SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luckycanucky

Mid century kitchen ideas

luckycanucky
5 years ago

We just bought a new house with really nice flat panel cherry cabinets that I love. I’m not in love with the black granite countertops but oh well I can’t change that. I am stumped as to what type / color of backsplash tile I should use. I like the idea of penny tile as it’s a bit retro. The pictures include several colors I’m looking at. My idea with the penny tile was to have one solid background and randomly Intersperse one or two of the other colors. I’m also open to a pattern if somebody has a cool idea. The rectagular tile I really like. The multicolored one seemed to be a bit too dark. So I was planning on using the off white tile as the background and interspersing the coloref tiles to give it a bit of pop. Any advice ideas suggestions are welcome. This has been going on for months and I need to make a decision!!!

Comments (78)

• luckycanucky
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks! I do love my cabinets. It’s what sold me on the house. They’re not for everyone but I like the simplicity and modernity of them. I will check out the fireclay tile for sure. I think someone else also suggested it.

• Anna B
    5 years ago

I would do black high gloss subway or matte black textured tile (like the white one you have pictured, but in black). MCM is all about clean. I think introducing a whole other pattern will draw the eye away from the beauty of the wood. You do not need anything complicated or busy. I think white only works if your countertop is white. Your cabinets are awesome.

luckycanucky thanked Anna B
  • Related Discussions

Help me make a mid century mid century modern

Q

Comments (13)
    Read the Housetweaking blog from early 2011 through 2016/2017 or so. Dana and her husband bought an old, ugly midcentury and DIYed it into a really cool space - keeping the midcentury vibe but not being 100 percent married to it and doing it on a budget. They've moved on to a different house but all the old posts are still on the site. https://www.housetweaking.com/current-house/
    ...See More

HELP, Retro Pink Bathroom with Brick wall - Ideas anyone? Mid Century

Q

Comments (33)
    I love this bathroom discussion. I swear it’s our bathroom from when we were in college in a California duplex. We had geometric 50s wallpaper that had teal, pink, lavender, orange and silver in it. The cabinet was wood and looked just like yours. I’d sand and seal the cabinet and go after vintage wallpaper. We have never had a tub that matched that one for relaxed soaking. The other half of the duplex had green tile, full out lavender tub and beige floor tile. Haha. The only thing that really looks bad is that window. The frame looks pretty rough.
    ...See More

Mid-Century Modern Fireplace Design Ideas

Q

Comments (19)
    it's a mixture of lava rock and another type of rock. I'd be more of a fan if it was really tall (and I lived in the mountains) Or, was this cool dark color. (the copper hood and wood slat bench make the space) BTW, you could easily make it look like this. Romabio Masonry lime tinted a brown/black, and a very dark mortar for the joints. (which you could also 'paint') I still like the mortar wash option But, if you want to keep it as is, here's how to spruce up the stone. (Because right now, it's just not nice looking) Clean it w/a good stone cleaner. redo the mortar joints (repipe it ) and then apply an enhancing sealer to the stone. you should get pretty close to this look Looks better w/the appropriate lighting and the wood ceiling. The rock itself isn't anything to leave earth for. it's not some iconic mid century design. It's just something done in the 60's. if you like it great. But if you want to pay homage to more of a mid century look, there are better options. Do a roman brick like mentioned above, or even a glazed brick If it was mine, I'd do something darker like this (stacked brick) Bring in the right design, and this is gorgeous. more of a modern look w/3D tiles and black surround try a basalt or slate tile (I think the darker ones look so much nicer than lava rock) redoing it w/something a bit more linear: And, if you remove the stone, you can restyle it anyway you want. Here are the thinner bricks in a matte black w/a vertical paneling above the natural wood mantle. imagine it w/o your popcorn and the eyeball light and vertical blinds! so much better
    ...See More

Renovating a Mid Century Ranch. Need Living Room ideas

Q

Comments (31)
    Its looking great. Thanks for coming back and showing us the progress. Its not often people do that. Your view of the lake is gorgeous.
    ...See More
  • Anna B
    5 years ago

something like this...

• rantontoo
    5 years ago

I think you will regret those tiny sheeted tiles since they do not seem to be very retro. While they are still featured in the big box aisles, I think you need to go a different direction if you want a retro look with a modern spin. Try looking for glass subway tiles in the colors that you like.

luckycanucky thanked rantontoo
  • User
    5 years ago

I do think you can never go wrong with classic, high gloss subway. As stated above, it would create a simple, clean background that will outlive any trend.

luckycanucky thanked User
  • PRO
    Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Minor quibble...the edge on your countertop is all wrong for MCM. It should be eased. We have completed a few MCM kitchens.

Mid-Century Modern Redo · More Info

Classically Modern · More Info
    One note about the dimensional backsplash tile referenced above and in the first photo, you have to be aware that your outlets and switches will not sit flush on it! So you need to grind the relief portions of the tile for a smooth transition (very difficult) or you need to trim the switches and outlets with a piece thicker than then thickest portion of the dimensional tile.

luckycanucky thanked Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
  • User
    5 years ago

I would love to see a Photoshop of your cabinets with the la st tile in IdaClaire's first post.

• luckycanucky
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Kristen Petro, thank you so much for your comments!! yes I agree, the ogee edge on my granite is not MCM and I hate everything about the granite. I looked into getting it honed for a less shiny appearance or the edge changed but it can't be done in place. The kitchen was remodeled by the previous owners and the fact that they didn't use an eased edge stumps me given that they went with modern cabinetry. If you have any suggestions on how to make the countertops more modern (without ripping them all out!) I would be open to anything! I also appreciate your comment about the dimensional tile, that would be difficult to install as a DIYer so that is definitely crossed off my list. I have way too many outlets in my kitchen for some reason. So I am not necessarily needing an MCM look (although my bar stools and kitcehn table are that style) I just want something that fits with the cabinets and countertops that won't look dated. A few people mentioned FIreclay Tiles which I checked out and absolutely LOVE. Now I am leaning towards a medium sized subway tile in a light green color which I may install in a straight pattern to give it a more modern look.

• Marta
    5 years ago
    I like the teal pennytile, but I love the colorful rectangles. Those would be spectacular imo.
    luckycanucky thanked Marta
  • PRO
    5 years ago

Fireclay is a pretty expensive tile to be putting over a countertop you hate. I'm not sure how much backsplash you have, but you might want to do the math first. We used their Wave pattern here.

Calm Contemporary Basement · More Info

• caligirl5
    5 years ago

I love this one posted above. Same color would be nice in a square/rectangle shape too.

luckycanucky thanked caligirl5
  • luckycanucky
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Considering that I am having such a difficult time choosing a backsplash and it's mainly because of that countertop I am considering waiting a bit and replacing them. Then my backsplash would be so easy to chose. The counters below my upper cabinets I can afford to replace in a quartz (10 linear feet) but its the giant island that I have with a sink that is cost prohibitive.

• luckycanucky
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Callgirl5, that's my favorite too. I would love to know where to get it and to see what it looks like in a picture

• suezbell
    5 years ago

Beautiful cabinets. The black countertop doesn't look bad with it either.

Do you want to keep the retro look of your mid century kitchen -- have you considered using a single horizontal row of tile -- perhaps a deep burgundy or dark brick look tile --

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Merola-Tile-Antic-Special-Red-Moon-3-in-x-6-in-Ceramic-Wall-Tile-1-sq-ft-pack-WCVASR/206713909?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CBase%7CD23%7C23-6_FLOOR_AND_WALL_TILE%7CNA%7CPLA%7c71700000032320965%7c58700003839237700%7c92700030691007588&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-fivnu372wIVSTyBCh2NkA_tEAQYAiABEgLb5fD_BwE&dclid=CNmI86Ht-9sCFVZmwQod51kIJg

-- and painting the rest of the wall between your countertop and overhead cabinets. If not

If you actually like your cabinets -- the clean simple lines of them -- then why clutter them up with a "busy" backsplash?

luckycanucky thanked suezbell
  • caligirl5
    5 years ago

I google searched the image, designer says that it's Waveline Glass tile by Island Stone

If anyone wants to drool some more:

Kitchen from Family · More Info

luckycanucky thanked caligirl5
  • PRO
    5 years ago

It's Waveline by Island Stone.

http://www.islandstone.com/product/waveline/

Jinx! We used it recently in a kitchen.

• luckycanucky
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Suezbell! I would like to have a full backsplash not just for appearance but for functionality as well. My family loves to cook and bake and the painted wall is just not working for us. Plus there is a 1/4" gap on one section of my countertops where the back of the countertop does not meet the wall. The previous owners filled it with silicone (!!) and I dug it all out because it looks terrible.

• luckycanucky
    Original Author
    5 years ago

LOL! thanks callgirl5 and Kristen Petro! definitely drool-worthy!

• User
    5 years ago

I really like your cabinets, but I might not be completely objective.

Waveline in that soft green is what I’d like to see photoshopped into your kitchen to see whether it looks good with the color of your cabinets. I think it might even look better with the vertical grain of your cabinets than it does with the horizontal grain cabinets in the tile photos.

”Then my backsplash would be so easy to chose.” Hahaha! Just you wait!

• beadsnsew
    5 years ago

Could you replace the perimeter counters and leave the island black for now?

• luckycanucky
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes I am considering that idea. But I still have to convince my husband LOL! Of course she sees nothing wrong with the granite as it is.

• houssaon
    5 years ago

I love the tile that Ida Claire recommended. It looks like it comes in great colors that would work with your counter tops and cabinets.

• chicagoans
    5 years ago

Here's that great Waveline tile photoshopped under your cabinets.

In the pix posted above (e.g. ida's and caligirl's) it looks like 2 shades of green, so I'm thinking they alternated rows using the reed and seagrass colors. I like that look - subtle but some added interest. I also really like the blue colors and I tried to find an image of the two blues interspersed like the two greens. (There are a couple of pix of the blue on their site, but the one that really shows the color is behind a glass shower door.)

luckycanucky thanked chicagoans
  • luckycanucky
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you for the pic Chicagoans! I have been working on trying to photoshop the tile in. This is what I got with more of the counter and cabinets. Opinions?! (on the backsplash not on the photoshopping skills!)

• Bri Bosh
    5 years ago
    I really think we need to see a full photo of the kitchen including flooring to make a good recommendation.
  • luckycanucky
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Bri Bosh, here are more pics with overhead lights on and off. I am planning on replacing flooring. WAAAY too much wood.

• njmomma
    5 years ago

following

• rockybird
    5 years ago

I would not do a backsplash and wait and replace the counters with a quartz. The edge and material of your counters are not perfect for mcm. The backsplash for that amt. of space will not be cheap. I think it’d be better to put the money towards new counters. You are trying to change the look of the counters with the backsplash and you are taking a risk that you wont like it once done. If you ultimately change out the counters anyway, you may have to tear the backsplash out and then you’ve wasted money.

Once you change out the counters, you can take some time and save more money for the backsplash. You can take a lot of time. I am still deciding on my midcentury modern backsplash years later.

Your cabinets are absolutely beautiful, btw. I might see what July 4 sales will be going on for counters, at least to get an idea. I’d look at corian, caesarstone, silestone, cambria, and similar materials.

Dont get me wrong, your counters arent terrible at all, but I wouldnt put money into a backsplash if you dont like them and truly want a midcentury modern look.

luckycanucky thanked rockybird
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

No, no, no, no, no!!! Those cabinets are lovely and have a very prominent grain. DO NOT use any of these tiles - they are busy, many are totally dated, and all will detract from your cabinets, which are the star.

Use a simple subway tile. Use a larger one so there is less grout. Keep it VERY simple!!!!!

• luckycanucky
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Anglophilia, Thank you for your suggestions! I agree, I think a large subway tile in a subtle shade (glass perhaps) is the way to go either offset or straight pattern even if I decide to replace the coutner tops. With everyone's input I'm realizing that the cabinets should be the focal feature.

• Aurora Tee (Zone 6a)
    5 years ago

What about a back-painted glass backsplash? It can be one whole piece. Simple, easy to clean and looks great in a more modern cabinet setting. But, not cheap either.

I agree that the countertop edge is not the best for the look you are going for. If you do replace the counters, go eased.

luckycanucky thanked Aurora Tee (Zone 6a)
  • Tems
    5 years ago

Light solid color counter and light backsplash. Simple splash would of course work but I wouldnt be against having a little bit of fun with it. None of those dark or densely multicolored ones though.

• Laura Villar
    5 years ago

following

• chispa
    5 years ago

Do not get rid of your hardwood floors!

luckycanucky thanked chispa
  • wolfgang80
    5 years ago

Have you priced out a solid light color laminate or linoleum (Forbo makes a nice furniture linoleum) countertop? I love the look in a mid century house. It actually looks mid century vs mid century inspired contemporary which is ubiquitous. Material and fab costs should be significantly cheaper than quartz. Then, maybe a 4x4 tile from B&W (under $10/sf) or if there is room in the budget, look at Heath.

luckycanucky thanked wolfgang80
  • PRO
    DAB Interior Design, Inc.
    5 years ago

Hi, I don't like using a third color solid color, which has nothing to do with the cabinet color or the black granite. So far of the selections you showed, I would use the linear tile with the black, cabinet color and a third color. Either the turquoise, or celery green, or any other color that would work in your room, that is available with that tile. I would also try the tile vertically as well as horizontally to see how it looks. I feel it is definitely key to tie the same colors as the cabinets and countertop would make it feel that it belongs, tying it together and then add a third new color that would work with the rest of the room. floor, etc.

Some selections: Try tilebar.com: Look under backsplash-Pearl Shell

1. Deep Sea Mini Brick 2. Mother of Pearl Smoked Wood 3. Mini Brick Anchor-Gray Pearl Tile 4. South Seas Pearl-3D Brick Pattern Mosaic Tile

Good luck!

luckycanucky thanked DAB Interior Design, Inc.
  • User
    5 years ago

The horizontal lines of Waveline are too confusing (?) with all those beautiful cabinets.

• luckycanucky
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Chispa, the hardwood in our kitchen has large grooves which trap food/crumbs, hard to clean. Plus we have three different colors of hardwood in the house. I would like to make it consistent.

Wolfgang80, Thanks! I will check out Forbo. I priced solid surfaceout at HD yesterday and it was around $2000. Less than I thought it was going to be.

• PRO
    Layla Weiss Designs
    5 years ago

Traditionally Mid Century colors were green, orange, yellow and blues...My question is, are you comitted to era or just want hints of it? Personally, I say go bold. During this time architecture and furniture design pushed the envelope. And even though it's a backsplash you can still add color as needed with a thoughtful backsplash design. As a desinger it's easy to go safe, but this is your home, and you know you best.

Take your time with the decision. What I typically do if my client wants a colored backsplash is we paint the wall first the same hue and allow them to live with it for a week, then if they still love it move forward. I hope this helps and Happy Decorating!

luckycanucky thanked Layla Weiss Designs
  • PRO
    5 years ago

Do not underestimate the look and function of Corian in this application. The matte finish is on point in a MCM kitchen. We used it in this kitchen for an HGTV show.

This is Cloud White.

• luckycanucky
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Kristen Petro, thanks for the suggestion. Corian is also a great option. I will look into that. I love the photos of the kitchen you did!

Trebofael, I don't think I can go all in for the MCM look in my kitchen because the style is not throughout my house. I don't want the kitchen to be it's own style unto itself because it is open to our dining room and living room. My style is simple and uncluttered, warm woods with little detailing and a bit of a global vibe with items picked up on our travels. My color scheme is navy, peachy/orange, and a pale retro greenish/blue with neutral walls. I agree, I think I need to take more time with this. Before this post I never realized how great my cabinets were (I thought I was the only one who liked them!!) and never considered the grain of the wood, being so prominent, affecting the decision for my backsplash. I've learned a lot from everyone!

• btydrvn
    5 years ago
    I think the black counters are great...the appliances have black that ties in and the pale green backsplash is simple but with an interesting twist....the pale green backsplash does not conflict or distract from the cabinets .....but adds a light color lift and a needed contrast for the darker wood and counters...if you do decide to do new lighter color counters I would match the backsplash to that...to keep it simple and not stress over adding another color....tho I think the green is divine with everything as is
    luckycanucky thanked btydrvn
  • rockybird
    5 years ago

Before you buy the HD counters, look up the brand and reviews. I thought I read a bad review on one of their brands, but I might be misremembering. Also, I think modern counters looks best with a flatter or more square edge. I made mine really sharp, but I did chip it in two places.

luckycanucky thanked rockybird
  • Mrs Pete
    5 years ago

I LOVE penny round tiles, but I don't think they match shiny black granite. At all.

I like the mosaic on the right, but I would worry that mosaic is on its way out. How do you feel about things that've already peaked?

PRO 7 Likes
    Save

last Friday at 11:30AM
    Thanked by luckyc

I think the mini-subways with brights are cute ... but a little too playful for your cabinets and granite.

I
    do think you can never go wrong with classic, high gloss subway.

Oh, sure you can. I find them dull as dirt and grossly over-used.

No to grey. These cabinets and grey are not friends.

Much too busy.

I like this concept, but I find the white too "stark". I'd like it in an off-white or a pale shade.

Oooh, yes! Like this one!

I like this tile a great deal! It has personality, but it also blends. It does lean MCM. I'd personally like it even better in blue.

One last idea: 3" tile set on the diagonal ... with small accent tiles to bring in a touch of black /connect to the black countertop.

luckycanucky thanked Mrs Pete
  • RaiKai
    5 years ago

Beautiful cabinets! I agree with you on the counter, but I admittedly am not a fan of black granite.

If you absolutely MUST keep the counters, I would go with an off-white subway tile. A light texture is okay. White looks so beautiful and fresh with cherry cabinets. The penny tile, pencil mosaic, etc all look to busy for me.

But I would encourage you to wait and save up for new counters as you have already identified you do not like them. What you would have spent on a new backsplash now can be first thing to go in the “countertop fund” jar. A white quartz would be lovely.

luckycanucky thanked RaiKai
  • luckycanucky
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I ended up keeping the dark granite and going with a matte elongated hexagonal white tile installed vertically to go with the grain of the cabinets. All the advice not to compete with the cabinets was very helpful and I am pleased with the clean look. I did have an electrician move some outlets to undercabinet outlets and make the wall light switch smaller.

• Barrheadlass
    2 years ago

Beautiful! I am glad you came back to tell us what you decided!

luckycanucky thanked Barrheadlass
  • decormyhomepls
    2 years ago

Great decision!

luckycanucky thanked decormyhomepls
  • H202
    2 years ago

Good decision! i seem to recall reading this thread when it was originally posted, but frankly when i reread it today, i was looking on with horror at some of the bad recommendationss you got back then. i kept reading with dread, worried about where the ”update” post was taking me….. but this is a really good ending and outcome!

luckycanucky thanked H202
  • luckycanucky
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks H202! I’m very pleased with the end result and also look back at my first tile choices and think ”wow, what was I thinking!?” 😂 Less is more in my design book!