SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greensmoothie

Do I need an architect or a designer?

B J
8 years ago

Hi,

I'm looking to do some remodeling at my house on the SF Peninsula and I'm unsure of whether I need to go with an architect or a designer. I plan to keep within the existing footprint of my home, but possibly raise the ceilings, knock out a wall between kitchen and dining room that could be load bearing, and extending kitchen into the garage. These might be the only things I need an architect or structural engineer for?

In terms of the actual remodel, I'm looking to do the following things depending on estimated costs:

• completely remodel and possibly expand the kitchen
  • open the kitchen to the dining room
  • replace dining room windows with a sliding french door with landing/deck to backyard
  • cosmetically upgrade the bathroom
  • replace original double hung windows to match the Marvin windows in bedrooms
  • Install garage that matches window
  • Upgrade electrical panel
  • Upgrade HVAC and ductwork
  • Drywall garage
  • Paint exterior
  • Advise on landscaping

Through this process, I am looking for someone that can do more than just drawings. I'm looking for someone who will work with me in conceptualizing what I want, provide advice on appliances, fixtures, and paint colors, help with prioritizing work within budget, and finding a reputable contractor to make this a reality. Of the architects in the area that I've spoken to, they will only work on projects $500K and up, they will only do drawings, or they did not give me enough in the initial session to make me feel comfortable selecting them.

Thanks in advance for you advice!

Comments (6)