SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

Any idea how to go about painting this?

User
14 years ago

I wanted to start a new thread, as the painted rug I'd posted was kinda getting lost in my porch thread. I think I'm pretty well sold on painting a rug, and I like the idea of stripes. Sort of that Mexican serape look. Any idea how you'd go about doing this? My patio is cement, with some minor surface cracking. I'm thinking just measure out the overall size, and put down a base coat (what color, though? white?) -- or is a base coat even necessary? I think the edges wouldn't have to be precise. If they came out a bit wavy, that might make it look even more like a "real" rug (even though it's obviously not!). Then I thought I'd just mark off striping sections with painter's tape, and tackle each section with a different color. Well, at least alternate four or five different colors. What type of paint would you use to do this? I'm thinking there must be a specific type of porch paint that can take a lot of sweeping and hosing down? Would you top coat with anything when finished? If you've done something like this before, I'd love to hear your process.

Comments (22)

• mrsmarv
    14 years ago

Bravo for you! I think it's going to be gorgeous. I know Behr makes a Deck/Porch paint. We've used it on cement and it's held up well, including my incessant sweeping and hosing LOL. I don't know if it comes in quarts, but I couldn't see having to buy 5 or 6 gallons for a small are. Talk to the folks at your local paint/hardware store, like True Value. I find our local store has incredibly knowledgeable sales people. If I remember correctly, your porch is covered (??) You might want to put a coat of polyurethane on top of it after it cures a bit to help protect it.

Don't forget to post pics after it's done.

• User
    14 years ago

I don't believe a base coat is necessary however if you did put one down, I would use the lightest of all the colors your going to use. I just wanted to offer that after you tape off your stripes, it helps to paint over the tape with glaze before painting with your color. Painters tape is notorius for allowing paint to seep under it, and the glaze will keep that from happening. It drys clear and the paint covers over it perfectly. It also will not cause a problem when removing the tape either. That will help ensure your rug has perfect lines. Good luck, I think it will look wonderful with all the beautiful colors you already have in your home!

• Related Discussions

Any suggestions how to go about this?

Q

Comments (0)
    We ripped out pergo in our kitchen two months ago. We used a guy who refinished our existing wood floors when we moved into the house almost seven years ago. He did a good job then so figured we would use him again. He put in brand new hardwood in the kitchen (as I said, two months ago). We noticed immediately that it scratched super easy. Very different from the rest of the house. They weren't deep scratches but white and literally everywhere. I can honestly say that the floor looks totally trashed two months later. I called him three times (voicemail) and he finally called back last week. He immediately admitted fault and said he might have had a faulty sealer because another customer has also complained. He said he would come by this week. It's now Saturday. We called him twice this week (left messages) and he hasn't called back. What do we do now? It has to get fixed! Should we keep calling him (he has never actually picked up his phone) or will that freak him out. I just want him to do right by us but not sure he will. What would you do if you were in our shoes? Thanks!
    ...See More

Any ideas for painting a little girls dresser?

Q

Comments (1)
    Here's one the previous owners left for my daughter
    ...See More

ideas about re-painting this porch and doors?

Q

Comments (5)
    molding would make a difference on the doors. 45* cut rectangles, top shorter than bottom. mail slots will determine the top. DYI or contracting? visit a big box and look at the options, the possibilities are endless. larger trim on the out side and graduate down, no wider than 6". paint a bright color- turquoise, light rust, green. the symmetry of the building dictates large similar color vases on each side or the entry, 3 different sizes on each side. dyi- best guess is $500, contract out, double.
    ...See More

Any idea what is going on with this avocado plant?

Q

Comments (5)
    More info needed ..... applied anything to the foliage or cleaned the foliage with anything? How old is plant? ..... recently fertilized? ..... using what for a grow medium? By what metric do you determine when it's time to water? ..... pot have a drain hole? Does your home have an ionic exchange water softener (one that uses salt)? Al
    ...See More
  • User
    14 years ago

Solid hide acrylic concrete stain, available at Pittsburgh Paint Stores and probably Lowe's.

I wouldn't paint a polyurethane over it though. If any moisture gets into the concrete, either through the sides or bottom (if there's no water barrier under it), it will make white bubbles under the poly and ruin your paint job.

If it were me, I would use foam rollers of different sizes to make the stripes and an artist's brush to do the tassles. I might even paint a base of the paint of the lighter color and let it set a few minutes and then brush through with a whisk broom to make "weaving rows", and then paint the stripes on top of it later. If the top layer wears through any, it will show the bottom layer and look natural.

Can't wait to see your before & after pictures.

• JennaVaNowSC
    14 years ago

Great ideas! Wondering if this paint technique would work on a wooden deck floor?

• CaroleOH
    14 years ago

Marti8a, what a good idea on the brushing the base coat.

I like the idea of using rollers and maybe a pencil line only to make your stripes. That way if they're not perfect, it will look more woven. I think the photo you posted is nice, but the stripes are almost too perfect. Maybe you could even do a ragging or brush stroke on some of the stripes and solid paint on others for more texture.

• roobear
    14 years ago

This is how I would do it. . .

First, I would paint it using crushed sidewalk chalk and water to make sure that I liked how the 2D rug looked. Mix the water with the chalk powder and paint on the concrete using any artist paint brush. This also would help you figure out how you want to paint it and what design you liked.

Second, if I liked the way it looked, I think I would use Magic Colors removable paint system. It's paint that can be put on almost any surface indoor or out, including concrete, it won't wash off with rain, will hold up to the elements well, almost totally non toxic, and my favorite part it's 100% removable using their remover solvent combined with soap and water.

This way in a few years if you want to remove it for any reason it would be easy. The paint can be on the expensive side-last time I checked I think it was like 20.00 for a pint, but does come in several colors or at a higher cost they will color match or do custom colors.

Just another option to think about. . . in any case it looks like a fun project.

Here is a link that might be useful: Magic Color Removable Paint

• ladyamity
    14 years ago

Oh Dear!

AuntJen,
    I had both of your posts (this one and your 'making it cute' post) open side by side and put some instructions for painting a rug on wood flooring into the wrong post!
    That'll teach me......stop trying to do the multi-tasking thing, Amity. :(

• ladyamity
    14 years ago

You are painting on Cement! (again, *sigh* I need to stop trying to multi-task)

Same-same.
    Clean it really well,
    Make sure it is as dry as it can be.
    Use the same paints I suggested in your other post.
    My huge clay pots (3 ft. tall, 2.5 ft. diameter) that I've painted over the years using any of those paints have lasted without any wear....through direct sun, water, rain, planting soil and lots of hits and bumping from other planters.
    Can't stress enough...make sure the cement is Dry before you start painting!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

Another one to look into is Trojan Color Sealer. The colors, oh my goodness, the colors. When you said Mexican serape, first thing I thought was TCS. If you use it, I will be dying to see it done!

Here is the on-line color chart for their Tropical Brights:
    Tropical Brights

Here's the site:
    Color Sealer

Could be a problem if you want several colors because it could get pricey and I'm not sure if it comes in less than 1 gal. The Tropcial Brights may come in smaller quantity, but I don't know for sure.

• lido
    14 years ago

Mark off the 'stripes' with tape and you'll get good, clean lines.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all so very much for all of the input! You've given me much to research and consider, and I appreciate knowing more about this. I think I can do it! (Don't you? ;-))

You guys have educated me on paint types that I had no idea existed! Very interesting! Funcolors, those TCS hues are completely luscious! Wow ... I am so ready to get started on this, but do want to research my options thoroughly before making a decision on exactly how to proceed. The good thing is that DH is in favor of painting the floor, so maybe he won't be upset if the paint that I select is a teensy bit more costly than he anticipates.

Goodness, if I can pull off this painted rug as I'm envisioning it, I may just move to the front porch for the duration of the summer and fall months. :-)

• threedgrad
    14 years ago

funcolors, I really love those tropical bright colors too. Where can you buy this paint? Just from the manufacturer?

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

On the other hand ... Just saw this on Homedecorators.com (I'm sure I've previously seen it elsewhere - I remember that gorgeous turquoise shade -- and it's reversible, with the flip side also shown here!) - this is an outdoor rug, and a 6x9 is a mere $84 with free shipping. How do you guys thinks this would look on my colorful porch? I'm pretty sure I'll spend a lot more than $84 on painting a rug ... I just don't know. Sometimes I think I'm totally wishy-washy. ;-)

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I never knew my DH could be so opinionated when it comes to decor! I showed him the pic of the rug at Homedecorators.com, and he said he really wants a painted rug instead. He doesn't like the look of the real rug for the porch, but thinks vibrant, serape-style stripes is the way to go.

So I guess I'll be painting. (But now that he's being so insistent, he's gonna help. ;-))

• roobear
    14 years ago

Auntjen that's so funny because my DH is the same way. Just when I think he won't care he comes out of no where with a strong opinion and it usually won't match mine. :)

I like the rugs, less permanet option, but the painting project will be fun as well. Besides I usually play it more safe than I should-hence the removable paint suggestion.

I love the yellow chairs by the way, they really make the space feel more cheerful.

• natal
    14 years ago

I'd go with the real rug. Those outdoor rugs are so easy to keep clean and they soften the space. And there's no denying those are definitely your colors. Painted is nice, but then you've committed. The only option for change is to repaint. Course if you enjoy painting that's no big deal.

• mistybear11
    14 years ago

For a compromise and still achieve the pattern you want you could paint a floorcloth. another

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, a decision has been reached. I went ahead and ordered the reversible rug pictured above (talked DH into it!). These rugs are called "Mad Mats" and are made from recycled soda bottles, and are a fair trade industry. I really like the fact that they're crafted from recycled goods in a responsible manner, and of course it doesn't hurt that the more I envision this particular design (the aqua side, especially) with my porch furnishings, the more I think it's perfect. Too, the rug can be here by the end of the week, and I'm not sure when I'll get around to painting one. I'm impatient. ;-)

Anyway ... I'll post pics again when I get it pulled together with the rug and a couple more touches that I have in mind. The painted rug is still an option for later ... perhaps after we get some landscaping done and I feel like tackling another project, I'll give it some more consideration.

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

I have a feeling that mat will be just the right touch.

• funkyart
    14 years ago

SOOOO glad you got a mad mat-- that is the one I suggested on your original thread. I have wanted it for myself for a long time but I have been waiting until I replace the porch furniture to decide-- it may be one of the other designs will better suit my space. And, like you, I love that they made something funky and beautiful out of old soda bottles.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL, funkyart! Yep, it was you who originally suggested this particular mat! I knew I'd seen it somewhere, but I've looked at so much stuff online lately that I'd completely forgotten it was in that original thread. (Sorry! ;-)) I ordered it from Outdoor Rugs Only as well -- hey, free shipping and good reviews on their site. I expect it to arrive by the end of the week, and I can't wait to get it! I hope you'll be able to find one that works for you when you get ready to replace your furniture. I love supporting stuff like this. It may be a small thing, but in the overall scheme I think that every little positive thing we can do environmentally and socially is worth it.

• funkyart
    14 years ago

No reason to be sorry-- I didnt expect you to remember MY specific post LOL. I will definitely find one that works for me.

I totally agree about buying recycled/green-- and the really cool thing is that as they get more popular, we will find more of it. My local garden store sells mad mats now (but the more run of the mill styles)and some other "green" type products. I think that will continue and our options will grow as we keep buying!

Hope you love your rug-- can't wait to see photos.