SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flatcrock

5-room remodel: architect, or designer?

Lew Bryson
5 years ago

We're remodeling a long-neglected 1860s home in rural Pennsylvania. The top two floors were easy: 2 bedrooms, a bathroom, and an attic "bunkhouse" room. We've put on a new porch, roof, and siding.

But now we have the real core of the house to do. There are five rooms, arranged roughly in an L-shape with the top of the L at the front of the house, beside a foyer area. There are two rooms, about 10x12, with the entrance from the foyer into the second room. That leads into what is currently the kitchen, about 12x16. As you enter the kitchen from the second room, there is a laundry and full bath at the far end of the kitchen, and to the right of the kitchen, there is a family room with lots of windows and the back door to the house.

The problem is that we're not sure what to do with the rooms. We were thinking of the front room as a guest room/office (I work at home), and the second room as a library. We'll probably stick with that, but we're thinking about making the family room the kitchen, and the kitchen a den/TV room...but then we thought about opening up both rooms (and the laundry) into a kitchen-based great room, which my wife's parents had in their home, a very warm and welcoming space with a pass-through counter and cooktop in the middle of the space.

We're not really sure what to do, and want some input. Would you suggest an architect, a kitchen designer, a general home designer? We don't want a "standard solution," we have a lot of thoughts about the kitchen, and I won't be talked out of the library! There are a lot of ways we could go.

Family room currently; waiting further decision.

The kitchen (with our realtors), looking through into the 'library' and the front room. (The drop ceiling's gone, and the plan is to open the ceiling above to a gabled space.)

In the library, looking to the front room. Entry to the foyer is to the left, double windows to the right, kitchen is behind POV. We've had the rooms gutted, and drywall put up to hold in place.

Comments (6)