SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimmyhutch

old brick chimney with decorative anchor bolt plates?

jimmyhutch
16 years ago

Hey, am I glad I found this great forum! I just finished perusing the post on restored craftsman fireplaces, and you folks have excellent skill!

Okay: I'm posting for some info on two things - the first is sealing old chimney brick, and the second is a source for old decorative brick anchor bolt plates, like the star and diamond ones (or any other shape, quite frankly) like are described in this thread on the old house forum.

I'm not a stranger to restoration, nor am I a pro; my dad taught me everything I know, and I just enjoy the heck out of the work. I find a great deal of peace in it. The finished product gives me a great sense of accomplishment.

My wife and I just bought a house built in 1911 in Oklahoma City, OK - it has been "restored" by an interior designer who did a lot of remodeling work (refinishing original wood floors, painting, new fixtures, new central air, some new electrical and plumbing, added a new roof on top of shake). One thing that he opened up but paid no attention to was the tall chimney running the height of the house. It's 96 year old red brick - I don't know the composition or type, unfortunately, but it crumbles a little and leaves lots of dust when touched. It doesn't crumble to the point where large chunks come off, but it does powder a bit.

Here's some images:

Image 1

Image 2

I'd love some advice on a product that would seal the powder/crumblings in to the brick and give it a nice shine. My first instinct would be some sort of polycrylic or urethane product - am I far off with this? Quikrete, UGL, and Behr all make some type of semigloss masonry sealer, which I am considering. Have any of you had luck with this type of project?

The second part of this post regards the picture with the black circle about 3/4 the way up the chimney; the renovator filled the heating holes on this chimney with Great Stuff and painted it black - terrible! My idea for this comes from the forum post regarding the decorative Star Anchor bolts... I would love to get three of the decorative anchor plates and mount them over the holes as an architectural embellishment. This would not be in any sense a structural use - is there anywhere that you folks know about that sells either new or old plates like this? I think they'd look awesome to cover up the holes, which are about 8 to 10 inches in diameter.

Any help on either of these things would rock, and I look forward to contributing to this forum!

Jim

Comments (4)