SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emma_eu

Any ideas about how should I store books?

Ara A
5 years ago
I live in an apartment and I've got really large bookcases in two of my rooms. The books I've got barely fit in there. The bookshelves don't look really esthetic. Any ideas on other ways to store them, that don't involve drastic changes and are on a budget?

Comments (48)

• Ara A
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Well, now I see that you are right :)
  • Related Discussions

Any ideas on these tips from Field Roebuck's rose book?

Q

Comments (27)
    Thanks, Kim, for the confirmation. I checked on Chinese chives, it's the same as garlic chives mentioned in Field Roebuck's book. He stated, "In at least one controlled experiment, when planted underneath roses, garlic chives completely eliminated spider mites and reduced aphids." Rose magazine site stated that high-nitrogen chemical fertilizer does encourage aphids. The Canadian website that advocated fall fertilization, rather than spring, cited less insect problems with earlier nitrogen fertilization for wheat fields. Garlic chives have white flowers, it is listed among the invasive species. In my experience with invasive species, it's the least invasive, since it can be pulled up easily. It's a tiny bulb - rather than invasive roots. If you cut the flowering stem off before it becomes seeded, then you stop the growth. I was hoping it becomes invasive enough to gather a gallon for making pot stickers -but it did not spread fast enough in our 40" inch annual rain and high germination in magnesium rich soil. I also have the American chives with purple flowers, this is invasive since it spreads by roots. This chives is more drought-tolerant than Garlic, or Chinese chives. Calendula, or potted marigold, is just as pretty but more drought-tolerant than regular marigold. Calendula host many beneficial insects, especially green lacewings. These lacewings fly around and eat Calendula's pollens. But they give birth to larvae, named aphid lion. More info: "Each lacewing larva will devour 200 or more pests or pest eggs a week ... After this stage, the larvae pupate by spinning a cocoon with silken thread... the adult will live about four to six weeks...Each adult female may deposit more than 200 eggs. Nectar, pollen, and honeydew stimulate their reproductive process." What I like the most about garlic chives, or Chinese chives is its medicinal and anti-inflammation properties. It's especially yummy in potstickers, better than green onions. I like Calendula (comes in bright yellow and bright orange), since they are drought tolerant and still bloom during frost. Below is a picture of Calendula in my tomato garden:
    ...See More

Any ideas what orchid I'm talking about? a long shot

Q

Comments (12)
    Calvin, I purchased my Aeranthes Grandiose 'Shooting Star' from OakHill this early spring and it remains in near continuous bloom since purchase. It is currently pushing up 2 new spikes. Mine is the size of my adolescent Angcm. magdalenae, or around 12-14 inches tall with typical growth habit very similar to sesquipedale and magdalenae. The flowers on my plant are the spitting image of A arachnites x grandiflora in the first photo link. When I saw this thread I went back to Oak Hill to check on the availability and I swear the first time through I saw a A. grandiflora but when I went back it was gone! Mine does not seem to smell like butter, at one point I thought I detected a top note of "wet labrador retriever", but the beauty of the plant more than makes up for any lack of fragrence. A. Grandiose is apparently a natural (or in this case perhaps not so natural) hybrid of A. grandiflora and A. ramosa. Richard Here is a link that might be useful: Aeranthes Grandiose 'Shooting Star' at OakHill
    ...See More

Any idea how to go about painting this?

Q

Comments (22)
    Well, a decision has been reached. I went ahead and ordered the reversible rug pictured above (talked DH into it!). These rugs are called "Mad Mats" and are made from recycled soda bottles, and are a fair trade industry. I really like the fact that they're crafted from recycled goods in a responsible manner, and of course it doesn't hurt that the more I envision this particular design (the aqua side, especially) with my porch furnishings, the more I think it's perfect. Too, the rug can be here by the end of the week, and I'm not sure when I'll get around to painting one. I'm impatient. ;-) Anyway ... I'll post pics again when I get it pulled together with the rug and a couple more touches that I have in mind. The painted rug is still an option for later ... perhaps after we get some landscaping done and I feel like tackling another project, I'll give it some more consideration.
    ...See More

I need some ideas.... about to end a 17 year marriage; should I?

Q

Comments (6)
    I'm pretty sure there is more to it than what has been said. It's almost impossible to put it all in one post. What I interpret is that he doesn't have a problem with your daughter's kids, but that if you had custody of them, he'd have to deal with your daughter, which he has washed his hands of. You seem to agree that he has cause to feel that way so at least you are on the same page there. If she's that bad that her own mother has had enough, then I feel really sorry for those kids. Yes, they will always be tied to their mother, even if you have custody. and so you have to choose between your grandkids and your husband of 17 years. OUCH! Perhaps you could seek legal advice on getting guardianship of the kids and a restraining order on her? I don't know how bad she is or if you just don't agree with her choices. But, if it's hurting your grandkids, you have to put them first. They are kids and need someone in their corner. If it has to be you, then it has to be you. If he can't deal with it, then it's unfortunate. It sounds like a real mess if there are accusations from your daughter (of what?) that your husband doesn't want to deal with. I feel like there's a lot more to it than what you've said. If he just stuck around to help raise your kids, then they are raised and now he is going to leave because you 'might' get your grandkids. It's really a no win situation.
    ...See More
  • erinsean
    5 years ago

When I was young mother, I realized one day that I had so many books and my shelves were full! Then I realized that only a few of them would I ever read again. Some I had to keep, naturally. I found offering them to friends, selling them at garage sales, offering them to the local library, freed me with storing all the unwanted books. I found it hard to part with a lot of them, but felt so much better when I had given them to friends who like to read. If you still want to store your books, how about bins in your closet...either on the sides, on the floor or the shelf over your clothes. You may be able to get low rolling bins that fit under your bed that would hold books also.

• torreykm
    5 years ago

I feel your pain. You really don't have many options when you have lots of books. You can go for the "decorated" look or just make do with what you have. My books are stored by category and it works well for me. I do have storage for books in other rooms of my house. Can you squeeze in some inexpensive folding shelves in your bedroom?

I bought two of these from the container store and stacked them for my son...

Not glamorous, but serves the purpose

Styled by color. Looks cool, but not very practical.

These also appear to be styled by color, but still gives an example of cases with more books than decorative items.

These are two of mine.

• wednesday morning
    5 years ago

The best thing you can do for your books is to pare them down as much as you can. Printed media is quickly becoming obsolete and they can really clutter up your house. Once you have read them, it is unlikely that you will ever read them again.

Take them down to what really has importance in your life and be real about it. Then, look for how best to shelf them. You may find a higher appreciation for those that remain after you have removed those of less importance.

• apple_pie_order
    5 years ago

Are they organized by size, subject, or alphabetically now? Are any worth over (say) $50 on the used book market and require special care?

• K Laurence
    5 years ago

Book lovers ( & I’m a book lover ) won’t like this, but I agree with wed am, pare them down & donate the rest , if you can bring yourself to do that. That’s what I did.

• suzyq53
    5 years ago

Another book lover, but they get smelly and attract silverfish. Purge.

• Ara A
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you all for your answers! I don't think I would be able to donate my books, so... More booksehelves I suppose! :)
  • indigoheaven
    5 years ago
    I have quite a collection of books too. My solution is, of course, multiple bookcases. I have my books divided into categories by subject. Then I have organized the fictional titles in alphabetical order by author's name. I think organizing them by color looks a bit silly.
  • cpaul1
    5 years ago

I, too, am a book lover and have a collection of cook books. I have two book shelves in my hall way, and I don't "decorate" the bookshelves. I don't color coordinate, they are just on the shelves by size (bigger ones at the bottom and smaller as they go to the top shelf) and then by category (I have all of the cookbooks together). To me that is not an area that needs to be "decorated", I like the look of all of the different jackets together. Some people put all of the books in backwards so that all you see are the pages (and not the spines) to get them to look the same, so you could try that. Or you could recover the books to all be the same color, I've seen people do that with white sticky paper or wall paper or brown wrapping paper made to look old school with the brown paper bags of yesteryear.

• Lyndee Lee
    5 years ago
    Books were taking over my house and the new house does not have built in bookshelves. I started looking at the collection and realized that many of my books had just been added to the shelves because it was easy. I went through and donated about 90% of my fiction books and perhaps 20% of the nonfiction. We are fortunate to live near an excellent public library and I am trying to take inspiration from their process of discarding books regularly.

I had not moved for many years and did not realize how many books had accumulated until I started boxing them and then carrying them out. Books are heavy and I am getting too old to carry them with me!
  • indigoheaven
    5 years ago
    I think it's easier to pare down a collection of books if you can donate them or give them away. My college-age son and I recently went through his childhood books. We kept s few for sentimental reasons, but I donated many of them to a book sale raising money for student scholarships. I also gave a whole collection of Percy Jackson novels to the young son of my neighbor. He was very excited to have some summer reading. He offered to return them to me, but I encouraged him to pass them on to his friends instead.
  • J Corn
    5 years ago

While I agree with paring down books, I disagree about the chances of never again reading a book that’s already been read once. I have books that I read and reread regularly and am sharing some with the grandchildren. There’s something special about reading a book to your grandchild that’s was once read to you as a child. The pages may be a bit careworn and the book jacket a bit wrinkly here and there but the words resonate as much as ever.

i don’t just reread children’s books, of course, but also plenty of others as well. Some hold interest for a year or two while others I still cherish. They fill my shelves.

• Mrs Pete
    5 years ago

I present these thoughts as an idea in lieu of more and more and more bookshelves:

Years ago I would've said my perfect house would've included built-in bookshelves in every room ... especially a dining room that functioned as a library and a dining space ... and an entry way that would've incorporated bookshelves in the same way. From childhood I had books overflowing my meager shelves, and I always had stacks of books by the bed. I grew up in an old farmhouse that had a wide central hall lined with bookshelves on both sides, and in the middle of the hot-hot summer days (no air conditioning), we five kids'd lie on the floor in the hallway reading quietly.

However, once Kindle came into my life, I changed my habits. I realized that I love READING, NOT BOOKS. I love that I can carry literally thousands of books anywhere I go ... yesterday I was reading my Kindle while giving blood, which isn't something that would've been easy to do with a paper book.

As a result, I've given away many, many, many books ... and I don't miss them. I've kept special books, of course. And I've kept reference books. I've even pared down my cookbooks.

I currently have one large bookshelf in my office and another smaller one in my living room ... books are double-shelved on both. My new house will have one huge-huge built-in bookshelf in the bedroom, and I think it'll actually be ENOUGH.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

Why not build bookcases to the ceiling add a library ladder and make them a focal point. I love books too . A friend did exactly that in her small house and I love it

• Ara A
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Patricia, could you please show me a picture with that idea?
  • jillybean103
    5 years ago

• PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Here are a couple . I also like the Sapien book shelves from DWR for the books I access all the time they can go anywhere since they are free standing. I use 2 of them in my office for design books and magazines

• loobab
    5 years ago

I have a lot of books, always have, and have never had any type of bugs in them, and the books have never had any type of odor.

Silverfish like humidity of 75-95% and are nocturnal so are most likely to be found in your bathroom at night, but they like polysaccharides, so they might eat the glue in the book bindings of very old books. But is your place that dark and moist that they find it hospitable?

I love going to the library for many reasons, and one of which is the musty smell of the old books which I do think is a bit of mold or fungal or something like that.

None of the books at home have that odor and some are very old.

As for saving books, well, there is a subset of hoarding called book-hoarding.

It's something to think about.

• wednesday morning
    5 years ago

The reality is that used books have very little value and are in excess in our modern world. They don't last forever, either. And, they are very heavy and awkward to move around and store.

Another reality is that the number of them that you are going to read again is very limited.

A third reality is that your family will probably get rid of them all after you die. The actual number of books that have any lasting value, of any manner, are really very limited in number. Sure, there are some that have lasting personal value to any one person. But, not very many in scope of the vast number of books that some people have collected in their homes.

When my daughter and her husband purchased their house, the entire house was covered in book shelves that were chock full of books. There were tons and tons of books. The reason that they were left in the house is because there is very little value to them and no one wanted them. It really amounted to a small library.

A review of what was there yielded quite a wide variety of books, from cheap novels, to vintage and antique books. Some had been kept since the older couple were young and were inscribed. Both the original owner of the house and the subsequent older couple who then owned it were all teachers and all from the local area. So, they had accumulated a lot of books between them, over the decades.

There was little thought gone in to assessing the book as to it's value, to anyone. It seemed to have built from the idea that all books are worthy. So, it it was a book, it went on the shelf.

What a job it was to get rid of the excess! Granted, there were any number of curiosities to be sampled in this collection. Daughter even contacted a local book dealer, and the only deal they could offer was to trade the books for other books. She did not want different books. She wanted to get rid of what she had. They filled the house, literally.

She invited anyone she knows to come in and take whatever they wanted.

Some do still remain. But, there is really no value to them. They really were a diverse collection, of everything. Some of them seem to be so unique and interesting that is hard to fathom that they have little, or no, value.

Bottom line is that the only real value to them is whatever the owner attaches to them or what you might be able to convince someone to pay you.

I have a couple of books from my childhood and can still just look at the cover and remember how excited that book made me feel. We had very, very few books as children. It was not like today when books are all over the place and we are dealing with excess. There were no real bookstores in most towns back in those days. If you were lucky, your school had a library, or there was a local library or a mobile library. The last couple of decades of the last century brought about large retail level buying venues for books and people came in and bought all kinds of books.

I spent seven years selling those books to people at the local bookstore. I saw all manner of things go in to print between the covers of books. A lot of it was not worth printing, in my estimation. The retail trade gave rise to a lot of "pop" books from fiction to self help. Just about anything that was believed to have some selling value was printed, worthy or not. I saw the shelves that held the art, the science and the literature dwindle and be taken over by these hot seller popular genres.

The same with children's books. Most were simply promotions for licensed characters such as Dora and the Disney princesses, or American Girl dolls. The older independent readers were largely promotions for TV and movies. There were even fiction books that were rewritten as per the movie version of the original book!

Then, there were all of the contemporary social and political non fiction books that popped up from every pundit who had a thought about anything. Most had no relevance beyound the one political or social moment in time and were quickly replace by the next political "tell all" by the time the next truck load of books pulled up to the loading dock.

That is the reason that there are now excessive amounts of printed matter floating out there with no real value. People collected all manner of things, from books to toys. Most of it has no real value today because there were millions of copies of it produced. Husband has a wall of books. I keep telling him to get rid of them now because the kids are just going to haul them away when we die.

The only real value is what your books have to you. If that is your value, by all means, build those shelves.

• PRO
    5 years ago

That is what the poster is saying they consider the books of value to them. I have a Kindle and it in no way replaces a book in my hand but I do use it when travelling and its great. Just like I can use a CAD pkg. for design but prefer to sit at my drafting table with a fresh piece of paper and a nice sharp pencil for my design work. There are some things that just have value beyond money.

• JD
    5 years ago

I would check IKEA's Billy bookcases too. They can give the look of a built-in without the high price tag.

billy bookcase built in - Google Search · More Info

Billy Bookcase with Library Ladder

Billy Bookcase Hack with Library Ladder - The Lilypad Cottage · More Info

• J Corn
    5 years ago

I posted above about keeping my favorite books. But ebooks, which used to sadden be compared to “ real” books have become a necessity for my aging eyes, beyond even the miracles of surgery to fix, and I can’t read all font sizes of words...a fair amount still but also a significant amount with words that are too small to decipher. . I can adjust the font on a Kindle. That’s a game changer...and the reason my books with small font are now going to new homes.

• wednesday morning
    5 years ago

By all means, that person should invest in some shelves.

I have a friend who has been a collector for his whole life. He loved to seek out and find a book that he wanted. It gave him great pleasure to do so.

Now, life has turned a bad turn for him and he is looking at only a short foreseeable future. He has told me how the books that he once placed such value in now sit in his nice shelves and don't bring him the joy that he had expected, or the thrill that they once did. They serve to remind him of the fact that he has no future to have a relationship with them and that he spent his life energies in collecting them.

It is a little like a child that he showered with love and attention that does not now return in kind. He has no children, only books and cats that he shares with his wife.

The reality (again, the reality) is that the books are his and his wife does not share his ownership of them. She has a mission in life that she is totally dedicated to, but it does not include his books. He has told my husband ( his longest childhood friend) that they are his when he dies. Not so. Sorry, but they are not coming to my house.

He is a collector, not a hoarder of books. The above poster is right that there is a difference.

My husband has the idea that the books on his shelf reflect who he is. Yes, they do reflect his interest in science and the human experience, human origins, etc. The reality (oh, the reality!) is that they do not translate into "Dad" after he is gone. They will remember Dad, but not through the books he has on his shelves. Those, they will put in cardboard boxes and haul off to the local library resell.

Still, the knowledge that is printed between the covers of those books is so extensive. It does not seem right that such a gathering of knowledge should be so easily disposed of and dismissed. The value in that knowledge, the art in that literature, the expression of the values of a culture is such a treasure! That is how knowledge and enlightenment is passed---through the printed words. I understand that. But, much like the human body, books also get old and turn to dust. And, due to the prolific and cheap printing industry many, many, people have many,many books, unlike in ages past when they were much more rare. The printing press has been replaced by electronic media.

Have you ever tried to go through a stack of old National Geographic magazines and throw them away? They make you want to save every one of them because they are so beautiful and they contain such knowledge about our world and people. But, how are you going to keep all of them? It is almost obscene too see them there in the recycling bin. But, I can't be the keeper of it all! There is just too much!

Yes, the original poster seems to place great value in their books. The personal value can be quite real, no matter any other reality. So, they should enjoy and value and keep what ever they deem important to them.

I stand by my assertion that there is more enjoyment and pleasure to be had when it is directed toward fewer possessions. You will enjoy and treasure more when you have less.

• swrite
    5 years ago
    Hi, Ara. Nothing wrong with having lots of books. Fellow book lover here & no way I’m replacing all my paperbacks with a Kindle. How about an under-the-bed box for some of the overflow if that space isn’t already being used for storage? And depending on how your doors are setup, sometimes there’s enough space behind a door for a small bookshelf. I’ve seen some online made just for that purpose.
  • tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

Oh dear God, the Nat Geos! My father passed away last month. He was a good hobby carpenter and built long freestanding bookshelves for their hallway, mostly to hold his Nat Geos, going back to at least the 1980s. I noticed the unwrapped ones and realized he has a paid up subscription and they are still coming. My mother needs room, both to move and to breathe. I will attempt to donate the whole lot the next time I'm in town.

I love books and reading. We lost book storage in a remodel and it forced us to evaluate which books we keep. We need to cut again since the remaining ones do not yet fit in the library space available. I very thankful for the library donation box and a charity book drop box near our house. It is time to share. Plus, it makes me feel like Benjamin Franklin to give/share books.

• wednesday morning
    5 years ago

Those magazines are among some of the most beautiful! But, there are so many copies of them that they have no monetary value and who is ever going to actually read them? Not ever your father read them all, apparently.

I once knew an old woman who had collected them since many decades ago. This was back some time ago, so her collection went really back. I will bet that they got trashed when she died. She had no children and no family around.

One thing that I did with some of them was to take the address off and leave them in waiting rooms that I might happen to visit and anytime that I had a flight, I would take a couple of them and leave them on the plane, tucked down in the pouch.

But, you have so darned many of them!

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago
  • tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

Ara A , do you have room for a horizontal bookcase bench under a window? I've seen the IKEA shelves used like this.

Beechwood Modern Home · More Info

• hollybar
    5 years ago

While it is always a good idea to cull through,some of us will always have many books left. I do (no apologies) and have found that custom,shallow (anywhere from 6.5 -8 inches) bookshelves suit about 90% of what I have. Mostly HC,some trade paper,about 6 linear feet of mass market sized stuff. I have other deeper shelves for the remainder. The first shallow shelves I had made are still with me,still useful. When I had them done,I was still perfecting my "system" but remember planning the distance between the shelves which are stationary. My point is that many times "big bookshelves" squander space. That's why I've seen folks who double up their rows of books within a shelf. Now,for me,that's a no-go,never happen situation.....as unthinkable as no books at all.

• jillybean103
    5 years ago

I get why people want to keep the books they read. It’s a hobby and a collection. But at some point, keep the best and dump the rest. Not every book was great. Create your bookcase including the best ones ....the ones you love and don’t give the lesser works the same awesome placement.

Then there’s that attachment to the quantity....

Before you donate them, create your own virtual library - take a picture of the cover of every book you own and create a digital album/library. There for all time and for your enjoyment to watch it grow. Then you can create a collage of the digital covers....a mosaic and turn it into your own photo art to hang. There they are in a huge picture on your bedroom wall. Keep the ones you love...but don’t let the quantity overwhelm.

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Try rolling bins under the beds for paperbacks and limit the bookcases to actual hard back books.

• Jeanne Watkins
    5 years ago

If you should decide to donate your books please do not forget a nearby prison or correctional facility. Books are in huge demand and are always needed.

• K Laurence
    5 years ago

I donate mine to senior centers & convalescent hospitals. And I always take a stack of my magazines with me when I have a doctor or dentist appointment.

• wednesday morning
    5 years ago

When sending your books out to new homes it might be advised to keep in mind the "audience" that you are sending them off to. Some books might be unsuitable or uninteresting to people in some situations.

Books are as varied in content as are human beings.

This is true of just about anything that we send on it's way to others as per our donations. If the donation does not suit the recipient, there is no point in it, except to make the donor feel better about passing it on.

Organizations that take donations must get a lot of stuff dumped on them. The SA and the GW both keep large dumpsters at hand and toss a lot of stuff.

• suzyq53
    5 years ago

I was looking through a coffee table book about California in the 60s at the local library. It was a large picture book with glossy pages and very cool images from that time. I'm pretty sure it was from a private donation. It smelled kind of moldy when I opened it and about 10 minutes later I was experiencing a major asthma attack. So I imagine having a large collection of these old books in your home would not be a good thing.

• wednesday morning
    5 years ago

They also suck the moisture out of the air. This might not be much of a problem in your smaller home collection, but it is in a large bookstore. I expect it would also be in a library.

People who spend a lot of time in a bookstore get very dry sinuses.

We used to have a lot of books that we carried around with us when we moved. Seeing as how it was always I that was doing all the packing and keeping of books, I started to get rid of them many years ago.

I moved the whole mess out of the basement family room and into an upstairs room that hubby took over after the kids moved out. Storing books in a basement area is not a good idea.

They smelled. They absorbed moisture.

That is what that old book smell is. And, the new book smell if of the printing inks. Neither of these is as benign as some make it sound.

Books made from dead trees do not last forever.

• jillybean103
    5 years ago

Joni at Cote always has inspiring blog posts and this one on book storage reminded me of your post....Enjoy!!!

https://cotedetexas.blogspot.com/2018/08/where-to-put-extra-books.html?showComment=1534164034658#c7366799055970661811

• Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

another vote for the rolling bins under the bed for paperbacks. paperbacks always look scruffy on the shelves, anyway. i used to have an amazing TBR stash under the bed that my husband never found out about (well, i dont think he did...)

we are in our early 60s, just had our second floor repainted (3 bedrooms, one used as den, one as my office) and we had to pack everything in boxes in preparation for the painters. its an old house and we had a notion of getting all of the plaster over lath walls and ceilings repaired. oh my, when we moved in 9 years ago we had the movers pack and unpack a lot of things, this was all on us and i gotta say WE HAVE TOO MANY BOOKS. i have a stack by the back door and take a couple to donate every time i walk to the library. we have to whittle and winnow or we'll never be able to repaint in 10 more years.

• wednesday morning
    5 years ago

If the criteria for keeping a book on the shelf is based on whether, or not, the book is a hard back, one must ask by what measure is the worthiness of the book judged? Is the book being judged only by it's cover?

And, if books must be stored under the bed and out of sight, perhaps they are not worthy of storing. The likelihood of any of those books having future value is really pretty slim.

Storing boxes of things like that is very close to hoarding. It is a far cry from keeping a book out in the spaces of your life because it has a significance and adds value to your life.

The term "pulp fiction" did not come out of nowhere. Most of those PBs are printed on cheap acidic paper and will just yellow and turn to dust. They are not meant to be kept. They are cheap, disposable thrills in genres such as mystery and science fiction, mostly.

The "QP's", quality paperbacks, are printed on better materials and are a cut above the PB's.

Still, if all you are doing is storing them.............under the bed, or in a box in the closet,no less............... why?

• loobab
    5 years ago

I am one of those awful people who double up their books.

So what?

I know where things are.

I am also one of those people who think science fiction is a good read, a great read.

Robert Heinlein and Isaac Asimov were geniuses.

You keep a book because you love it and you want to refer to it or read it again and again, and maybe it is easier to carry around a light paperback, et excusez-moi monsieur soup du jour, we all don't pay oodles of money for hard backs or want our books to take up that much space or weigh that much.

What is a "cut above" is what goes into our minds, it's really not important the quality of paper. Books are meant to be read and enjoyed, not to be collectibles prized based on the quality of their paper and bindings.

• wednesday morning
    5 years ago

The difference between a PB and a QP is the quality of the paper that it is printed on. A PB is printed on lower quality pulp paper that has a high acid content. A QP is printed on better quality paper and is usually a larger format. A QP is much the same as a soft covered "hardback" book.

The genres of science fiction,mystery, and romance have, traditionally, been printed on pulp paper. They were marketed in the less expensive venues of spinners in retail stores and drug stores and were purchased as cheap reads with people buying the next one in the series as it came out in quick order, thus earning a reputation as being formula fiction.

That does not mean that there are not some outstanding authors being published. Some mystery authors seem to have a following, and science fiction has a large audience. Judging from who it was that stood, transfixed, in the aisle of the SF, it seems to be largely males. Not always, of course. The larger "art" books in that genre were always graced with front covers of scantily clad, large breasted females. Romance novels attracted the women, obviously. And, then there was the "anime" that had young teens, largely female, entranced and sitting on the floor with books in hand. All of this "genre fiction" was kept in proximity to each other because of the format of most of it.

The PBs in the book store were so numerous and sold in such mass quantities that they had to be back stacked on the shelves. That meant running a row of spine out books on the outer edge and the excess was in layered stacks behind that row. People came in and purchased them by the dozens.

That is not the same situation with those other works of fiction that are classified under the genre of "literature". Most of those were QP and CL (cloth) format and they are not in series.

By, and because of, these convoluted factors these books came to be cheap reads that are printed on cheap paper and meant to be consumed in mass quantities.

I spent years working in a book store and observing what went on the shelf and who bought it.

Just because it is pulp fiction does not mean that there are no outstanding authors. It does not mean that you cannot store them under the bed, on the stairs, in stacks on the floor of the basement, in large containers or boxes, or where ever you wish.

If that is your thing.

Be aware that they have no value beyond your own reading pleasure. They are, quite literally, almost a dollar a dozen at most book sales.

• loobab
    5 years ago

A dollar a dozen, goody.

I'm off to the second hand book shop!

• wednesday morning
    5 years ago

Try the local library sales. My local county library has so many donated books that they can hardly give them away. A recent article said that the excess books end up at the used book stores. Although, if the library could not unload them, it is unclear how they could be of value to a used book store.

• bleusblue2
    5 years ago

Used books in good condition still have value - that's why a relative of mine still is in the used bookstore business. However, people who want to sell a library, for instance, after a relative has passed will in most cases be offered much much less than they thing their books are worth. Of course there are many exceptions. In her bookstore she has a section of cheaper paperbacks for sale but the majority of books go for 5 and up, some way up. The used book dealers are not getting rich, they are in it for the love of it.

• hollybar
    5 years ago

Before sending on books, including MM paperbacks, check their value. Sometimes an old MM can surprise you. https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=22483516488&searchurl=tn%3Dkindred%26sortby%3D17%26an%3Doctavia%2Bbutler%26fe%3Don&cm_sp=snippet--srp1--title4 Of course, actually selling the book is a different kind of project than storing 'em.

• wednesday morning
    5 years ago

When my daughter bought her house, it was filled with books and bookshelves. She had a hard time getting rid of them. The used bookstore only wanted to trade her book for book. These were books of all kinds, from at least a 60 years, or more, span of time.

There were not really any mass markets to speak of. Most were hardbacks.

All of the previous owners had been school teachers.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor