SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karina_lande

Made my floor plan, do I need an architect, a draftsman, an engineer?

Karina Lande
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I have designed our home, tried to use all space wisely, laid out specifically to the land it will sit on. It is an “upside down” house I think it’s called, with main living area on second floor. 38x44 footprint, 1672sqft main floor, 760 sqft living in lower level plus 912 sqft garage. 3 bedrooms 2.5 baths. I have hand drawn and used apps to get close rendering.

My main questions are where do I go from here to get buildable plans? Do I need an architect even though I’ve done the design? A draftsman to take it to the next level or an engineer, or all 3?! Basically who would take this plan and add in the plumbing, electrical, and HVAC layout? Who can help me choose a roofline and determine most cost effective way to go, IE directions and avoiding custom trusses. Who could give me cost and structure and roof line designs required to possibly vault the living room? Who can determine structural needs for large window spans and the most cost effective window sizes to obtain the overall look I want IE large walls of windows but is it cheaper to do multiple small windows?

Specifics:

8x8 Entry

4’ “hallway”

French doors to side deck

1x6 windows ea side of main door

kitchen 16x18

8’ window over sink

french doors to covered porch

6x12 pantry

Dining room 12x8 (+4’ walkway (12x12)

8’ x 6’ window wall

Theres a dormer above kitchen/dining open from interior with 10’ window span, open to shapes and design options here

living room 18x18

12x6 window wall

possible vaulted with extended windows up vault if this isn’t a $20,000 additional cost or adds too much complication and cost to roofline.

Half bath 4x6

all hallways are 4’

laundry 7x8 approx

office 8x12

4x4 window

master 16x14

8x6 window wall

master bath 9x12

6x4 window over tub

closet 8x9

Lower level

Great room 16x20

6x4 window

bedroom 10x14

two 4x4 windows

bedroom 12x12

two 4x4 windows

bathroom 8x12

garage 38x24

1 man door

1 interior door

2 4x4 windows

1 garage door

Front of house drawing shows dormer, side view shows possible vault and additional windows extending up

Any help greatly appreciated! Not sure where to go from here and how to get my questions answered.

Comments (30)