SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Bloomfield Abundance

jacqueline9CA
11 years ago

I just got back from the rose symposium in Sacramento today, and all I can say is WOW! If you couldn't make it, be sure and get the 30 minute DVD about the Sac Historic Cemetery rose garden. The DVD is not about the symposium, but is about the garden.

The symposium was fantastic - mostly about history of various roses & types of roses, hybridizers, and nurserymen in CA, and about several mystery roses found in CA which are fantastic roses, no matter whether or not they are ever identified. Some of these were available at auctions at the event. Speakers were all astoundingly expert and eagerly listened to. Very exciting.

The one talk which affected me the most was by Fred Boutin, whose collection of old mystery roses he found all over CA decades ago was the foundation for the collection at the Cemetery. He thinks he may have found the apparently lost 'Bloomfield Abundance', which conventional wisdom (at least in the UK) very loudly insisted was identical to 'Spray Cecile Brunner'. A few years ago this wisdom was debunked when DNA analysis said that the three types of Cecile Brunner (bush, spray, and climbing) were sports of the same rose. So, where is Bloomfield Abundance? If you look on HMF, all of the pictures except 2 are of Spray Cecile Brunner. One of those is a black & white image of BA from 1920, and the other is a hand tinted photo of BA from 1926.

Well, I won't tell you the story, but Mr. Boutin brought several plants of what he thinks is the original (hybridized in 1920) 'Bloomfield Abundance'. I just saw a bloom, and it matched the tinted old photo from 1926 exactly - way different color from CB, and blooms not the same size at all. Is it possible that whoever colored that photo in 1926 had seen the real BA, and made it the correct color on purpose? We should not suppose that folks who were interested in roses then were not paying attention...

Anyway, I love it when conventional wisdom that flies in the face of common sense turns out to be wrong.

Huge thanks to everyone who worked so hard to put on the symposium, and to all of the excellent speakers.

Jackie

Comments (18)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES