SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nycaptreno

Mid-Century Modern Fireplace Design Ideas

Randy Tabing
last year

I'm looking for ideas on renovating a fireplace. The home is a rancher built in 1963 and is in subdivison of similar like-sized homes (4 bedrooms, 2 baths in 1400 sf) on a 5,000 sf lot. So modest, which is what i have to spend on this.

The fireplace sits roughly in the middle of the space--flanked by a dining area to the left (with patio door to the outside) and the living area to the right.

EVERYTHING in the home will be renovated: existing aluminum windows retrofitted with Milgard vinyl; carpet on the slab floor replaced with luxury vinyl; popcorn ceilings scraped; kitchen to be opened up and both bathrooms completely renovated.

The fireplace is a focal point upon entering the home. I'm going to stick with a mid-century "vibe" via simplicity of design, light fixtures and color pallette. So, here are my options:

1) Do nothing. embrace what we have and hopefully it will still look mid-century without looking dated or we got lazy with the design.

2) Light remodel. This maybe as simple as adding a wooden mantel across the middle (cantilevered; maybe with a live edge?). And/or "painting" in a neutral, or even white; or both.

3) Major remodel. Demolish what's there, and start from scratch. Note that the firebox is elevated, which would remain that way. Possibly the areas around, above and below the firebox applied with stone, tile, or? I figure I have a couple of thousand $'s for this, but no more than that.

Any input is appreciated.

Comments (19)

• Jilly
    last year
    last modified: last year

I’m certain I’ll be the only vote to keep it as is. :)

I think it’s a very cool and authentic fireplace, with lots of character.

A couple of vintage pics:

Looks great with lighter, airier looks, too:

This one was in Dwell magazine:

Showing this for the cool tile with it:

A few others:

https://www.houzz.com.au/photos/midcentury-living-room-design-photos-with-a-stone-fireplace-surround-phbr2-bp~t_10702~s_2315~a_49-378?pg=2

But it’s hard to say without knowing exactly how your room is going to look after the changes you’re planning.

What is your gut telling you? Do you like the more organic look, and think you can embrace it, or are you ready for something very different?

Randy Tabing thanked Jilly
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

You can limewash the rock to change its appearance but keep the texture Or you can remove the rock. See YouTube videos on how to demo it with a power chisel.

Randy Tabing thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Randy Tabing
    Original Author
    last year

Jinx: thanks for the input. My gut initially was to get rid of the fireplace. This was our grandma's house, having purchased it shortly after it was built. Growing up, it was partially covered up, with a seat cushion. The house is dark: rust wall-to-wall carpet, window coverings, and outside patio covering. So the impulse to demo and start over is strong. But as our remodeling plans emerge, with an eye towards that mid-century vibe, I think there might be a stronger case to keep. Maybe once we remove the patio covering, the window coverings, the carpet--we'll have a better sense of how to make this work. Your pics helped to support what could be, as is. So thanks!

• Randy Tabing
    Original Author
    last year

Beverly: thanks for the suggestion of limewash. If we decide to keep, and still feel it's too dark, then that's a great alternative to brighten without obliterating with white paint!

• ffpalms
    last year

Here’s another pic that may help you decide if you want to leave it as is.

SoBo Mid-Century · More Info

Randy Tabing thanked ffpalms
  • palimpsest
    last year

The most authentic thing to the house is the thing that is already there.

It seems like a lot of people think what's actually In these houses already is less authentic to the period than something they could build now. The reality is the name midcentury modern to describe this period did not really come into use until the 1980s. And just like any period of design there are lots of influences coming into play while things are being designed so in retrospect some things may not fit the definition we gave it later on.

(And yes, I realize the name "midcentury modern" was used by a furniture manufacturer way back in the 1950s to describe a particular line of furniture they had...that doesn't really change the fact that designers of the period did not call what they were creating anything but contemporary or modern).

Anyway, there would be nothing the matter with leaving it alone as the original builder intended it.

Randy Tabing thanked palimpsest
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

It really depends on you. Do you like as is?

You could redo the mortar joints w/something lighter and have the stone clean. maybe do a slight wash over it

or, do a complete mortar wash over the stones for this type of look

slight white wash and grout joint redo

more limewashed.

if you want to preserve it, cover it up w/cement board or wood (depending on the material you're going to use and fire codes) and tile or wood trim it out w/something else.

Up to you what fits your needs.

Randy Tabing thanked Beth H. :
  • Randy Tabing
    Original Author
    last year

I do like the suggestions made for retaining what was original to the house and complementing, and possibly softening the impact with surrounding neutrals and/or actual wash on the stone. I think the plan for now is definitely not to demo, and then doing our best to use this as a true feature of the home, as highlighted by some of the photos shared here. Thanks for the input!

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

Do everything else you plan first and see how well the FP as is fits in. Then decide.

• partim
    last year

Not a fan of stone veneer. It's just thin pieces of stone glued on and to my eye, it looks it. Unlike some of the photos above which are 3 dimensional blocks of stone.

If you want to replace it with (in my opinion) a more attractive MCM look, look at Roman brick (long bricks). https://www.atomic-ranch.com/interior-design/style-ideas-fireplace-surrounds/

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

it's a mixture of lava rock and another type of rock.

I'd be more of a fan if it was really tall (and I lived in the mountains)

Or, was this cool dark color. (the copper hood and wood slat bench make the space)

BTW, you could easily make it look like this. Romabio Masonry lime tinted a brown/black, and a very dark mortar for the joints. (which you could also 'paint')

I still like the mortar wash option

But, if you want to keep it as is, here's how to spruce up the stone. (Because right now, it's just not nice looking)

Clean it w/a good stone cleaner. redo the mortar joints (repipe it )

and then apply an enhancing sealer to the stone.

you should get pretty close to this look

Looks better w/the appropriate lighting and the wood ceiling.

The rock itself isn't anything to leave earth for. it's not some iconic mid century design. It's just something done in the 60's. if you like it great.

But if you want to pay homage to more of a mid century look, there are better options.

Do a roman brick like mentioned above, or even a glazed brick

If it was mine, I'd do something darker like this (stacked brick)

Bring in the right design, and this is gorgeous.

more of a modern look w/3D tiles and black surround

try a basalt or slate tile (I think the darker ones look so much nicer than lava rock)

redoing it w/something a bit more linear:

And, if you remove the stone, you can restyle it anyway you want. Here are the thinner bricks in a matte black w/a vertical paneling above the natural wood mantle.

imagine it w/o your popcorn and the eyeball light and vertical blinds! so much better

• tiffany66
    last year

You can actual stain brick and stone another color either inside or outside the house.

Mineral-based stains are a proven way to quickly change the color of your brick or masonry surface. The stains are breathable, permanent, and will last for decades on brick, stone, concrete, and other masonry surfaces.

Permatint product is sold in the US. This website has many before and after photos. One is even a fireplace stone.

https://www.facebook.com/LocalBrick/photos

Permatint being applied

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y5vo-N4DwU

Video on how to properly stain brick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8eO_kO_wSk

DyeBrick https://www.dyebrick.com/gallery/

Detailed technique https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5T4BkxeXRM

• tracefloyd
    last year

I don't like sharp rock painted white...it looks so much like sharp blocks of ice. I love the charcoal painted look used nowadays, but isn't that a trend, too? Hmmm. At least your fireplace is light in tone, ours is quite dark but we just live with the 'period' look and we do live in the mountains. Maybe if you lightened the few dark stones so it doesn't have that pock mark look?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

This is mine I actully disliked it at the beginning and now is my faveorite part of the space and mine is about 3 x the size of yours Mine also makes the backdrop in my kitchen for very contemporay range and stainless cabinets of course some wall removal and a big clean up before we loved it

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

@patricia - how do you mange to keep that rock clean behind the stove?

• palimpsest
    last year

I just cleaned up the photo, and added a solid hearth which I think would work better than the horizontal rock.

Randy Tabing thanked palimpsest
  • Jilly
    last year

Good decision, thanks for the update. It brings interest to the room.

Floors, styles, etc, can be changed as years go by, but drastically changing natural masonry — to chase a fad — is forever.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

room looks nice. if you like it, that's all that matters.

I personally think the flooring and fireplace fight each other.

I think if the stone (since you've already done the flooring) would look better lighter and muted w/a mortar wash.

I did the bottom part in this photoshop

This one is even thicker, which I really like.