SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blake5982

Wood Window and Door Options

blake5982
7 years ago

We are renovating the exterior of our house in North Carolina and replacing ~80% of existing windows and doors with "new construction". Our package consists of 4 sliding doors (including 1 12ft 4 panel), 1 in-swing door, 19 direct set, and 11 casements (likely push-out). 12 of the direct sets are on a 25 foot high lakeside wall that gets a lot of sun and weather abuse. We also have a fair amount of tempered glass required. We don't plan to do any double hungs.

Following the advice on this forum, I've researched, visited showrooms, and gotten quotes from a wide spectrum - Windsor, Pella, Weather Shield, Anderson/Eagle, Loewen, Marvin, Sierra Pacific/Hurd, and Kolbe. We are leaning toward a aluminum clad wood window for aesthetics and options (including colors). I'm thinking 2605 finish, especially for the lake wall. Our quotes ranged from $30k to $60k.

I have eliminated Windsor and Pella (quality concerns), Loewen (price), and Marvin Integrity (options, colors).

I'm left with Weather Shield Premium, Anderson E-Series, Marvin Ultimate, Sierra Pacific/Hurd, and Kolbe Ultra. My builder is partial to Anderson or Marvin because he has the most experience with them. I've also heard at these price ranges, everyone makes a decent window as long as its installed properly.

WS Premium - Cheapest option left. 25-30% less than top guys. I see a lot of WS abuse on these forums, but to my (admittedly untrained) eye, the Premium Series looks pretty good in the showroom and has all the options and colors big boys do, including 2605 standard.

Anderson E-Series - Nice window, but the upcharge to get to 2605 finish puts their price within striking distance of Marvin, which to my eye is a superior window...so why go with Anderson?

Sierra Pacific/H3: This quote was a blend of H3 for window units and SP clad for doors and was 2nd lowest to WS Premium. Rep throught H3 was a great economical option considering all the direct sets. I have no experience with SP, other than the fear that on the East Coast I am just getting a rebranded Hurd window (which do not have many favorable reviews).

Marvin Ultimate - Nothing bad to say, other than the price.

Kolbe - Seems to be every bit as good as Marvin, but slightly less costly. I've read about some rotting on the bottom of their casement units (including an apparently failed class action suit), should this be a concern? the difference is real money...and every project has a budget.

Our build is so heavy on sliding doors, direct sets, and casements, I was wondering if any of the brands above had a specific advantage in those styles?

Any specific experience with WS Premium or H3/Sierra Pacific...the discount is significant?

Any concerns going with Kolbe over Marvin given the somewhat recent rot issues, especially on casements?

Comments (20)