SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mbeck29

Electrical / Wiring

MDB
5 years ago

My husband and I are building a new custom home and our meeting for the electrical planning is next week. I'm brainstorming where we want to place switches, have outlets, etc.

Question 1: our plans already allot the standard number of outlets per code (Ohio) - are we allowed to change those outlets to different locations (keep the same number of outlets but shuffle them around), or do we have to leave the 'code' outlets alone by location and only add new ones? For example, one wall in the master bedroom specifies two outlets (17' long wall), but I only want one on that wall, and two instead on the adjoining wall (14'2" long) - can I 'delete' one outlet from the longer wall and re-allocate it to the shorter wall, or must there be two on that longer wall per code?

I hope that makes sense.

Question 2: And does anyone know roughly how much we will be charged per extra outlet? I've asked our builder and he said the electrician will need to quote that, and we don't meet with him until decision-making day! I'd like to know ahead of time, even if roughly estimated, if possible, so I know how far off the rails I might be going with all these extra outlets!

Comments (17)