SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamabear777

Should I get a mobile home temporarily while building?

MamaBear777
10 years ago

We currently live in a large, nice home in a very nice subdivision in the suburbs but I'm looking to drastically change our lives. I really want to stay home with my 3 kiddos.

We have 5 wooded acres that are beautiful that are being GIVEN to us by my in-laws! Amazing! (We did have the land test for the septic and it was just fine.) When we sell our current house I'm guessing we will come away with somewhere in the ballpark of $50,000 after we pay the realtor's fees and such. The idea of using that money to get a house up on the FREE land and being able to live mortgage free intrigues me!

My husband and I are very handy and really enjoy doing house projects. We've done tons of things like laying tongue & grove wood floors and then finishing them, custom tile work in different parts of the house, replacing the trim throughout the house, lots of outdoor projects, etc.

We have enough wood to frame an entire house just sitting there that would be completely FREE. When we've done other projects over the last 12 years we have always gotten lucky and found awesome clearance deals and such. We have good luck when it comes to finding bargains! I'm a super savvy shopper. :)

We are excited about the doing a lot of the labor (especially the interior stuff). We would like to have about 1800 -2000 sq feet two story 4 bedroom home with a full basement for storage. I'm afraid it will take a long time and I'm estimating that at $100/sq ft it would be $200,000 to build what we want and I wouldn't be able to stay home if we had that much of a mortgage. It's not that much less than what our mortgage is now to make enough of a difference. ($100/sq ft is arbitrary based on online research- I'd love to make it less than that by doing alot of work myself but I don't want to be unrealistic.)

I'm considering trying to get a used mobile home moved to the property to live in for maybe 3-5 years and work on building the house over that time and pay as we go but it looks like it will be about $35,000 for a used (single wide) mobile home that really isn't even big enough for us. We have 3 kids and my husband needs an office room to work from. So a 3 bedroom mobile home would probably turn into the 1 year old staying in the master with us, the 3 and 5 year old sharing a room and then the 3rd bedroom being my husbands office. Can I stand that for 5 years? I could for a year, maybe 2, but I don't think 5! And would it have been smarter to just put that $35,000 we paid for the mobile home toward the final home. The mobile home sounds perfect for getting us out of our large mortgage fast so I can quit working but it doesn't seem like it makes sense in the big picture.

Has anybody been in this situation before? What would you do? Mobile home or just put that money toward the big goal? Any advice on how to juggle all of this?

*I was thinking that the mobile home could become my husbands office after the 3-5 years. It's more than what he would need space wise but I just know you don't get much for mobile homes used so it would be a way to use it.

Comments (18)