SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
victorianbythesea

Help me decide please? Adding a tub and a bathroom window?

Kat
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We have a master bath that currently only has a 5 foot shower, toilet and double vanity as well as our walk in closet. I've shared our current floor plan in the comments of a another post a while back. By moving the walk in closet out into bedroom space I could potentially add a 5 foot clawfoot tub and open up our bathroom to what will feel like a much wider space. I'd add a chandelier and some built ins by the tub. Part of me really wants to do it for the looks because I think clawfoot tubs are so pretty, but because it involves moving the closet and extending/running new plumbing for the tub etc. the cost is fairly steep and I'm going to be honest here, it won't get used that often. Our kids are all older and shower and I've never been a huge bath person.

Also, unless we invest even more money the tub would have no window above it. We live at the beach in one of the larger homes so cost wise it's definitely average to above average for the area. If we spent more $$ to install a new window it has to be impact which cost more $$. We upgraded all the other windows last year. Our master bedroom and main living area is on the second floor so the install would be more $$ AND the neighbors live in a reverse floor plan where they live on the third floor and could potentially see into the window since it lines up with their deck and possibly their kitchen window so I'd have to figure out a solution for that. It's also the north facing side of the house so not even a lot of direct light, but definitely windows still add light into our sons' room that faces the same way.

Everything says this isn't a smart investment and yet I can't let it go......it would look pretty and for resale I'd say 75-80% of the resales out here seem to have a tub in the master, but all of them with tubs also have a window. Would you bother to invest what would end up an extra $10K into a bath that won't have a window? Is it worth it to add a window (making it at least 12K more than just redoing the shower and vanity) with all of the above taken into account? Thanks for any and all thoughts.

Comments (4)