SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cwyn_gw

electrical wires running behind shower wall

cwyn
13 years ago

We are renovating our bathroom,and in the process replacing the tub with a tiled shower with a lead pan at the bottom. I've noticed that there are a ton of electrical wires running through the bathroom which connect the electricity from the main box to the master BR and other parts of the apartment. They are all in metal-color corrugated tubes, which one of the contractors assured me are waterproof. Now they are going to put them behind the drywall that they are framing to make one of the shower walls. Then something else that is supposed to be waterproof goes on those framed walls (waterboard or wetboard, or something with a name like that?), and then the tile goes on top.

I've been assured by the contractors that this is safe because the tubes holding the wires are waterproof, and the wetboard (or whatever it is called) is waterproof, and the tile installation is waterproof, but I'm nervous about the idea of there being a ton of live electrical wires right next to all that water (what if one of these "waterproof" barriers springs a leak?). I've started to have nightmares of me or my husband getting electrocuted in the shower...

Can anyone tell me if I am worrying needlessly? Are my contractors correct in what they are telling me? Even if they are accurate in what they are telling me, is it reasonable to trust that they are doing all the steps correctly? And if the contractors are wrong, what can I have them do to ensure that this installation is completely safe?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments (8)