SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biondanonima

Crumbling brick chimney - advice needed!

Our 120-year old, three story home has a large central brick chimney that originates in the basement. Our boiler vents through it on one side (with a liner), and the other side is meant to vent a (now non-functional) central fireplace. The stack in the basement is in BAD shape. There is a large hole on one side, and the mortar is nearly gone in many other places.

The corners in the basement are intact and the side with the hole is also the side with the fireplace arch, so presumably the arch is carrying some of the weight that would normally be directly over the hole. The parts of the stack that are visible elsewhere are also in need of repointing, but not nearly as bad as the basement. However, the stack is completely enclosed on the second floor and mostly enclosed on the first floor (other than the fireplace). It is exposed in the attic and shows no signs of sagging or cracking there, but there is visible water damage (not recent) and it needs repointing. The outdoor part on the roof is leaning and needs a proper cap. Here is a photo of what's visible in the foyer (this was a realtor photo from before we moved in, two years ago):

Anyway, we had several masons come out to look at it last week, and three of them simply said sure, no problem, we'll rebuild the stack and repoint everything we can see. However, one of them, who was actually a general contractor, was very alarmed by the condition and was unsure it was safe to try to rebuild/repoint. He referred me to a structural engineer, who said that if it were his house, he would just remove it. He said it might be possible to carefully rebuild the base but that since he couldn't see much of the stack, he would have no way of knowing if that would actually stabilize the structure. Since then we had another contractor look at it, who basically said the same thing - removal is the best option.

I would really appreciate some advice from folks who don't have a financial stake in the game. We love the character of our old home and would really like to save the chimney if at all possible. I have a call into a company that specializes in chimney repair and restoration only, but I'm hoping to gather as much information as I can before I meet with them. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Comments (19)