SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
holly_stockley

Decorating a new home around a Swedish Tile stove

Holly Stockley
6 years ago

The general advice seems to be to build your rooms around the thing that has the most limited choices, and around things that you love.

Toward that end, my husband and I are building a new home. We've gotten our little hands on an antique Swedish Tile stove. In its last incarnation, it looked like this:

It is currently disassembled, and has an extra course of tiles for the round section, so it will be quite a bit taller. Correctly installed, you won't see the bricks. (more like this:

The gentleman installing it is busy cleaning it up right now, and sent me a photo today of the top finial, cleaned:

The basic floorplan looks something like this:

This is a concept sketch, things have been tweaked, but this is a basic idea, with some furniture sketched in for scale. The stove itself will actually sit back, flush with the wall. But it's 9-1/2' tall, and about 32" wide.

The house is a Swedish farmhouse. White painted trim, wood floors. But - colors? I'm thinking of pulling the robin's egg blue from the stove for the walls. The living area will be vaulted, East to West, with a niche to accommodate the stove. There is a door next to it out to the screen porch.

A new couch and chairs will be in the cards for this, eventually. But I'm a little lost as to how to arrange furniture and where to hang a tv (there will be no separate media room) The dining table is a walnut trestle. It currently has matching benches, but one or both might go in favor of painted chairs.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Comments (63)