SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reesepbuttercup

Chair rail & wallpaper or beadboard for stairs?

I need to do something about my staircase. Three years in with light walls, kids and pets have left the lower portion of the walls not only dingy, but also dinged up in places. The staircase has a vaulted ceiling so it's not easy to just repaint the whole wall and touch up painting will be obvious I thinK. So im leaning towards some sort of chair rail and possibly wallpapering or putting beadboard below.

What height should the chair rail be set to? In my previous home I did a craftsman-esqe tall board and batten, but this home is much more colonial cottage. Also complicating things are the upper story windows. At some point the chair rail will intersect the last window.

Green tape is around 32" which is close to the handrail Height.

And while I know so many are wallpaper adverse and will likely suggest beadboard instead, my issue is that the beadboard will need to be painted bright white like the rest of my trim and that will be boring along with my Dover white walls. I like wallpaper and right now I'm hanging a charming garden print in my mudroom hallway.

Comments (5)