SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katiecraven

kitchen remodel dilemma. beginning to think there are no good answers!

Katie
4 years ago

We’re in the planning stages of a total kitchen remodel (new cabinets, appliances, countertops, etc) and would like to rework the layout while we’re at it. Currently, the cabinets and island are both in an “L” shape (and the island is two levels). Initially, we had planned to close off swinging door to laundry room (shown in top picture, to right of cabinets), get rid of 6 feet of wall between the kitchen and hallway and shift the cooktop, wall oven, refrigerator and cabinets to back wall. We felt like eliminating most of that non load-bearing wall would allow us to have a good size counter-height island (96”x72”) for the sink, dishwasher and additional storage on both sides, plus USABLE seating for 4 people. I also like that it shortens that weird narrow, dark hallway (2nd picture).
But, here’s where things get a bit tricky: That door on left of hallway goes to our guest bedroom. If we were to eliminate 6 feet of the wall between the kitchen and hallway as planned, the wall would end right in the middle of the guest bedroom doorway. Weird, right? So would taking out 5 feet and stopping right before the doorway be better?

Am I trying to make a square peg fit in a round hole or is this possible (and more importantly, an improvement from current layout)?

I should’ve gotten a better angle, but third and fourth pictures will hopefully give you a better idea of current layout. By the way, as part of our remodel, we’re eliminating OR replacing those round columns with square cedar ones (depending on it they are load bearing). And also... please excuse the mess. I have little ones at home! THANKS!

Comments (17)