SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danielinthelionsden

Choosing a tree for parking lot

I've been ask to bring a recommendation for 5 best trees to plant near the church parking lot where an ash tree has been decimated by the emerald ash borer. I've put together a preliminary list but would like to get some feed back. The tree being replaced is one of four ash trees that line the east side of the lot. The other three have been treated with a system pesticide but this one was deemed to far gone to treat.

Here is the list I've come up with:

1. Black Tupelo (Nyssa sylvatica)
  2. Thornless Honey Locust (Gleditsia triacanthos inermis)
  3. Tuliptree (Liriodendron tulipifera)
  4. Spruce 4a (Blue Spruce) 4b (Norway Spruce)
  5. Sugar Maple (Acer saccharum)

The person who asked me to put together the list wanted me to include blue spruce. I don't think it makes for a very good shade tree but I put it on the list and suggesed Norway Spruce as an alternative since Blue Spruce is somewhat disease and pest prone in our area.

I'm not real sure about the Tuliptree. The spot of planting is about 20ft from the asphalt so I was thinking maybe that's far enough that the roots won't tear it up. But I definitely want thoughts on that since I could include other large fast growing trees if that's far enough not to present a problem. Along the same lines Sugar Maple is included because there are some wild ones already on the property that could be transplanted to this location. Thus free makes it a viable option.

Comments (16)