SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_baxter6679379

Kitchen remodel dilemma... oak cabinets

Melissa Baxter
5 years ago
We are currently remodeling our home which was built in ‘91. It is a fairly large renovation and we are adding square footage as well. Our kitchen cabinets are in good condition and I was planning to reuse them. I had considered painting them white, but I’m afraid the kitchen will look too white. I have also considered re-staining them a light, more neutral brown(and get rid of the orange/honey tone), but I’m also afraid that I will make all these changes and keep dated looking cabinets and have them look funny.

I’m planning to use a quartz countertop that has the look of marble(aureastone epitome) and was looking at a white backsplash... our island will remain the same— cedar with a black marble top— so that will break up some of the whiteness.

We have exposed cedar in the living room which opens to the kitchen, and also there is a brick half wall which divides the split level house. I am getting new interior doors, which will be white, and we are getting taller baseboards in white and adding crown molding and window trim. I’m afraid I’m going to go from having too much wood to too much white.

I love the exposed cedar and brick in the living room, and we live on the lake, so I think our house can handle a more rustic, lake house look. Our flooring was redone a few years ago in a grey tile, which I like, and I’ve always liked the look of cedar colored wood, grey, and white... especially with the brick.

Any opinions are welcome. I’ve included pictures below. Thank you!

Comments (15)