SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

Suggestions for a woodland slope next to a parking lot

docmom_gw
4 years ago

I started this message once and it disappeared before I finished. Anyway...My very good friend was just called to be lead pastor at a church in the suburbs of the Twin Cities. I attended her first sermon and was given a detailed tour of the facility and grounds. The grounds near the front, facing a residential street, are traditional lawn and mixed perennials, with not much native. But, there are non-manicured areas that are ripe for further development. To their credit, the congregation recently hired a reputable company to eradicate their buckthorn, and they planted some shrubs along the west edge of the parking lot. Unfortunately, that area has been neglected this season, and there are weeds moving in. There is a gardening committee, but they have not organized a work group to weed and mulch this area. So, I am living in a high rise apartment, with no opportunity to garden, and am considering offering my assistance in managing this area. I am looking for suggestions on native plants that might be acceptable to non-native gardeners, and would tolerate deep shade in the morning, but hot sun after about 1 pm. I didn’t think to take pictures, but there are tall deciduous trees growing along the west side of the parking lot. The ground drops off quite sharply about 10 feet from the edge of the pavement, and my goal would be to plant within that 10 foot depth. The parking lot is probably about 25 to 30 car widths long, so it’s a considerable area. I would likely try seeding or wintersowing, if I can get permission to clutter the area with containers. Thoughts? Questions? I’m already considering Aquilegia and anemone for spring. Should I consider this a sunny area, since it gets 6+ hours of sun through most of spring, summer and fall? Any ideas are welcome.

Comment (1)

Sponsored