SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Bloomfield Abundance vs Cecile Brunner

jacqueline9CA
5 years ago

Just chiming in my 2 cents worth on this topic. I have followed the hilarious dispute (mostly across the pond) about whether the rose in commerce which was called Bloomfield Abundance for many decades, but looked EXACTLY like some sort of Cecile Brunner, was actually the real BA, or, as argued by the folks who said "If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck..." , was a CB. Well, if you believe in SCIENCE, and are willing to accept DNA evidence, that argument was ended when the purported BA in commerce's DNA was inspected, and guess what? It turned out to be a Cecile Brunner!

Well, so what happened to the real 'Bloomfield Abundance' (George C. Thomas, 1920)? Fred Boutin has, according to experts, discovered it, even after most nurseries around the world have been selling 'Spray Cecile Brunner' under its name for almost 100 years. A wonderful story of the saving of an almost lost rose.

I ordered a plant of the real BA, and got a healthy rooted cutting, which unfortunately one or more squirrels decided to eat for lunch. I rescued it, finding its one gallon pot tipped over with half of the dirt fallen out, and the plant half eaten. Put its pot sitting on top of the soil inside of the deer cage of another baby rose which was in a HUGE pot, and had room to share. Then we went away for a few days, during which there was a horrible heat wave. I did have someone watering the pots while we were gone, but I came home to realize that being in a black plastic pot in that heat in full sun had almost killed it by cooking. I transplanted the tiny sick thing into a larger clay pot, put it by itself under a shade cloth which doubled as squirrel protection about 2 weeks ago, and watered it a lot. Yesterday it was looking much better, so I took off the shade cloth (it is still in a place where it only gets a few hours of sun a day), to discover that it had one fully open bloom I had not noticed. Of course I clipped it off immediately, instructing the bush to stop that, and to spend its energy growing roots. I have lots of different CB plants, so I found a bloom at the same stage and compared them. Pic below - very noticeable color difference. The BA bloom was salmon pink (matching the descriptions from 1920!), while the CB bloom's pink had much more blue in it.

Just wanted to share my excitement and happiness in having this rose, and not killing it...

Jackie

CB on the left, BA on the right

Comments (32)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH