SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kenny_adams80

Small kitchen layout - No room for the fridge!

Kenny Adams
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Our kitchen is long overdue for an update. Items to note:

1) Everybody enters the house from the sun room into the kitchen, so I'd like to relocate the refrigerator to open up that walking path. You can imagine that when there is a table in the dining room, you have to zig-zag from the sun room door around the fridge, around the peninsula, around the table, then up the stairs (note that the door at the stairs actually opens into the dining room and not as shown).

2) I'd like to take down the wall between the kitchen and living room. Depending on the engineer's assessment, this may be a half wall or a pass-through.

3) My preference would be to replace the peninsula with an island so the dining room doesn't feel so tight, and people can comfortably push in/out of the dining room table.

4) I'd strongly prefer to keep the sink under the window.

5) Right now, my oven is in a wall unit immediately to your left when you walk in the door, and the stovetop is separate. I would like to go to a standard single-unit range during the renovation.

6) I have an electric range and no gas in the house at all. I'd be open to quoting getting gas run to the house (it's already on the street) but I have no idea what it costs so it may blow up the budget.

I've included a floor plan and two photos of the current-state below, as well as a sketch I put together with a tentative layout (just some early brainstorming here). The main problem I'm running into is where to put the refrigerator... right now it juts out of an otherwise empty wall into the middle of the room and partially blocks the doorway. To put the fridge on either of the kitchen utility walls would really kill the counter space next to the range or the sink (<10" counter space in the brainstormed sketch below). Is the only option to relocate the sink to the island? I was trying to avoid moving utilities at all costs, I'd appreciate any other ideas.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations