SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rubyclaire1

NYC/Upper West Side/Columbia University...Need some recommendations

rubyclaire
5 years ago

My daughter is starting graduate school at Columbia University/Teachers College this fall and I will be traveling with her in late August to help her get settled. She will be living in one of the residence halls this first year in order to get a better sense of the area.

While I have been to the city many times, this is an area I don't really know very well. I attended a conference at Columbia several years ago and stayed at The Beacon. As I recall, we still needed to taxi up to Columbia.

So...I could use the collective knowledge of this group for the following:

• Where would you stay in this area? We will be there 6 nights. My DB and SIL have a 1 BDR apartment on the Upper East Side so, depending on whether they are in town, it is possible we may stay there a night or two. If they are not in town, I'm sure they will offer us the use of the apartment but I think it is a bit of a hike from Columbia. (Near 57th&Park)
  • Recommendations for things to do, places to see, restaurants in this area? We would like to see a show or two so let me know if you saw something you just loved.
  • If you or your child has attended Columbia or Barnard, any special tips for living in this area? Recommendations for shopping - groceries, dorm supplies, etc.?

Thanks in advance - lots of questions here!

Comments (17)