SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sooz_gw

My first pressure cooker.... need recipes please

sooz
5 years ago

I just received my first ever pressure cooker--a stovetop Fissler 6.4qt Vitaquick. Chicken soup will probably be the first thing I make in it, but that's the only recipe I have.

Will you please share your favorite T&T recipes with me?

Thanks!!!!

Smiles,

Soon

Comments (55)

• cathyinpa
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Ha, I noted the "soon", sooz!

So excited for you! IDK if you've ever pressure-cooked before, but it was a bit of a steep learning curve for me. I got mine before there were numerous websites. I think that the Instant-Pot cooks at 12 PSI and your model, stovetop??? may cook at 15 PSI. IOW, times may be different.

This is a good recipe to try.
    Serious Eats Chicken Enchiladas

Here's how I changed it to suit us:)

1. 1 large jalapeno and 2 chipotle from recipe-- too spicy for us. Used about 2" jalapeno, 1 chipotle. We're babies.
    2. Used boneless chicken thighs and went 16 minutes (this is long in IP, but it works for us -- not sure how yours cooks)
    3. I use a defatter too before immersion, cause I care about health:)

4. Used 14.5 oz can of petite diced tomatoes as sub for romas, just lazy

5. Don't fry the tortillas, again lazy.

1. No coriander/cilantro -- soap folks.

7. Made around 14 enchiladas.

My one caveat is that sometimes things can burn with tomato -- this has never happened to me, but just an FYI.

We've also been known to just put filling over brown rice (again, healthy) with cheese:)

I also make some soups if you want some. I posted ribs on the bbq thread. Cranberry sauce, applesauce, barbacoa, salisbury meatballs, risotto. Let me know. Good luck playing around. Also, when a recipe says to add an oil with beans, do! Yes, I've sprayed my deck with bean foam all the while saying prayers of thanks it wasn't inside.

CathyinSWPA

Here are some websites that I've used too:

there is an Instant Pot facebook group that is huge

pressurecookrecipes.com -- use a lot of fish sauce, but reliable (except their bbq whole chix LOL -- man, that was pure cotton at the end!

dadcooksdinner.com -- good bean soup.

If you can get from the library -- Lorna Sass Pressure Perfect -- it is a great beginner book. I think it would match your PC. I've gotten this book out so many times, it's embarrassing:)

sooz thanked cathyinpa
  • sherri1058
    5 years ago

My pressure cooker doesn't get used a lot. I'm not really sure why.... maybe still afraid of it, or too many other new cooking methods that I'm trying? Anyway, for me, beef stew is really good... more moist than stove top or oven methods. Short ribs, on the other hand is better in the oven, imho.

I've made some amazing risotto in the pressure cooker (I know, risotto is dead easy on the cooktop, but thought I'd try it in the pressure cooker and save myself some stirring). The key is to make sure your rice is nicely toasted. Here is the recipe that I used Risotto.

I also use the hippressurecooking,com website and today they sent me a link to their pressure cooking school. Maybe it's something you would like to peek at?

sooz thanked sherri1058
  • Related Discussions

Tried-and-True Pressure Cooker Recipes please!

Q

Comments (11)
    Oh--you asked for recipes. Here are two from Lorna Sass, either of which would justify the purchase of a PC: Curry in a Hurry This recipe from Lorna Sass’s Pressure Perfect is a quick and easy way to make a pretty tasty curry. You can make it with chicken, beef, lamb or pork, and vary the hotness by using mild or hot curry paste. 2 tablespoons of mild curry paste makes a pleasant-but-wimpy curry; 4 tablespoons of mild paste makes it pleasantly zingy; 4 tablespoons of hot curry paste makes it very hot, near my limit of tolerance (and I really like hot food). I generally use 2 tablespoons of hot and 2 tablespoons of mild curry paste. This is another recipe that’s ridiculously easy yet produces delicious food. If you don’t want to mess with the yogurt, peas and cilantro, don’t bother—the dish will still be very tasty, but the sauce won’t be as rich or velvety-smooth. ( I personally don’t like cilantro, so I don’t use it.) The recipe calls for 3 pounds of bone-in chicken; I find it easier to use about 2 or 2.5 pounds of boneless skinless chicken thighs. –Once you get the pressure cooker up to pressure, make a pot of rice. By the time the rice is done, so is this. 1 cup water 4 tablespoons Patak’s Mild Curry Paste 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped 3 pounds bone-in skinless chicken thighs or breasts, or 2-2.5 lbs boneless skinless thighs, or 2 lbs. other meat (see chart below) 1 cup plain yogurt 1 ½ cup frozen peas 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (optional) Pour the water into a 4-qt or larger pressure cooker and blend in the curry paste. Place on high heat and add the onion and meat of your choice. Lock the lid in place. Over high heat bring up to high pressure. Reduce the heat just enough to maintain high pressure and cook for the time indicated in the chart. Turn off the heat. Allow the pressure to come down naturally. (If cooking chicken, release any remaining pressure after 4 minutes.) Remove the lid, tilting it away from you to allow steam to escape. If the chicken or meat isn’t tender, cover again and simmer until done. If necessary, skim off the fat that rises to the surface or degrease the broth in a fat separator. Blend the yogurt into 1 cup of the broth. Stir the peas into the curry and simmer until they are defrosted, about 1 minute. Turn off the heat and stir the yogurt mixture into the curry. Stir in the cilantro and salt to taste. Serve in bowls over rice. Meat choices and Cooking times Chicken (see notes above) 8 min high pressure, 4 min of natural release, then quick release Beef (boneless chuck, 1” cubes) 8 minutes high pressure, then natural release Pork shoulder (1” cubes) 8 minutes high pressure, then natural release Lamb (boneless, 1” cubes) 12 minutes high pressure, then natural release If using beef, pork or lamb, trim off excess fat and cut the meat into approximately 1” cubes before cooking.. Osso Buco alla Milanese (Braised Veal Shanks, Milan-style) Serves 4 This recipe for Osso Buco is from Lorna Sass’s Cooking Under Pressure. I have made Osso Buco both as a slow braise (traditional), and made it in the pressure cooker. I actually prefer the pressure cooker version. Even if you’re only cooking for two and using just two veal shanks, don’t halve the remaining ingredients; the sauce is wonderful by itself, and any leftover sauce will make a great pasta sauce for the next day. Once you get the Osso Buco started in the cooker, cook up some pasta or rice to soak up the sauce. The gremolata garnish is traditional, but I don’t care for it; some authorities, such as Marcella Hazan, don’t use it. 4 veal shanks, about 10 oz each 2 tablespoons all purpose flour 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided 1 large onion, coarsely chopped ½ cup dry red wine or dry vermouth 1/3 cup beef or chicken stock or bullion 2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped 1 stalk celery, sliced thinly 1/2 pound mushrooms, thinly sliced One 14 oz can tomatoes, coarsely chopped, including juice 1 teaspoon dried basil 1 teaspoon dried oregano ¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg (optional) ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste (less if using canned bullion) Freshly ground black pepper to taste Gremolata: (optional) 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest ½ cup finely minced fresh parsley Rinse the veal shanks, pat dry, and dredge in flour, pressing the flour into the veal with the heel of your hand. Shake off excess flour. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in the cooker. Over medium heat, brown the veal on both sides and set aside on a platter. Add the remaining oil and sauté the onions until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the red wine and stir, taking care to scrape up any browned bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pan. Add the stock, browned shanks, carrots, celery, mushrooms, tomatoes, basil, oregano, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Lock the lid in place and over high heat bring to high pressure. Adjust the heat to maintain high pressure and cook for 18 minutes. Let the pressure drop naturally or use a quick-release method (venting the steam or putting the cooker in the sink and running cold water over it). Remove the lid, tilting it away from you to allow any excess steam to escape. Prepare the gremolata, if used, by combining the garlic, lemon zest, and parsley. When the shanks are done, stir in the gremolata and simmer for a few minutes. Adjust seasonings and serve. Note: if using smaller shanks, check for doneness after 15 minutes of high pressure.
    ...See More

Pressure Cooker Suggestions, please

Q

Comments (12)
    Agree that stainless steel is the way to go. I have had several PC's, including electric, Kuhn Rikon and Fagor. My opinions: don't bother with electric. Once I got a stovetop unit, I haven't used the electric one at all. I cook for two or three, and a 6 qt pot is adequate. However, if you cook for more than that and have the storage space, get a 8 qt pot. It'll be useful for making big batches of stuff like chili or pot roast. One feature you DON'T need is a two-level pressure cooker. Fagor has their 'Duo' line with low pressure and high pressure settings. Virtually all your cooking will be done at high, so IMHO there's no real need to spend money on a feature you probably won't use. Best overall PC, price no object: Kuhn Rikon. Great fit and finish, very responsive. Best value for $$$ spent: a Fagor multi set consisting of an 8 qt stock pot, a 4 qt frypan, and a pressure lid that fits them both and a non-pressure lid that fits them both. Fagor makes these sets in their 'Splendid' line ($120 at Amazon) as well as their 'Rapida' line ($90 at Amazon). The pots are good even when not using them as pressure cookers--the 8 qt stockpot works fine as, well, a stockpot. The Fagor units are quite good. If the KR is the BMW of pressure cookers, the Fagor units are at least a Honda Accord. The performance is more than adequate. Here is a link that might be useful: fagor Splendid set
    ...See More

LOOKING for: Needing a meatloaf recipe for the pressure cooker.

Q

Comments (1)
    What a great idea. In the link recipe she uses a steaming basket to hold the meatloaf mixture above water. Hope you have success! Let us now and I'll dig out my old one! Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/beef/pressure-cooker-meatloaf-dinner.html
    ...See More

Pressure Cooker-need opinions Today please

Q

Comments (24)
    I don't know anything about this one, but I will say that the ones I have researched in the possibility of buying one, I definitely want one that has the brown saute option like my Aroma cooker, and the slow cooker option and steam as well so it can be multi purpose. Being able to brown and saute prior to cooking all in the same pot is extremely nice and I use that function on my Aroma cooker all the time. Not all of the new type have a lot of those options so seeing all the options on this model is a plus. But I always heavily rely on the real users reviews. If you are getting one whether it be this one or another you should research the various options so you know which ones you definitely want and which ones you can live with out. After using my Aroma cooker for so long now I would not consider a pressure cooker that did not have at the very least those three options and I would probably also want the soup/stew option also. Usually I am able to find equal or better options on sites other than qvc so just do some searching.
    ...See More
  • cathyinpa
    5 years ago

One other quick one that we really like, sooz, is this one -- https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/how-to-make-pressure-cooker-corn-soup.html

It's a good foundation soup and intensely "corny":) I did not use tarragon, don't have it. I've also just used onions instead of leeks. Reading in the comments someone used some bacon.

Actually, I was at the library reading a cooking magazine (old mind, can't remember which one) and found a recipe for Potato and Poblano Corn Chowder which got my wheels spinning. If I do it in the pressure cooker, I'll report results.

Have fun.

CathyinSWPA

sooz thanked cathyinpa
  • sherri1058
    5 years ago

OMG Cathy, that corn soup sounds great! I'm going to try it this week (assuming I can find some good corn). The addition of bacon sounds great! I think it might also be fab with some crab or shrimp added in at the end......

sooz thanked sherri1058
  • blubird
    5 years ago

Favorite cheesecake recipe to follow. Note that it gets cooked in a 7" or 8" springform pan. Of course an 8" cheesecake is flatter.

Chocolate Cheesecake

Crust:

1 cup crushed grahams (I've been known to use crushed oreos or any other leftover cookies.

3 Tbs sugar

3 Tbs melted butter

Brush some melted butter all around pan. Combine all the crust ingredients and press into pan (which can have a circle of parchment ) on bottom and about an inch or so up the sides. Place prepared crust into the freezer while making the filling.

Filling:

1 pound cream cheese, room temp

10 oz chocolate chips, melted and somewhat cooled

2 eggs room temp

1/2 cup sugar

1Tbs Vanilla

Cream the cream cheese in stand mixer or food processor until smooth and fluffy. Add remaining ingredients and mix until well combined.

Pour filling into prepared crust

Wrap pan with foil, leaving top open

Add 2 cups of water into pressure cooker. Place a trivet or stand into PC and lower cheesecake onto stand. (note: they sell rubber band like things which wrap over pan with handles to lift out, but if you don't have those, create a foil sling by folding about 2 feet of foil into 3 inch wide handle to wrap around base of pan and extending over the top, folding down to fit into pan, but will be used as handles to remove pan later)

Bring to high pressure for 15 minutes. Pressure release naturally for 10 minutes. Quick release the remaining steam, remove to wire rack to cool, chill overnight.

Very creamy and delicious, does taste a little different than a baked cheesecake, but a really nice size to serve for 6-8 people.

There are tons of other cheesecake recipes for pressure cookers so have fun testing.

sooz thanked blubird
  • sooz
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wow, everyone, thanks so much for the helpful info, shared recipes, and links!

Smiles,

Sooz

• aziline
    5 years ago

Meatballs!

Make them golf ball size, add a jar of sauce and cook for 5 minutes over high pressure. An 8 qt can cook 3 lbs at once. In a 6 qt cook in 2 batches. Miss Vickie says to use natural release but I find that makes them tougher and do a quick release.

sooz thanked aziline
  • cathyinpa
    5 years ago

sherri1058 -- I thought I posted this before and found it on the WFD thread from May (sheesh -- memory is tanking -- I even wrote about bacon HA!)

Anyways, here it is -- the potato reference is for another dish -- hope the pics aren't too off-putting:)

Moving on. Dad had hard time eating the grilled corn -- small motor
    skills/Parkinson. Last year, I made corn chowder in Instant Pot, so I
    picked up some more today. Didn't have leeks, so I used onion/ sauteed
    that and garlic in a pan that had the potato. I cut the corn off the cob
    right in the IP pot to save another dirty dish. Ready to go Manual 15
    minutes (converted 2/3 recipe).

After 15 minutes ~ 5 minutes NPR. Immersion blended right in pot.

I used this recipe Pressure Cooker Corn Soup -- Serious Eats

This is just a solid pressure cooker recipe -- easy, good, not a lot
    of hands on time, hard to screw up. The corn flavor is intense and
    fresh. It's also a great foundation for different flavor profiles. I've
    never used tarragon, don't bother to finely chop onions cause immersion,
    don't use fine-mesh strainer cause I like the corn thickness and I'm
    lazy. I think it would be great with a pinch of red pepper flakes or,
    well, BACON!!!!!

And, my Dad can have his corn on the cob, just in a different way!

CathyinSWPA

sooz thanked cathyinpa
  • cathyinpa
    5 years ago

Okay, one more because I second blubird's rec cheesecake. This is a picture from my son's phone so I can't crop out the rest of the cookies (college kid showing me his dessert plate of what I sent back) but on there are mini oreo cheesecakes (apple cookies front marble square back) that I've made with those little canning jars. If anyone wants recipe, I'll post later. Have to go run (literally, so I can still read these posts:)

CathyinSWPA

sooz thanked cathyinpa
  • dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    5 years ago

Whatever you do, do not ever try pressure cooker frying. You can kill your whole family.

There are people out there recommend that to duplicate KFC recipe for fried chicken.

dcarch

sooz thanked dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
  • cathyinpa
    5 years ago

dcarch -- gah! I don't even want to think of that.

This is a WIP/first salvo, but got a two big thumbs up from DS, who is kind of a foodie (albeit, just a taster:) It's also dairy free (check labels before gluten-free/celiac) potato/corn used as thickening agent.

If you have a scale, that's what I used; kind of guesstimated cups. I'm actually going to keep this for my notes.

Corn, Potato, Carrot Cumin Chowder -- Combination Serious Eats Fine Cooking Recipes.

1 Tablespoon Olive Oil

1 Onion chopped (~200 grams)

~ 1/2 Cup chopped green & red pepper (54 grams)

1 1/2 cloves garlic (~5 grams)

pinch of red pepper flakes

4 ears of medium-small corn (~shucked with cob 840 grams)

1 1/2 bay leaves

1/2 teaspoon cumin

~ 1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste (~13 grams) I used a frozen chunk from freezer

~ 3 Cups of Chicken Stock (I used lo-sodium Swansons)

Saute onions and green pepper until soft in Instant Pot. Turn saute button off and add garlic (the pot will still be hot for a bit). Husk corn, break each ear in half. When pot is cooler, cut corn off three cobs in the pot (saves it from flying all over the place). For the fourth one, cut corn off the cob and reserve (~86 grams). Add the fourth cob to pot. Add stock (you want the cobs almost covered or almost), bay leaves, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, red pepper, stir then add tomato paste (I didn't stir after adding tomato paste). Manual 11 minutes (it took 15 minutes to reach pressure).

While corn stock is cooking,

peel, cut into ~1" pieces a medium potato (about 8 ounces)

peel two carrots (~75 grams) cut into three inch pieces.

Put in steamer basket

After 11 minutes is up, Quick Release (I do this outside, did not foam). Carefully remove lid, add steamer basket (may have to nudge some of the corn to get it set). I rinse the lid in cold water, reset gasket before replacing lid. Put lid back on, Manual 4 minutes (took only a few minute to come to pressure). When time is up, Quick Release.

Carefully remove lid and steamer basket (you can use a fork in the black handle) and slice the carrots. Remove cobs and bay leaf. Add half of potatoes back into the pot. Immersion blend until smooth. Add:

Reserved corn

Remaining potatoes

Sliced carrots

1/2 tsp cumin

1/2 tsp kosher salt

1/2 lemon juice (mine came out to just under 1 Tablespoon - add under, taste and decide)

Stir and eat.

Notes: I looked all over Pittsburgh for a stinking poblano pepper because that is what was called for in the Fine Cooking, nary a one. If you're familiar with that taste and think it would go, do it. Also, this is not too much cumin, but taste before adding the second amount -- I always find cooking spices are muted when PC'd so added at end. I'm also not a huge salter. This would be so so good with shredded chicken, and I'm thinking lime maybe instead of lemon? DS said yes to all those and then started down the Mexican cheese route. My pics show an additional potato. Don't add it -- but I may consider more carrots next time. Start to finish ~ 1 hour.

Here are some pics:

Maybe could have used a wee bit more stock, but pre-PC

After 11 minutes

This pic shows (an additional potato) in steamer basket on top of cobs

After 4 more minutes, steamer basket removed, pre-immersion

Potatoes added, immersion, carrots, cumin, salt and lemon juice. Not the most glamorous, but the house stayed cool and it tasted really good. If my mom gives it her seal of approval tonight (you know, no filters), it'll be a keeper LOL!

CathyinSWPA

sooz thanked cathyinpa
  • fillmoe
    5 years ago

Take a look at Hip Pressure Cooking

sooz thanked fillmoe
  • sooz
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Update: DH was not happy with my gift-to-me purchase of the Fissler, so that was returned. Today, Amazon Prime Day, I got an Instant Pot for 58.99--I reminded him the Fissler was $200 & returned for a credit, and the Instant Pot was much cheaper today, and all is well and I have a pressure cooker "plus."

I'm so glad for all the info, recipes and links and photos above (thank you thank you thank you)! I also got Bob Warden's book, Ultimate Pressure Cooker recipes.

Archie, I won't be doing any frying in it!

Cathy, let me know if your mom gave her seal of approval to your recipe!

• sooz
    Original Author
    5 years ago

P.S. fillmoe, that link takes me to a page that is blank except for the words "bye bye hacker" -- googling it and clicking on it directly from the google result takes me to the same page. Update: The site is fine and working now! Thanks for the helpful link!!!

• cathyinpa
    5 years ago

sooz, before you start, go here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/InstantPotCommunity/

Even though I'm not on facebook, this would have been so useful/great resource in my beginning days with the IP. Basic questions, successes and fails, problem solving. Real world -- not picture perfect.

Hip Pressure Cooking -- saw the bye bye hacker (maybe she's related to Amazon Prime:) I specifically used her recipe for yogurt, but found some other times a bit off (and that may just be me) The PressureCookRecipes often gives you an education with the recipe at times:)

I'm laughing -- I also have the Bob Warden:) His was really one of the few available books when I first got my IP. Now, in the library, there are a ton of IP cookbooks -- some good, others really bad HA! In any event, I used his dry rub with a few changes for our ribs (see the bbq post) Lorna Sass was a good reference, even though she used stovetop.

Just a backstory cause I like to talk (cut to chase, see next paragraph) I gave my daughter and her now husband an IP for Christmas 2015. They had some trouble, and I thought "Oh, they need to do ________" Then I visited, tried to make something and notice that steam was escaping around the lid. Fiddled with gasket, vent, basically took all apart, etc.

I ended up emailing IP, sending picture of lid (bent rim) to Instant Pot and within 2 days they had sent a new lid to my daughter. IOW, in 2016 at least, good company. Of course, that didn't stop my SIL from creating Mt. Vesuvius with beef barley soup (he doubled it:)

I have chickpeas in IP right now to make hummus.

Keep reminding your DH about the cost savings:) I'll let you know the critique HA!

I'll find my pea soup recipe for later.

CathyinSWPA

sooz thanked cathyinpa
  • sooz
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Cathy, I'm still trying to figure out FB. I followed the link you provided (thank you!) and had too much visual input for me to make heads or tails out of a recipe or suggestions -- have to admit, I didn't continue scrolling to see if there was an end to the posts!

I think DH is relieved at the savings and won't say anything at all, especially if he's eating good food!

• ann_t
    5 years ago

Sooz, I did a post on a few things I made with my new PC back in December. I've used it a number of times since.

I basically just use my favourite recipes. I don't go looking for recipes that are specifically for pressure cookers.

Breville Pressure Cooker Blog Post

sooz thanked ann_t
  • cathyinpa
    5 years ago

I'm waving ann_t -- so good to see you posting!!!!

I'm laughing sooz -- I'm not a facebooker either; that said, I so wish this group would have been around when I first started. IT IS A HUGE group, and if you have a problem, I can almost guarantee someone there has encountered it.

Thought I'd post some chickpeas and roasted red pepper hummus. If you want the recipe, let me know. It actually tastes like the old fashioned cheese ball my mom used to make which the kraft pimiento, cheddar jars of stuff? HA Cooked 43 minutes with water and bay leaves.

Also made a Chicken Carrot Stew that Mercury Girl posted in the WFD thread. Highly recommend. Easy and really good. Pics of steamed carrots/potato cooked with the chicken curry broth.

Chicken Stew thickened with just potatoes and carrots.

Oh, and just to keep it real. Audrey did not like chowder LOL! I had a feeling because it wasn't the milky chowder that she was going to have a bit of problem. So four out of five peeps liked it HA! She did like the Cream of _______ Soups-laden King Ranch casserole though:)

CathyinSWPA

sooz thanked cathyinpa
  • sooz
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ann, thanks so much for the link!!!! Your Veal Blanquette with egg noodles, looks so good (as do all your photos!) but that rice pudding would be my downfall!

Cathy, after I post this, I'm going over to the WFD thread and copying the chicken stew recipe, then I'm going over to youtube and seeing more about the Instant Pot. I've been around the web looking at recipes and directions, but since the IP hasn't been delivered yet, I don't know what's what or how to do things quite yet. LOLAM!

YES, I'd really appreciate your recipe for hummus! I have to tell ya, your photos are very helpful as my learning curve is steep! I need some handholding!

• cathyinpa
    5 years ago

sooz -- look to Ann_t:)!!!! PS I wish you wrote the following recipe LOL!

You know that chicken stew recipe was really, really good; I'm not sure if I made it more complex by doing it in IP, sooz. It took me an hour start to finish (and that means pretty much cleaned up kitchen) but when I actually wrote out my instructions for my SIL -- I started looking at the stovetop and thinking hmmmm. IOW, dear sooz, that may not be a good first salvo LOL!

Try some chickpeas. I've never soaked chickpeas, cause I never plan accordingly:)

Here's a good visual and in general good website -- https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/pressure-cooker-chickpeas/

Cooked Chickpeas for Hummus

2/3 Cup dried Chickpeas ~ 135 grams dried ~ 280 grams cooked (I always double this and freeze half -- it won't change PC time, just will take longer to come to pressure because fuller)

1 - 2 Bay leaves

(you can add a couple cloves of garlic if you want -- I never do)

Put your chickpeas in pot, and add around 4 Cups of water (enough to cover about 1 1/2" -- the old IP measuring lines were not correct so use cups) I always put in a bit of olive oil because I think it controls foaming, but no one else does.

Manual for 43 minutes (website above uses 45 minutes and that would ensure really good and really done). Let the pressure come down naturally for around 15 minutes (NPR). Release steam. Open lid carefully. Save your liquid.

Hummus (from Smitten Kitchen https://smittenkitchen.com/2013/01/ethereally-smooth-hummus/)

Chickpeas from above (1 3/4 cooked, drained chickpeas saving cooking liquid)

1/2 Cup tahini paste

2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

2 small cloves garlic (we have a garlic intolerance -- can't use, don't miss)

3/4 teaspoon table salt

Approximately 1/4 cup water or reserved chickpea cooking water.

Approximately 1/2 roasted red pepper (or more to taste) MAKE SURE you check for seeds if you're using jarred (sheesh!)

Smitten Kitchen peels her chickpeas, and you can read her recipe for technique. I have done this, but it was a bit too woo-woo for me:)

In a food processor, blend the chickpeas until powder clumps form, a full minute, scraping down the sides. (I use my immersion blender) Add the tahini, lemon juice, garlic and salt, blend until pureed (I add 1/2 tsp salt and then add to taste at end) With the machine running, drizzle in water or reserved chickpea
    cooking water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until you get a thick mixture. Add your roasted red pepper and continue pureeing. Add more chickpea cooking water to achieve the consistency you want. (You may want to add more roasted red pepper or less)

Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt or lemon if needed. Recommended that you hold off on adding more garlic -- SK
    finds that it “blooms” as it settles in the fridge overnight, becoming
    much more garlicky after a rest, so that even if it doesn’t seem like
    enough at first, it likely will be in the long run.

Transfer the hummus to a bowl and rest it in the fridge for at least
    30 minutes, longer if you can. To serve, drizzle it with a little olive
    oil, and sprinkle it with paprika. Serve it with pita wedges or carrot
    sticks.

CathyinSWPA

sooz thanked cathyinpa
  • agmss15
    5 years ago

I relatively recently got an Instant Pot. I joined the Facebook group. It is a extremely enthusiastic crowd! With a serious love of gadgetry (beaten only by the Big Green Egg crowd maybe) While I don’t find myself doing much of what I find on the page I really really like the IP. I think it makes great stocks, soups, stews, beans and yogurt. I can make all of these things in other ways but the IP does a better job and/or makes them much simpler.

Enjoy!!!

sooz thanked agmss15
  • cathyinpa
    5 years ago

agmss15 "I can make all of these things in other ways but the IP does a better job and/or makes them much simpler." Yes. Yes. Yes. And it keeps my house cool:) I don't look at the facebook page too much anymore, but I save a lot of recipes, hints and ideas from that crowd.

sooz -- sidebar -- told my son that his grandmother didn't really like the cumin chowder. He said "Wow. I loved that. Is there anymore of it left or did Daddy eat all of it?" HA!

CathyinSWPA

sooz thanked cathyinpa
  • cathyinpa
    5 years ago

sooz - Just two more, I promise LOL! walnutcreek asked for mercurygirl carrot stew, and I thought I'd put here. I also thought I'd throw in the ribs. Since my house is so disorganized, I thought I'd try to be organized on the information superhighway:)

NOTES: This is what I sent to my SIL; he's a great cook, but I really go a bit "in depth" basic:) I put some grams and ounces in parentheses just for him and when I go to make this again. When I do succession type cooking in IP, I always need to rinse my lid to get it to go back on and ensure gasket is properly seated. You may not have to. I also use a towel on release valve when I do a manual release. You may want to check your chicken temp at the end -- I was going for a temp closer to 175 for the whole collagen breakdown thing, but I didn't check. Mine was shreddable, but didn't have the life sucked out of it (ie all flavor in the broth none in meat) Also, this recipe is on the WFD thread and may be quicker on the stove-- this is really good.

Mercury Girl Carrot Stew adapted from Bon Appetit and adapted to IP

Items I used: IP, defatter, steamer basket, immersion blender

2 T olive oil (I used less)

1 lg onion chopped (225 grams)

3-4 carrots chopped (11 ounces)

4-5 potatoes peeled & chopped (1 lb. 11 ounces)

1 T curry powder (hot is good) (I used sweet but can really see hot being good)

1 T cumin

4 c chicken broth (I used Swansons lo-sodium carton)

1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs cubed (Do not cube)

3 T chopped fresh cilantro (I used parsley - soap people)

Some peas (how ever much you want barely microwaved)

Heat the olive oil and cook onion just until soft on Saute low (you don't have to do this -- but it helps heat the IP). Turn off IP, add 1 pound boneless, skinless
    chicken thighs, one carton chicken broth ½ tablespoon of curry, ½ tablespoon of
    cumin. Cook Manual High 12 minutes. While that cooks, peel your carrots and cut
    into ~ 3” pieces; peel potatoes dice in about 1” pieces. Put them in your steamer basket (or if it's going to be a while, cold water). When IP beeps, let it sit for 5 minutes (or longer if you need to) then release pressure manually. When pin drops, open lid (CAREFULLY:) Put steamer basket in on top of chicken
    thighs. Rinse your lid in cold water and
    make sure your gasket is pulled toward the middle so its set back in the
    groove. Put lid back on Cook Manual 4
    minutes, when IP beeps release manually.

Carefully take out the steamer basket and remove chicken thighs to plate. Pour broth into defatter (onions will be on top) and let sit for a couple of minutes. Shred your chicken thighs while you wait. Cut your carrots into slices (right on the steamer basket) Pour broth, onions back into the pot, add 1/2 the potatoes, 1/2 the carrots, add 1/2 Tablespoon curry, 1/2 tablespoon Cumin and I add 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (check for your preferences) Immersion blend taking care not to scratch pot (I tilt, blend and have never scratched) Add parsley and some peas (I used frozen barely cooked in microwave) This is from the fridge, second day -- Mercury Girl said it gets thick and it does:)

CathyinSWPA

• cathyinpa
    5 years ago

Last one, I promise folks:)

I posted some ribs that I made in the Instant Pot and told 2Many I'd share the rub I used. Please note, this may not be for card-carrying BBQ devotees -- it's just a recipe. ETA: This is for baby-back ribs.

Dry Rub

2 Tablespoons light brown sugar

1 Tablespoon Chili Powder

2 Teaspoons Smoked Paprika

1 1/2 Teaspoons Salt (*)

1/2 Teaspoon Pepper (*)

1 Teaspoon Dry Mustard

Rub on spareribs (I also use this to make pulled pork). *** This is
    definitely low seasoned -- I usually taste and add -- your mileage ....
    Let ribs sit for a bit (technical, I know)

Instant Pot

1 1/2 Cups Chicken Stock

2 Tablespoons Cider Vinegar

1 1/2 Teaspoons Liquid Smoke

~ 2 Tablespoons BBQ Sauce

Put liquids in inner pot and place trivet (handles up) in the bottom.
    You can cut your ribs into sections of four bones or I just spiraled
    them but kept separated. Pressure cook -- Manual 25 minutes if you want
    a bit of chew or I go 30 minutes for fall of the bone. Let NPR ~ 15
    minutes. Take out ribs and put on foil lined pan. You can defat the
    liquid and brush some of that onto the ribs. Brush with your favorite
    BBQ sauce (I used one from a man called Ray, aka Sweet Baby -- keeping
    it real:) and either grill until charred a bit or broil (watch, cause
    they go quick.)

CathyinSWPA

sooz thanked cathyinpa
  • sherri1058
    5 years ago

Last one, I promise folks:)

No, no, no! I may not be posting, but I’m bookmarking it all! And I bought some corn today for the soup recipe.

sooz thanked sherri1058
  • sooz
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Cathy, you must be a mind reader! Earlier today I pulled out a rack of ribs from the freezer, figuring that would be my first IP pressure cooker dish, and then I checked here just now et voila! A ribs recipe from you--with photos, which I love!

What do you find is the difference when you cut them versus spiral them? Any difference in chew? We like almost fall-off-the-bone ribs.

Thanks so much!

P.S. I'm with Sherri.... none of that Last one, I promise stuff!!!!

• cathyinpa
    5 years ago

Aw, Sherri, I hope you like the soup. I think the game changer for me is the corn cob broth -- it just makes it really fresh. Also, one commenter (last one) on the Serious Eats link adds some bacon, cream, etc. and I think ends up with a more traditional corn chowder if you want to look. There are a ton of IP recipes for more traditional ones, if you want to google. My mom likes the Serious Eats one, but not the cumin; that said, my son was literally digging in the refrigerator yesterday looking for the Corn Potato Cumin one:)

Sooz -- I love it! I edited that above recipe denoting it is for baby-backs. And if you've done some homework with Bob Warden, you may recognize that rub from his Perfected Pulled Pork with a few modifications:) IMHO, one of the problems with the some IP recipes is you can find 15 different times for something. The bottom line is that it is the thickness of the meat your cooking. When I made that batch above, I spiraled one, part of the other, and cut a few. I wanted to just do once and didn't care about a sacrificial rib or two -- there weren't any -- you just don't want them stuck together. Here is great explanation -- https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/pressure-cooker-baby-back-ribs-cooking-time/  Here is a visual of how my ribs looked in the cooker (it looks like she used pork ribs there) https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/instant-pot-ribs/   The 30 minutes kind of melt in your mouth, the 25 you need to chew -- see below comment for better explanation:).

One thing that I just read in a comment on this one https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/pressure-cooker-baby-back-ribs/ was to reduce the cooking liquid ~20 minutes on saute (I would defat and go stove, I think) and then she used that to glaze the ribs -- brilliant! Here was her comment regarding timing:

"I cooked the ribs for 29 minutes in the Instant Pot with a natural
    release and found the ribs a little past the “tug off the bone” stage
    that we like, so next time I’ll reduce the cooking time by 1 or 2
    minutes. My rack of ribs was the smallest of the Costco cryovac 3-pack
    from Costco."

I hope this starts the weekend off with a bang (not literally:)

CathyinSWPA

sooz thanked cathyinpa
  • WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    5 years ago

Cathyinpa, thanks so very much for the IP instruction for Mercury Girl Carrot Stew adapted from Bon Appetit and adapted to IP. Went to grocery store this morning and hope I got everything needed.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Been meaning to chime in here, just needed to find a moment : ) I love my IP! I hope you do too, sooz!

So risotto is not hard on the stovetop, but dead-easy in the Instant Pot, and you never worry if it'll come out or not - always good and no stirring until the very end!

IP Mushroom Risotto: 2 person serving first, 4 person in parenthesis.

• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/4 cup)

• 2 Tbs. olive oil (4 Tbs.)

• 1-1/2 cups diced mushrooms (3 cups)

• 1/2 cup chopped onion or shallot (1 cup)

• 1 sprig rosemary

• 3/4 cup Arborio rice (1-1/2 cups)

• 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons white wine (3/4 cups)

• 2 cups chicken stock (1 quart or 4 cups)

• salt and ground black pepper to taste

• 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (1/2 cup)

1) Select the Sauté function on an electric pressure cooker. Add butter and olive oil; stir until butter melts, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in onion; cook for 2 minutes. Add rosemary sprig; cook for 1 minute.

2) Stir rice into the pot until each grain is coated with butter-olive oil mixture, about 2 minutes. Pour in wine; simmer for 3 minutes. Pour in chicken stock, stirring to scrape the sides of the pot. Simmer for 1 minute.

3) Close and lock the lid. Turn the venting knob to sealing. Select high pressure according to manufacturer's instructions; set timer for 6 minutes. Allow 15 minutes for pressure to build. May decrease by heating broth in microwave.

4) Tap venting knob to Quick Release pressure, about 5 minutes.

5) Stir risotto until creamy, about 1 minute. Discard rosemary sprig. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in Parmesan cheese until melted and combined. Serve right away or it thickens.

Step 2 is important : )

Photos for uploading · More Info

ETA: Sometimes I add extra veg to mine, like the one below I added asparagus... and apparently on this occasion, quite a few chives!

sooz thanked 2ManyDiversions
  • 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

IP Meat Balls and Marinara

• ½ lb. ground beef

• ½ lb. bulk Italian sausage

• 1 tsp. salt

• 1 tsp ground oregano

• 1 tsp dried basil

• 1 tsp garlic salt

• 1 Tbsp dried parsley

• 1/2 tsp white pepper

• 1 egg

• ½ cup bread crumbs

• 1 24-25 ounce jar no sugar added marinara sauce (I made my own, but I'm sure if you used Classico or similar brand it'd be good)

• 1 Tbsp. avocado or olive oil for browning

• Fresh basil, for garnish (optional) sub or hoagie buns, Provolone cheese slices

1) In a medium bowl, combine ground beef, Italian sausage and seasonings, egg and bread crumbs. Mix to combine. Roll into medium balls.

2) Turn Instant Pot to Sauté. When pot is hot, add meatballs in a single layer (adding a little oil is optional) Allow meatballs to cook 5 minutes or until browned on the bottom and easy to turn over using a tong.

3) Continue to turn and brown on all ‘sides’ and allow some of the fat to render out of the meatballs.

4) Press ‘Cancel’ and carefully drain some of the fat from the meatballs.

5) Add marinara sauce and stir gently to cover meatballs.

6) Select Pressure, High, and set cook time for 8 minutes.

7) Use quick-release when cooking time is up. Serve meatballs and marinara over pasta noodles, or layer on toasted Italian sub bread with melted provolone, Garnish with a healthy sprinkle of fresh basil, if desired.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

IP Beef Tips: (one of my favorites in the IP)

• 3 tps olive oil
    • 1 beef top sirloin steak (about 1 lbs), cubed
    • 1/2 tsp salt
    • 1/4 tsp pepper (I use more)
    • 1/3 cup dry red wine or beef broth
    • 1/2 lbs baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
    • 1 small onion, sliced
    • 2 cups beef broth or stock
    • 1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
    • 3-4 Tbs. cornstarch
    • 1/4 cup cold water
    1. Select Saute setting, high heat, heat 2 tps oil; season beef with salt and pepper, brown in batches, adding oil as needed.
    2. Transfer meat to a bowl. Add wine to IP pot to deglaze, stirring to loosen all those good bits. Return beef to pot, add mushrooms, onion, broth and Worcestershire sauce. Lock lid, select Pressure Cooker, set time for 15 minutes. When done, quick release.
    3. Select saute function, adjust for high heat, bring liquid to a boil. In small bowl mix water and cornstarch to a slurry, add to IP pot stirring to thicken.

Great of polenta or mashed potatoes.

NOTE: I add red peppers to mine, but have found if I add them at the beginning they just melt to nothing. So instead I set to Pressure Cook 10 minutes, do a quick release, toss in the red peppers, and set it for another 5 minutes, then stir in my slurry to thicken.

Below is what it looks like when the red peppers are to done ; )

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Also, I find hard-boiling a lot of eggs at once to be so easy, along with steaming veggies, and those steamed starbuck's egg bites. Anything I can set to go and not watch gives me time to cook other things : )

Beef short ribs are tender and flavorful in the pressure cooker.

I preferred my oven baked cheesecake, but perhaps I just needed to tweak the recipe a bit.

• sooz
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh, 2Many, another person after my own heart! Thank you so much for posting recipes and pictures!!!!

Today, I boiled water in my IP. The manual suggested I do this. I did it, and didn't burn the water! ha ha

• sooz
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I never realized my kitchen was so limited in space that I really have no place to put my new IP! But hey, today I boiled water in it!

Smiles,

Sooz

• Dawn_T
    5 years ago

Lol Sooz, it took me a week to get enough nerve to do the IP water test :)

Now use it almost everyday! And I loved my 8qt duo so much that got another in the 6qt size. Gotta love Canadian Tire sales, lol.

The above recipes look great, thanks everyone!!

My fav uses for the pot are ribs, hard boiled eggs, pot roast, dried beans, meatloaf & potatoes...

Today I half filled the pot with quartered potatoes, 1 1/2 c water, then put a dozen eggs (in shell) on top. 3 minutes HP, QR and I had an easy start to potato salad.

sooz thanked Dawn_T
  • sooz
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ta-DAAAAAAH!

I had a successful first real recipe experience (boiling water doesn't count) using my IP -- "Ribs a la Cathy" -- simple and delicious! So easy for me when I can follow instructions and see the photos! LOLAM

Tomorrow, a whole chicken!

• sherri1058
    5 years ago

sooz, those ribs look great! You're right about having both the instructions and photos..... nice to know I'm doing it right!

Cathy, I made the corn chowder and it was a hit. It tasted more like corn on the cob than soup, if you know what I mean..... really fresh and bright tasting. I used my immersion blender because I liked the look of your textured soup, but I didn't like the mouth feel as much. Next, I put some into the Vitamix and turned it into an ultra smooth creamy texture. I added a bit of hot paprika on top and YUM!

2Many, I've done risotto in the PC as well, and I agree you don't want to skip step 2. I don't know the science, but my best results have been when I make sure that the rice is toasted. (the rice turns from solid white to translucent then in a couple minutes it turns back to white. Keep stirring and wait until just a
    couple of grains look golden and you're good to go!)

sooz thanked sherri1058
  • cathyinpa
    5 years ago

2Many/Sherri -- Risotto was one of the first things I made in the IP! So good! Those meatballs looks so good too 2Many and the beef tips look like pure "comfort on a plate":) And I like that.

Sooz -- I commented on the other post, but it just came to that I think your picture of ribs would make a great bumper sticker!

Sherri -- I'm glad it was a hit, Sherri. And absolutely about mouth feel -- Kenji in that Serious Eats recipe puts it in a blender and then actually strains through mesh strainer. Gah! that would be like silk:)))) Love it. And the smoked paprika is genius!

So, I have Melissa Clark's Dinner in an Instant from the library. I made her Smoky Barbecue Chicken. It is really good as is -- I want to make it again and maybe change a thing or two.

If anyone wants the recipe, let me know and I'll post it.

- Took 2 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs and seasoned with 1 teaspoon of kosher salt.

-- Mixed up her barbecue sauce and put in IP

Cooked in IP to what she calls a "paste" I cooked mine for about 7 minutes (from fridge) and it was more like a gel -- turned it down to low a couple of times because I was concerned about burning. Also, my IP really concentrates the heat on the outer circumference of pot.

Put in chicken thighs, stirred 15 minutes NPR ~ 15 Minutes

Was curious, checked internal temp on thermometer about 190 (wide eyed emoji) expecting all the flavor to have been sucked out and we'd basically be chewing bbq flavored cotton balls. Shocked when I snuck a piece and it was tender and nicely, albeit a bit muted, flavored.

defattted -- cause I just do. And everyone needs to have an ULTRA close up of chicken fat LOL!

Was supposed to reduce sauce/simmer till thickened in IP. I gave it about 10 minutes and that was that. It never really thickened, although it tasted like a good au jus. Shredded chicken with unthickened sauce that my son and I were dipping (again HA!)

Wanted to also share that a few pieces look like they got a little "done"; things can sometimes scorch in IP, and I was concerned about this. Top piece def darker than bottom, but I didn't have any scorching. Just an FYI
    Final pic -- son couldn't wait till we got buns nor to melt the cheese obviously:) On a bagel

Consensus -- has potential, very good. Chicken was extremely tender and sauce good. Next time (and there will be one) will add additional barbecue sauce (looking for just a bit more punch), maybe sheet pan with a quick broil for some charred pieces.

CathyinSWPA

sooz thanked cathyinpa
  • 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Cathy, I think only you would come up with ribs for a bumper sticker! Sounds like a few I've seen here! LOL! (Hey, it would look good, though)

Ok, so, this is a thread that reads (and I quote) "need recipes please" so, ahem, recipe for the Smoky Barbecue Chicken... please : ) As for de-fatting, I packed mine, but I thank you for the close up : )

And who here doesn't love Cathy's wonderful sense of humor?! No one! You make my days : )

• cathyinpa
    5 years ago

Well, it's only been about two weeks later, 2Many!!! OTOH, I know you've been busy with super-duper very fun shiny things:)

Smoky Barbecue Chicken "Dinner in an Instant" by Melissa Clark

Time -- 1 Hour

Yield: 4 to 6 Servings

For the Chicken

2.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs

1 teaspoon kosher salt

For the Barbecue Sauce

1/2 Cup ketchup

1 Tablespoon packed dark brown sugar

2 teaspoons molasses

2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

2 teaspoons chopped chipotle chile in Adobo sauce (optional) (I used)

1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar

1 garlic clove, grated on microplane or minced

3/4 teaspoon sweet or hot smoked paprika (I used smoked)

1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon dry mustard

For serving Hot sauce, to taste (optional)

1. Season the chicken thighs with the salt and let them sit while you prepare the sauce.
    2. For the barbecue sauce, set the pressure cooker on the saute function. Add the ketchup, brown sugar, molasses, Worcestershire, chipotle chile, vinegar, and garlic. Stir in the paprika, black pepper and dry mustard and simmer until the mixture in darkened and thick (it should turn into a paste) 3 to 5 minutes.
    3. Stir in the chicken. Cover and cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally.
    4. Using tongs, transfer the chicken to large bowl, leaving the sauce in the pressure cooker. Set the cooker on the saute function and simmer the sauce until it has thickened to taste (remembering that it will continue to thicken as it cools) 5 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, shred the chicken. Toss the chicken with some of the barbecue sauce and season with hot sauce to taste. Serve the remaining sauce on the side.

So the notes in previous post, plus DS made a sandwich and put some Sweet Baby Ray on -- Bingo. (BBQ devotees look away:) Intend to make again this week, may fiddle, may make sauce on stove, etc. If I do, will report results good or bad:) Sauce is really, really, really, good just thin as can happen in IP/closed vessel.

CathyinSWPA

sooz thanked cathyinpa
  • sooz
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Cathy, you've done it again! Another recipe for me to try one of these days! I am liking my Instant Pot more and more.

Oh, Dawn, I did made meatloaf in it, and the leftover made really good meatloaf sandwiches the next day! You mentioned making hard boiled eggs -- I usually steam mine, but we'll see if I venture out into Instant Pot land for the eggs.

• 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Thank you Cathy : ) That looks like another keeper from you!

• cathyinpa
    5 years ago

I'm laughing. Spareribs? Check! Cheesecake? Check! Hard Boiled Eggs? You're killing me. Need to venture, sooz :))))! I make them every, single, stinking week for DH:)

If you needed some additional encouragement (cough, cough:) for the chix thighs some comments below from here https://www.eatyourbooks.com/library/recipes/1883389/smoky-barbecue-chicken Some additional "encouragement" via pics http://www.butterandbaggage.com/instant-pot-barbecue-chicken/  LOL!

• mamacrumbcake
      on August 04, 2018

This is good and easy and makes excellent
      sandwiches. I followed the directions exactly and it turned out great.
      There was no problem coming up to pressure, even though it seemed like
      there was not enough liquid. I used the full amount of chipotle and it
      was not spicy. The barbecue sauce is delicious!

• westminstr
      on May 26, 2018

We liked this one too (except for E). I made a
      half recipe and we ate it all. I omitted the chipotle, still good
      without though probably better with. Served w greens & cornbread.

• TrishaCP
      on April 24, 2018

Another fan here. Easy to pull together and the
      flavor was great. I didn't have chipotles in adobo, so I used 1/4
      teaspoon ground chipotle chiles, which made it nice and smokey.

• NJChicaa
      on April 01, 2018

I didn't know if I was going to like the sauce
      as I smelled it cooking but my fears were for nothing. It was
      delicious! This is a wonderful recipe. Will make again and again.

• purpleshiny
      on January 28, 2018

We've made this several times. It's great in
      buns, but also great on polenta or on mac and cheese. Freezes and
      reheats beautifully. It's a little spicy as written (bonus for us, but
      not for everybody, so noting it here.)

clcorbi
      on December 19, 2017
      Excellent, and seriously speedy to throw
      together. Although MC mentions that you can substitute bottled barbecue
      sauce to make this recipe even faster, the sauce takes so little time
      and has such a lovely depth of flavor that I really don't think bottled
      would suffice. I chose to reduce the sauce at the end with the chicken
      still in the pot, shredding it as the sauce reduced, and that worked
      perfectly for me. We ate this scooped into soft tacos with some hot
      sauce and sliced cucumbers. Perfect.

CathyinSWPA

sooz thanked cathyinpa
  • cathyinpa
    5 years ago

Okay, the yogurt saga aka Goldilocks tasting. I used to make IP yogurt all the time several years ago; can I remember the details? Not a chance/like reinventing the stinkin' wheel. Except half way through I remembered I did this at night:)

A good reference is https://www.hippressurecooking.com/video-how-to-make-yogurt-in-instant-pot-duo/  (if you happen watch the vid, do not immediately cap your warm yogurt and put in fridge. Sheesh, Let it cool first. Aside -- the way she says "yogt" cracks me up.)

Anyways, I digress. I did not scald milk in IP. To me, it's more work than on the stove and the goal is I want this finished. Scalded 6 cups to 180 degrees (clipped thermometer, stirring occasionally), cool to 115 (I pour in two stainless steel bowls -- cold water underneath to cool quicker) Would you look at that:) Took about 40 minutes total.

Put trivet (handles up) in IP, with 1 Cup of water. I used chobani, original plain non-fat greek for my "starter" and put about 1 1/2 teaspoons in the bottom of each jar, filled with 1 1/2 Cups of scalded milk then whisked well. These just barely fit, and I had to move them a bit to get lid on. Pressed the yogurt button, and it started its 8 hour program (you can adjust time to get tarter or less tart). *** ETA you may want to dedicate a gasket to dessert/yogurt dishes so that you don't get yogurt tasting like Barbacoa:)

End of 8 hours, we have this. But looks can be deceiving. Was thick, but once you stirred it was like a smoothie -- goal was a soft frosty thickness. So ....

I was going to drain it for a couple of hours. Shocking, but I fell asleep. Woke up the next morning to this, basically yogurt "mascarpone" (not that I've ever had mascarpone, but one can imagine) Have to tell you, I kind of liked this;)

Took some of the whey (drained liquid) and added it back in to get this:

DS "food styled" this:)

Very good consistency and tartness not as tart as greek chobani. Goldilocks? Just right:)

Will give another whirl with replication as goal. Interesting, jasdip brought up cost. Need to calculate if this is less expensive. The 5.3 oz chobani cost $1 at Walmart. If others have made yogurt, please chime in with your ideas, results, etc.

CathyinSWPA

sooz thanked cathyinpa
  • cathyinpa
    5 years ago

Last one for the day, I promise:) Will post barbacoa and salisbury steak meatball recipe tomorrow, if I have time)

Split Pea Soup

This is just my general recipe; my mom who is persnickety loves this. All of these are general amts, except peas and liquid. Also a caveat, you may want to add a wee bit of olive oil to control foaming. I don't do this and have never had a problem, but I don't want you to tell me about Mt. Vesuvius of green peas. I had Mt. Vesuvius with barley LOL!

~ 8 oz chopped ham (1/2 pieces -- you can keep some out to add at end if you want)

~ 2 Cups of onions diced

~ 2-3 Stalks of celery diced

~ 3 Whole carrots, peeled cut into 3" pieces

6 Cups of Liquid -- I use 2 Cups of ham stock (made in IP from ham bone) 1 1/2 Cups Chix broth and 1 1/2 Cups water

16 oz of split peas (I use goya -- picked over and rinsed in colander)

8 shakes (HA!) of smoked paprika

1/4 teaspoon of dried thyme

Pinch of red pepper flakes (I go small)

I don't saute anything, just put it all in and stir. I don't notice onion/celery once cooked, but if you want, you can saute. Manual for 10 minutes, natural release for about 10-15 minutes (or longer). Release with towel over vent just in case of foaming. You can salt at the end -- I always wait in case my ham stock/ham is salty. I've also added soy sauce, but would never admit that to my mom LOL! I also remember putting in bay leaves, but didn't have any. You all know what flavor profile you want:)

Pic after 10 minute release

Removed carrots, sliced and returned to soup. The soup is initially thicker on bottom -- needs stirred to distribute and to incorporate vegetables.

Makes a boatload that can be frozen. If you make and improve, let me know:)

CathyinSWPA

sooz thanked cathyinpa
  • 2ManyDiversions
    5 years ago

Yay! ! found the elusive Cathy's Yogurt post!!! Thank you ma'am - no link needed now (I vaguely remember yelling at the computer on the WFD thread and typing "link me, link me!"). Cathy, what size are those jars? Thanks for the details and photos! Always, always helpful : )

• cathyinpa
    5 years ago

2Many -- they're pint jars. And being the top pro-organizer that you are, you'll like that I actually have the plastic lids for them so I can store stuff:)

Just an FYI -- happened to be reading Cook's Illustrated Cooks Science section re: greek yogurt. They recommend scalding milk without stirring over low heat. I didn't do this -- I was in a hurry, so maybe dodged the scorching bullet. Also they have a recipe for Lemon-Dill Yogurt Cheese basing it on drained yogurt. May need to make that next time.

CathyinSWPA

sooz thanked cathyinpa
  • sooz
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm bumping this thread to add a recipe I tried in my IP:

"The Best Slow-Cooked Tomato Sauce Recipe."

I made the sauce according to the recipe found on Serious Eats, and it was pretty darned good!

Earlier in the week, I made Italian sausage in my IP and found that while they cooked up really quickly, they came out a bit on the moist side. It's good to have a quick option for sausages!

Enjoy!

IP Tomato Sauce from Kenji on Serious Eats

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    5 years ago

Pressure has nothing to do with cooking food. Food is cooked by temperature.

Pressure changes cooking temperature. The higher the pressure, the higher the temperature.

Many regular PC, not the digital electric type will give you 15 psi pressure, which cooks at 250F.

Many IP cookers don't tell you what pressure they can reach, so you never know what temperature you are actually cooking food in.

So with all IP recipe cooking, you may need to try them out in you particular brand of IP.

dcarch

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022