SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joseph_corlett

Temporarily Unhappy Customer

I had to remove the false drawer front and the backing stretcher on a frameless cabinet to allow a new sink to be installed. When I popped off the drawer front, it was held in place with double sided tape which I found unusual. I got the sink and stretcher installed and the double sided tape held the drawer in place until it didn’t. The homeowner noticed and offered more double sided tape.

The cabinets appeared to be medium density fiberboard that had the original foil stripped off and had been hand painted gloss black. The drip marks at the island were an obvious indicator, like the double sided tape, that this was a do-it-yourself job. When the drawer front jumped off again even after using more of the homeowner-provided double sided tape, I decided to use two small-headed finish screws to attach the drawer front. Unfortunately, the homeowner saw the holes before they were filled and repainted and flipped. He couldn’t believe that I would drill his hand painted MDF drawer without asking. I told him the thought of asking never entered my mind. It would have been like asking if I should measure with my red tape or the chrome one. This goes to the heart of my remodeling philosophy which is that homeowners get what, where, when, and why; I keep how and who. He’s not keeping his end of the deal; he’s trying to tell me how to do my job.

I filled and sanded the holes and found the touch up paint in a cabinet in his garage. He flipped again. How could I look through his garage cabinet without asking? Are you kidding me? Buddy, please, it isn’t like I went into your bedroom to rifle your wife’s lingerie drawer. I’m trying to make you happy here. I’m thinking maybe he’s trying to start trouble at the end of the job to get a discount. With several strokes of paint applied with a paper towel, the screw holes disappeared, just like I knew they would. He must have agreed, because he paid in full.

So Houzzers, was I out of line here? If so, how so?

Comments (46)