SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Share ideas/examples of outdoor living spaces? (sun&insect protection)

mtnrdredux_gw
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Our home is a somewhat rambling colonial-y farmhouse and it is virtually surrounded on three sides by stone patios that meander around the house. One of the patios is two levels, one looks over a koi pond, one runs the length of the house and looks over our swimming/kayaking/fishing pond, and one, the pool opens on to and has a pergola and vines. Yet, none of these areas are screened in any fashion, and the only overhead covering is provided by umbrellas.

Hard to believe but I really didn't notice so much that this was lacking. It has come to mind for two reasons ... 1) we are home this summer more than usual as my kids are taking courses locally and 2)we had a large tree come down and I am looking at everything a little differently. (separate landscaping/gardening post to follow).

The main goals are sun protection and mosquito protection. I imagine we would primarily use the space for lounging. No FPL or flat screens or grilling or wetbars or such. I think 10x12 or 10x14 would suit. Flexible on budget.

Our options include, I suppose:

1. Building on an addition, but there is no obvious place for it in a home that is already mish-mashy and added on to multiple times since 1904.

2. Enclosing the existing pergola in some fashion, but it is quite large for what I think we need

3. Put a new pergola somewhere else - they make them designed to be covered and enclosed

4. Put an awning off an existing wall and add drop down sides

5. Do a stand alone cabana-type thing either on the stone or yard somewhere.

Which options have you used and what are the pros and cons of your choice?

TIA

Comments (22)