SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arlakin24

Options for wood window casings and wood doors

Abbey
5 years ago

My husband and I are slowly updating our custom-built, midwest ranch home that was built in 1987. The majority of the materials used in our home are great quality but not necessarily the color or style we would have chosen. All of the windows in our home are Pella casement windows with the same red/orange finished wood casings (I think this is the correct term). We also have wooden doors that are a similar color throughout the home. I have included pictures for reference. All of the wood is in great condition and appear to be good quality.

My issue is that I really dislike the red/orange tone of the wood. We have already painted the wood trim white as it was not anything special and we plan to replace it later. I love the light and bright look of white trim but I really do not want to paint the doors or windows. I am mostly concerned with the windows as the doors seem like the would be relatively simple to take down and refinish. At first I thought the trim around the windows could be taken off to refinish but upon further inspection it appears that everything is one piece. If this is the case, wouldn't working on the windows in the vertical position along with the groves in the wood make them extremely difficult to refinish? What are my options for updating the color to something more neutral/brown?

Are there any products out there that would help to tone down the redness? Or is this a job that will require sanding down to the bare wood and refinishing from there? I know its wishful thinking but I am hoping there is some kind of greenish toner out there to neutralize the red that would be easy to apply? A girl can dream right?? I have read about gel stains and feel they might work on the doors but I would really prefer for the doors and windows to match. Further, do you think this is a project my husband and I could tackle or does it appear to require professional assistance?? Again, wishful thinking but the best possible solution would be one that we (along with our dads' help) could do ourselves as there is no room in the budget right now.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (11)