SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ktownskier

Deciding which bathroom gets what....

Dan
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Next up, is remodeling the bathrooms. They are currently functional, but that is all I can say about them. The main bathroom is 5'x13' and is your usual layout of a vanity, toilet and tub/shower combo unit.

The master bath is 5' wide by 6' deep. with the tub/shower unit along the 5' wall, the toilet and sink along the rest of the other wall. The unusual feature about the MBR is that there is a step down from the vanity to the tub/shower and toilet. Quirky but weird.

The other bathroom is one that I will be installing in our basement. It will be the typical 3 piece unit, Toilet, shower, vanity but, I will be using a macerating system as I don't want to dig up the floor.

Yes, I will be doing as much work myself as possible. And, yes, Permits will be pulled.

Shluter Ditra/Kerdi or similar will be used in all shower/tub applications. Mold resistant drywall in all other areas, along with mold resistant joint compound, assuming they make such a thing. I hate mold and I feel that the more waterproofing the better.

I will also be switching from traditional copper to a pex modified home run system. (A main manifold running a 3/4" run to a sub manifold at each point of use)

Tiling will be done by me as well. I have done tiling as a side job whenever I needed money and I am confident I can handle it.

What I need help with is deciding which of the 3 bathrooms get a tub as well as a shower. I have always wanted a curbless walk in shower with glass barn doors. I am thinking that the master bath gets this and the main bath gets the alcove tub with tile surround. The other bath gets a larger shower, no tub.

Any thoughts?

I will be adding photos later today.

Thanks, Dan

PS, I live in the mountains of Colorado at about 7500 feet.

Comments (9)