SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetgumacres

Our layout? New remodeler+young architect+funky house

sweetgumacres
14 years ago

The house is an old Ozark farmhouse with not a fancy board in it. The front entrance disappeared decades ago when the front porch morphed into a utility room and bathroom, so the main entrance is a side door directly into the kitchen. Traffic flows through the kitchen to the dining and living rooms as well as up the stairs to the attic bedrooms. The kitchen is currently a U-shape, with the gas range at the end of a peninsula basically in the middle of the room. This creates a pinch point with the stairs as well as a problem with venting for the gas range (currently there is none, and the ceiling contains plumbing for the bathroom above).

Here's an idea of the current situation:

In the new plan, we've tried to create a separate foyer area and gotten rid of the range peninsula. We've moved the fridge to keep it closer to the range and to create a larger walk-in pantry. And, we've taken down the wall between the kitchen and dining room, making it a peninsula where there used to be a closet.

Yes, the door of the new range will open right into the main traffic flow. Yes, the stairs are still way too close. But what else to do? And do you see any other big problems?

I'm hoping for "farmhouse modern," simple and utilitarian but not country. No fancy appliances but do want to add a hood. Mainly, I just want to be able to keep most everything off the counters. (Where do all the drying sippy cups go?!) Planning for open shelving to the left and right of the range, but no uppers anywhere.

I've been lurking and learning. Thank you all so much for sharing your knowledge. Now, with fingers crossed, I'm going to "submit"!

Comments (32)