SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christine_hewitt74

Need input for Kitchen remodel

Christine Hewitt
5 years ago

My husband and I have a townhouse duplex and are currently leaving on one side while remodeling the kitchen on the other side. We have already torn down a wall that was separating the dining/kitchen and I have a basic layout. We have electrical run for the majority of the appliances, but I wanted to get some input about how I might be able to make the layout fit better in the space. Not sure. I'm so indecisive and it's hard to imagine how something will look or function. I'm all about efficiency and functionality. I read a post on here last night which cured me of the need for symmetry so that's not an issue.

The plumbing chase is no longer an issue in the top corner, we are bringing the wall out the extra 1 1/2 inch or 2 inches to keep from having to cut any countertop or cabinets we have in that corner. On the wall listed as East Wall between the windows there is a beam support that is where the wall between dining/kitchen was before and we have a beam in the ceiling going across. I plan to cover with wood and stain it. The portion of drywall that will jut out on the East wall I want to paint a glossy black to mimmick a steel beam. I have a matte black faucet and a dbl basin fireclay farmhouse sink to go under the window on the south wall. I like the modern farmhouse look. On each side or possibly fitting over the jut I am putting floating shelves for openness. Under these shelves is where I plan to have my prep zone. In front of the jut I plan to make a space to put cutting boards (it will be approx. 6-8" of space depending on drywall thickness. What do you all think about that?

I want to tile white subway 3x6 all the way to ceiling on east wall and possibly on the north wall where I'll have another set of shelves between the wall oven cabinet and the cabinet in the corner. I like the idea of putting tall cabinets that sit on the countertop in the corners.....hate corners.....possibly for appliance garage. Well definitely want to have my toaster and bread in the Southeast corner cabinet. No wall cabinet above the dishwasher either....that wall I have a plate clock that was made for me this past Mother's day that will have a home on that wall. And the countertop space there will be for the coffeepot, I wanted it close to the sink to refill water easily and I wanted to keep that appliance out in view as we use it multiple times a day.

I'm also debating about what to do in regards to the area where the refrigerator will be. I want to have the glass square cabinets along the entire top portion of that space to display my teapot collection. On the left of the refrigerator I thought about having a bookshelf/wine rack area. On the right would be good for a small depth pantry, right? And I will have the microwave in the 27" space next to that somewhere about chest or waist high-ish. Any other ideas are welcome.

The longer window on the East wall will have a lowered countertop where the apron for the window is ( 30" from floor") going to be a baking zone along with the north wall. I wanted advice about the wall oven placement and will that affect the walkway between that and the island, should the oven be lower since I'm short so that I can reach in better, and what size cabinet would be best.

GE-PDT825SGJWW

GE-JT5000SFSS

GE-PEB7226SFSS

GE-JP5030DJBB

Bought these appliances at an amazing deal, website had the wrong prices, and GE had a promotion going on, and I was just lucky to only spend $1700 on these! Crazy right?!!!! NEW APPLIANCES.

I also splurged on what I hope is amazing and got the Best Cattura downdraft to put in the island with the cooktop. Hoping for a 7' x 4' island in the center with seats on the West side.

I have an LG french door, bottom freezer refrigerator that is approximately 36" wide. I'm hoping to make it seem built-in with cabinetry, although I could change it as my husband said today I could have two refrigerators, since we have two sides of the duplex and technically two kitchens now. This will change in the future.

We plan to open the West wall between 5 and 6 feet to have a walkway between.

I'm attaching some pictures of renderings done by an online cabinet company and the initial dimensions of the space.

Let me know what you think......I feel frustrated that I'm making bad decisions or that it won't turn out the way I plan.

Obviously the pictures I've added are not a representation of what I am hoping to accomplish with the space, but give somewhat of a room layout for visual people.

Comments (19)