SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karen_mikolainis

Help me set a budget range for updating bath

Karen Mikolainis
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I am trying to set a budget range for updating our bathroom. I've read that the "average" remodel prices in my area are $9k - $12k. I also read that a max budget for a bathroom is 10% of home value, and our house is in the range of $250k $280k. But when it comes down to it, I don't want to spend $25k on a bathroom. I am thinking we will do mid-range products.

I spoke with a design build firm on the phone that said $25k was about the bottom for a bathroom with them and it could go up based on products. They said a handyman would be less.

Here is what I want in the bathroom:

-- toilet and shower in same place. Replace toilet, replace cast iron tub, replace shower window, install new custom solid surface shower

-- vanity and sink in same place but might move sink 6 - 8 inches to center on vanity

-- add bath fan vented through roof, move lights from pendant to sconce, update switches

-- new vanity, sink, fixtures, towel bars, etc., solid surface countertop

-- remove wallpaper from walls (some contractors want to tear out and replace drywall), paint

-- replace door, remove doorway to bedroom

-- install luxury vinyl flooring over existing tile flooring

-- No shower doors (we will use a curtain). No tile or very little (I prefer solid surface)

I think that's pretty much the whole scope. The finishes could go up or down, like, I can pick $50 light fixtures or $300 light fixtures, etc.

I am guessing I could be in the $15k - $20k range. Does that sound reasonable? We could go slightly higher, but I care about value for money and the last thing that I want to do is spend $$$ for a bathroom that ends up looking like it came from Home Depot. We need a functional, decent bathroom, not a show house bath. But if I spend more money and get a designer, I will want the bath to look like it's been thoughtfully planned, with a little bit of special-ness to it. (And not at 50k!)

Also, everything is staying in the same place. I wonder if I should hire a designer, and what a designer would cost. How do I find a designer who will be willing to work on a simple bath project?

Honestly it seems that all the contractors and designers are doing very large, high budget projects and our home is a mid-level home and I want a mid-level budget. I am not seeing a lot of sample projects out there on homes like mine.

This Houzz article talks about low budget, mid range and high range remodels. I think we will be in the basic-to-middle range.

[https://www.houzz.com/magazine/bathroom-workbook-how-much-does-a-bathroom-remodel-cost-stsetivw-vs~23875885(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/bathroom-workbook-how-much-does-a-bathroom-remodel-cost-stsetivw-vs~23875885)

Any tips on budgeting or selecting a contractor are appreciated. I am reading the articles here at Houzz.

Comments (16)