total, 25OH --

Mine was 18 ng/ml

the normal range is 30 - 100 ng/ml

I'm surprised at how low it was, considering I'd just spent three weeks out in the sunshine of France and Italy. But, I also had other health issues related to my thyroid and stomach, so maybe I've not been absorbing the vitamin? My doctor also put me on B vitamins.

Since my thyroid lobectomy on July 11, my sinuses are clear for the first time in what seems like years. Also, I'd had a big, palpable benign lump on the same side of my neck (below my ear) as the diseased lobe, and now it's completely gone!

The follicular neoplasm/atypical cells of differentiated significance in the FNA biopsy, as well as the microcalcifications shown in the ultrasounds, came out benign in the pathology of the removed lobe. The nodule of concern was growing through the front of that thyroid lobe! So while it turned out not to be cancerous, it was still diseased.

I wonder (I'll ask my endocrinologist next visit) if my immune system had been fighting the diseased lobe and that's why my sinuses and that lump were present before the surgery. It feels somewhat miraculous!

My thyroid levels will be checked on August 10. I've not felt tired, but my temperature was only 96.9 at the surgeon's follow-up visit on Thursday.

I'm using Mederma Scar cream with SPF 30 on the incision.

Thanks again for all the support.

Comments (66)

• Bluebell66
    5 years ago

That’s great news. No cancer and you feel so great! Can’t beat that.

I have also been in the low Vit D camp. I broke a bone a few years ago and found out my D was only 8. After some super doses to get me back on track, I now take D3 daily.

DYH thanked Bluebell66
  • DYH
    Original Author
    5 years ago

beckysharp -- I've been able to stabilize my stomach using Pepcid Complete in the morning and before bed. I ate "regular" meals this weekend, so I've not lost more weight. I went with lentils and rice, risotto and other stomach-friendly meals. I really think that besides the gastritis inflammation, I must have difficulty processing alcohol, given all that swelling in Italy while drinking wine. I'll talk to my gastric doc after the endoscopy on August 14.

• Related Discussions

My new Vitamin Challenge

Q

Comments (7)
    Ellen, glad you got your D level checked out and got a dosage that works. Thanks for the tips about checking dosage after the 50,000 IU routine is off. Also, will suggest she take Magnesium with it. I need to get back on the Magnesium, docs had me off after accident. Wonderful that it helped your bone density issues. Do you taken any RX meds for bone density? DH has that issue as well, but hates the RX meds. Lyra, glad you get your fix in your dailies, too. I like to fix fresh salmon as well. Glad that the chronic pain is helped. I would like to have alot more knowledge about vitamins as a whole, too. Watching taped Dr. Oz and getting rid of his Top 10, some of which we had. Gotta start somewhere, but you are right about nutrious cooking, gotta get that going. Annie, serving cheesecake this weekend, will have to get the red wine to make it "essential". Brenda
    ...See More

Vitamin D and Depression

Q

Comments (15)
    Most often, it's this time of the year, after a winter without getting much light/sun. Sandy, [above].. got to the point with her greenhouse. We need more real sunlight. There was a talk about light, in 1987, Billy Meier & ET Quetzal, scroll down to just below 156 in link. some of the talk... through the changed lighting conditions and, thus, through unsuitable, artificial light. Stomach and intestinal troubles as well as serious stomach and intestinal diseases can be the result, as well as bad depressions and aggressiveness and also dizziness, nausea, blurred vision, and a general functional impairment of the immune system. Here is a link that might be useful: Contact Notes
    ...See More

Dry mouth and thyroid

Q

Comments (48)
    Anyway, I had no idea to check adrenal function when (preferably before, actually) going on Thyroid (similar to Armour). The doctors are supposed to do this, but they do not unless the patient has a problem. I had a huge problem as I raised my Armour.. I kept getting more hypothyroid and my doctor kept raising my Armour. I almost ended up agoraphobic, I would get so freaked out in a traffic jam or even driving though a row of trees! It did a number on my mental well-being, I had major brain-fog, swollen legs/feet and terrible constipation. All due to low cortisol and probably a high reverse T3... things my doctor never checked. My blood was FULL of thryoid hormone but it wasn't getting into my cells. I'm doing better now (not great) and it's only due to my own research. I frequent the forums mentioned above and both are very helpful. I also just bought the "Stop The Thyroid Madness" book and am really impressed so far. Lots more info here than on the website.
    ...See More

Vitamin D prescription

Q

Comments (16)
    A couple of years ago I was having severe pain all over my body. I ended up with catscans, MRI's, xrays, a colonoscopy, all sorts of tests trying to figure out what was wrong and I finally self-diagnosed myself with severe Vitamin D deficiency, which a blood test confirmed. It was so low that it was elevating the ALT levels in my blood and made my doctor worry about my liver before we figured out what it was. My blood levels returned to normal once I started supplementing. $10 prescription and a week later and I felt 100% better. To me it's a miracle vitamin. If I stop taking it for a few weeks, my bones start aching and I know I need to start up again. It's the only vitamin I take where I can literally feel the difference in my body. I wish I had realized earlier how important it is.
    ...See More
  • beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    5 years ago

Good news all around, dyh : ) .

DYH thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • happy2b…gw
    5 years ago

Your news is so good to hear.

DYH thanked happy2b…gw
  • Bonnie
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Great news! Glad to hear that you are feeling better.

DYH thanked Bonnie
  • gsciencechick
    5 years ago

I am also having difficulties with processing alcohol. Don't know if this is gallbladder related or just an aging related change.

DYH thanked gsciencechick
  • DYH
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have adenomyomatosis of the gallbladder, but no gallstones.

• Allison0704
    5 years ago

Your surgery, and this thread, prompted me to get my surgery scheduled since we have moved/settled somewhat. Working around other family members Drs appointments/outpatient procedures, August birthdays and travel, so its tentatively scheduled for mid-August. Ordering Mederma. Are you using their night time as well? I didn't use last time, and my scar was quite "attractive." That surgery was not long after OJ/Nicole, so people would jokingly ask if I had dated OJ. :D fyi, during my gallbladder surgery, the Dr injected saline into my scar area, which made it better. I wonder if the second time around will only make it bigger. It is what it is, just want the dang thing out so I can stop worrying about it becoming cancerous.

DYH thanked Allison0704
  • DYH
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm using the Mederma with SPF 30 (my surgeon said to use sunscreen on it for a year). Now that I've tried the Mederma daytime, I'm going to Target to pick up the night cream.

He said it's going to take time for the redness to go away. My scar is really high on my neck, but he was trying to use a natural wrinkle! LOL I thought it would be above the collarbone. I'm still swollen and tender to the touch.

I'm thinking of talking to a plastic surgeon when I get back from Sicily in the fall. I'd like to have the skin above the scar tucked up a bit . I've never had any plastic surgery before, but it's time!

Aside from the stomach, I feel so much better! I hope you'll get the same relief from sinuses and swollen neck glands.

So, here's the scar on my 64 yo neck! I can't believe I'm sharing this! It will be two weeks tomorrow.

The worst redness (on and above the right corner) was caused by the steri-strip cutting into my swollen skin. My surgeon was actually miffed about that -- his resident applied the strip.

• Allison0704
    5 years ago
    That’s not bad at all! Mine is on the collar bone and twice as long.
    DYH thanked Allison0704
  • Allison0704
    5 years ago

How are you feeling/doing? My surgery is scheduled for Monday morning. I met with surgeon Thursday and asked to get my prescriptions ahead of time so they could be filled. Have a 1 month follow up with my new MD, who has 3 endocrinologist in her office if she needs to consult or I need to see (foot in door with required, by Drs, recommendation).

Are you taking synthroid? What dosage did you start? I thought they would start low, but they start in the middle. I also asked him about using scar area, and he said it is too low, at my collarbone. He said it's too low, but I swear it's where it was when I had the surgery in 1991. Need to look at photos taken after that time to see scar.

DYH thanked Allison0704
  • DYH
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I’m feeling great. My levels will be checked for the first time on Monday, but I doubt I’ll need meds.

Wishing you all the best on your surgery. Keep us posted.

5 years ago

Wishing you both the best, Allison and dyh, and a speedy return to (better than) normal!

DYH thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

I am so glad you are feeling better, dyh.

Allison, I hope you will sail through the surgery and recovery.

DYH thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    5 years ago

I'm delighted to hear that you feel better DYH!

Allison, best of luck.

DYH thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Funkyart
    5 years ago

Great to hear you are feeling so well, Dyh!

Wishing you all the best, Allison!

DYH thanked Funkyart
  • jmck_nc
    5 years ago

Wishing you both the best!

Dyh, I can recommend an excellent plastic surgeon if you go that route. He is in Chapel Hill and does only facial work. I think your scar will fade away but can't hurt to get a consult.

DYH thanked jmck_nc
  • DYH
    Original Author
    5 years ago

jmck_nc I'm thinking of getting a consult because the scar tightened up the neck there so that there is sag right above it and wrinkles below it. It wouldn't take much to gently lift the neck. Something for winter. I've had far too much anesthesia/sedation this year!

My endoscopy was last Tuesday and awaiting results of multiple biopsies taken. He said my stomach looks good compared to the inflammation shown on the CT scan a month prior. I've been eating stomach-friendly foods and small meals to calm it down. If nothing unusual shows up on the biopsies, then my doctor believes I have a food intolerance, but I think it was drinking wine on the wine tour -- lunch, wineries, dinner, etc. daily.

• Allison0704
    5 years ago

Thank you, everyone.

That's great, dyh, but I'm confused. Why would you not need meds if they removed the entire thyroid?

DYH thanked Allison0704
  • DYH
    Original Author
    5 years ago

My right lobe was removed.

I still have my left lobe and my doctor wanted to give it 4 weeks to see if it picked up the slack in producing the thyroid hormones by itself. Since I feel better with one lobe, have more energy, then I doubt I'll need med.

• Allison0704
    5 years ago

Misunderstood. Thought it was removed completely.

DYH thanked Allison0704
  • amicus
    5 years ago

dyh, my DH had only his right lobe removed, about 16 years ago. They gave him a trial period too, but the left lobe didn't provide sufficient thyroid hormone, so he was put on thyroid meds, which have never caused him any problems. So don't be too worried if you do end up on medication, as most people have no problems with it. Best wishes!

DYH thanked amicus
  • Yayagal
    5 years ago

All good news, so happy it turned out in the best possible way. Yes, get the plastic surgery and, whoosh, no scar.

DYH thanked Yayagal
  • OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

Dyh, it’s good to hear you have had such good results with your surgery. So glad to hear you have been feeling so much better.

Allison, wishing you the best for your surgery and recovery as well.

DYH thanked OutsidePlaying
  • jmck_nc
    5 years ago

Dyh, here is the recommendation for a PS consult. https://www.finnface.com/

DYH thanked jmck_nc
  • DYH
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Allison -- I hope all went well for you today.

I'm to start taking meds -- from my doctor:

Your thyroid levels are now underactive. I am going to send 75mcg of levothyroxine daily to your pharmacy. Please take this on an empty stomach, no food for 30-60 minutes and then no multivitamins for 2-4 hours of your thyroid hormone.

I will then order repeat thyroid levels for 6 weeks. thanks

Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) 11.21 µIU/mL (mine) 0.34 - 5.66 µIU/mL (Normal)

Thyroxine, Free (FT4) 0.59 ng/dL (mine) 0.52 - 1.21 ng/dL (normal)

• Bonnie
    5 years ago

Dyh, with a TSH of 11.2 I'd be in bed! You must have been feeling really awful before the surgery. Once you get on levothyroxine you can expect to feel great! Taking it on an empty stomach is key. I take mine when I get up in the early morning hours to go to the bathroom, then go back to bed and when it's time to get up I run for the coffee pot and breakfast. Do post back in a few weeks.

DYH thanked Bonnie
  • DYH
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Before surgery, I was sleeping 12 hours a day! I've been getting sleepy again over the last week, so I guess this explains it.

I was trying to figure out the best time to take it so that it doesn't delay my breakfast. I like your schedule!

I just picked up the meds from the pharmacy and asked if I could drink something other than water and she said non-citrus juices. I have trouble drinking water and taking pills on an empty stomach. Guess I've got to just deal with the queasiness.

Do you avoid anything with vitamins in it for four hours? I drink Trader Joe's Almond Milk for breakfast and it has Vitamins A, C, D, E, iron and calcium. It seems those may be an issue.

• gsciencechick
    5 years ago

I do the same thing as Bonnie, take it when I get up to use the bathroom in the night. Then I take my Vit D and biotin with breakfast. Yeah, you should avoid calcium within 4 hours of the thyroid meds. But if you take the thyroid med 3:30 a.m. or so and then eat breakfast 7:30 you should be fine. Hope you feel better soon!

• Allison0704
    5 years ago
    Sorry you’re having to take meds. I knew no food for 4 hours but didn’t realize calcium. Ugh. This is going to require diet change for me.

On taking during the night, I don’t always get up at the same time so I don’t know how that would work.

Thanks for asking about my surgery. It has been a rough day. I haven’t been able to hold anything down, and dozed on/off all day. Feeling better now. I’m glad I had removed because there was a spot of cancer about the size of a bb. Dr said is was contained but he will do consults to see if I need one dose of the radioactive drink or nothing at all. My vision is just now back to normal, so I haven’t googled. Poor DH was here until 7pm then DD2 came for a few hours. DH had a cancer scare recently week. His PSA jumped 4 points in a year so he had a biopsy 10 days ago. All 15 places came back negative. He goes back in 6mths. His scare prompted me to get my surgery now so I could deal with his after. Funny how things workout sometimes.
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

I am so sorry it was such a hard day, Allison. I hope you are feeling much better in the morning and have no more procedures to endure. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

DYH thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

Allison, sometimes, you just ‘know’ it’s the right thing to do, and you did! I’m sorry you had a rough day and wish you a better rest of the week. It’s nice to have your DH and DD close to take care of you.

For all of you having to make the dietary and pill schedule adjustments, I hope it will be an easy transition. I know I would also find it hard, just as you are.

DYH thanked OutsidePlaying
  • DYH
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Allison - I'm sorry you're having a rough go of it.

I was fortunate that my medical team immediately gave me something in my IV at the first sign of nausea. They also prescribed Zofran for me to take home with me, but I didn't need it because the only Oxy I got was the one pill in the hospital. After that, I took Tylenol for pain.

I nibbled graham crackers and had ginger ale that first night (I didn't stay over in the hospital because I did well, and my DIL is an anesthesiologist, so I stayed with them).

Breakfast was so difficult -- all of my breakfast items seem to contain calcium or other vitamins. I ended up taking my pill at 6:30 am and waiting two hours to eat -- but, only a non-vitamined granola bar and a glass of ginger ale. I sent my endocrinologist a message asking about foods containing vitamins. Also, I'm traveling to Europe in September and need to adapt to the time zone difference, especially while enroute, as I have a grueling 2-day journey to my destination (Sicily).

5 years ago

Hoping you have a much better day today, Allison, and sending more good wishes as you each adjust to new schedules. Hope the adjustments go quickly and smoothly.

• Allison0704
    5 years ago
    I mentioned to the anesthesiologist that I got sick just a little after gallbladder removal, so they were taking precautions. Not sure why I got so sick this time. I’m feeling much better this morning. Was wide awake when Dr came so was able to get questions answered. It was Papillary cancer. Totally encased in a nodule. Many nodules. He will get report and discuss with endocrinologist that’s in my new MD office (same building his office is in). He said it would have been worse down the road, so glad we decided to remove now. Waiting on paperwork so I can go home. Got RXs filled presurgeyy, but probably won’t take pain meds. Haven’t requested any since later afternoon.
    DYH thanked Allison0704
  • gsciencechick
    5 years ago

Allison, hope you are feeling better soon and on the way to recovery.

dhy, good to check with the doctor. I think the fortified foods are less of an issue. It's the supplements like TUMS, etc, that interfere with thyroid med absorption. But I take my Vitamin D in the morning and it doesn't seem to be an issue for me. Some people take their supplements at night with dinner. That might be a better option for you.

• DYH
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wow, Allison! Good thing you had it removed! Hoping your recovery goes smoothly.

• DYH
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm going to take my meds at night, because it won't disrupt my life like taking it before breakfast.

It's morning when I want my calcium (almond milk or yogurt). I can take my multivitamins and calcium at lunch. My endocrinologist didn't answer about the foods with vitamins, but since those are breakfast foods, I'm okay with it.

From my endocrinologist today:

The time of day you take your thyroid medication does not matter and it doesn't matter if it differs one day to the next.

If easier based on your eating schedule, you could take it at night as long as 2-3 hours after a meal and not within 2-4 hours of multivitamins, calcium, etc.

• gsciencechick
    5 years ago

Great response from the doctor!

• Allison0704
    5 years ago
    I usually don’t eat anything after dinner, which we eat early, so bedtime is probably better for me too. I’ve heard 30 minutes and 1 hour before eating, if taking in the morning. I need to scroll back up and find again. Technically if it’s 30 minutes that’s me taking out dogs, feeding them and checking on cat things. But I like my first cup of chai as soon as I sit down.

I also have an RX for 7 days of Calcitriol .25mcg, twice a day and citrical petites 100 to take with them.
    DYH thanked Allison0704
  • DYH
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Taking the meds at night doesn't disrupt my life. I'm a morning person, that's when the time restrictions upset my routine.

Allison--is the calcitrol because of your parathyroid glands? Those aren't usually removed, but can be bruised from surgery.

• Allison0704
    5 years ago

To avoid hypocalcemia after a total thyroidectomy.

DYH thanked Allison0704
  • Allison0704
    5 years ago

My hands were tingling this morning, and my lips this afternoon, so I called my Dr. Taking calcium more often for a few days and it should go away. Anyone else experience hypocalcemia? He said my levels were good Tuesday, and the fact it didn't start until today is a good sign.

The good news, my report was great. No other cancerous spots were found.

DYH thanked Allison0704
  • DYH
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Good to act quickly. Great news on the pathology.

Heal quickly!

• Allison0704
    5 years ago
    How are you doing? I only needed to take extra calcium for 36 hours. Haven’t experienced any more tingling. I’m taking my thyroid med when I go to restroom between 3-5am and go back to bed (thanks for mentioning that, above). I feel fine but have absolutely no appetite. The last two days I have slept later, but I’m not tired during the day. Will be interesting to see where my numbers are when I go to the Dr next month.

I went to my dermatologist yesterday for skin cancer screening, and she gave me a Serica brochure. She said it’s much much better than Mederma. The brochure had a $5 off coupon from Walgreens, and it was already $5 less than on Amazon. It’s only 1oz but a thin, clear gel so a little goes a long way.
    DYH thanked Allison0704
  • DYH
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Glad to hear you're doing well.

I didn't have much of an appetite, but I was also experiencing stomach issues (now better) at the time.

I've been on levothyroxine 75mg for 9 days now. I keep expecting to feel something. I take my vitamins in the morning. I stop eating anything at 8:00 pm and take my thyroid at 10:30-11:00pm.

I may try Serica, but I don't see SPF listed. The thing about Mederma is that is contains sunscreen, which my surgeon told me to use.

• PRO
    Missi Smith Design Co.
    5 years ago

This might be a dumb question ... did anyone have any side effects from taking Vitamin D? I have been avoiding it since multi-vitamins usually make me nauseous.

DYH thanked Missi Smith Design Co.
  • Allison0704
    5 years ago
    The dermatologist said to use sunscreen too so I use a moisturizer with SPF.

Glad you’re doing well. I definitely felt off the first week. I’m taking 100mg. My sinuses feel better too and I’m curious to see if the fall weather (and leaves/dust) bothers me this year.
    DYH thanked Allison0704
  • DYH
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Missi -- no Vitamin D side effects for me, but I'm using a prescription from my doctor. Don't take too much as it isn't excreted from the body, it builds up. So, I wouldn't take it unless your doctor tests your levels and tells you how much to take. Mine is once a week for 12 weeks, then 2000 per day. She'll check my levels again in six months.

• PRO
    Missi Smith Design Co.
    5 years ago

Thank you DYH! Mine is also a prescription from my doctor. I haven't taken it yet since I was afraid I would feel sick. Thanks so much for replying to my message.

DYH thanked Missi Smith Design Co.