SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_adams3049647

Need help IDing my old rose picture.

Lisa Adams
5 years ago

I’m embarrassed to admit that I came across a photo in my iPhone that has me totally confused. I have a ‘Boule de Neige‘ rose planted in a half barrel in my patio. This is my “problem“ rose. It either came with Midge, or was infected shortly after I received it . I have been whining about never having seen a single bloom since I’ve had it. Today, I was going through my phone, deleting pictures, when I came across the picture I’m going to post below. It clearly shows the very barrel my ‘Boule de Neige’ is currently planted in. In the photo, it sure looks like the rose shown is growing from that barrel. The part that has me thoroughly flummoxed is the BLOOMS! All those white blooms and I’ve been complaining that I’ve never seen a single bud or bloom on my ‘Boule de Neige‘?!?! I do indeed have short term memory problems due to my MS, but not normally like this! I forget details, not entire “occasions“. This would have been a big deal for me, as I’ve been dying to see this beautiful rose “in real life” for years. I’m wondering if perhaps I placed another potted white rose in front to take a picture? That’s the only other explanation I can think of. If this is ‘Boule de Neige‘ in bloom, it tells me two things. I‘d know which rose/vendor sent me Midge without a doubt. (I had my suspicions, but couldn’t be 100% sure, because two potted roses from different vendors had it, and they were near each other on the patio. Second, my memory problems are worse than I thought. I have ZERO recollection of seeing this rose bloom, ever. The thought is disturbing to me, but it is what it is.

Can anyone tell me if this rose is ‘Boule de Neige‘? If not, can anyone tell me what else it might be? TIA, Lisa

Comments (53)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

Could this be an Austin rose, Lisa? Somehow it just doesn't look like an old rose in spite of the old-fashioned mature blooms. The half-open bloom reminds me of a floribunda, as do the leaves.

Lisa Adams thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

I see stems of a rose in the left upper corner of your photo coming from the barrel for sure Lisa. The white rose blooming could be coming from the right from either a pot behind or on the right side and not the barrel. You could have put something else near the barrel because you were annoyed the barrel rose wouldn't bloom.

Lisa Adams thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Related Discussions

old type rose vine ID needed

Q

Comments (24)
    Connie (and all others) I can agree with you in all respects except one. I have had this rose for over 30 years, and the oldtimer I got a cutting from had it many years before that. Probably more than 30 years. If I remember correctly, he said he got his cutting from a very old home in the country in SE Louisiana. My pass time is mounting and growing orchids, bromiliads and elkhorn on cypress driftwood. Before hurricane Katrina I had hundreds and lost most. Now I have recovered to nearly 100. This rose (rambler?) that I have discussed here is my only rose so I guess that makes puts me in pre-K knowledge wise. All the help and suggestions have been appreciated. I never knew there we so many roses in my class, that is, thornless, cluster bloom, 7 leaf, pink, etc. I have a picture from about 10 years ago from my backyard in New Orleans, and the rose covers the fence, about 40 feet across, and by the time of Katrina it was near 60 feet across. The fence was blown over, so quite a pruning had to be done. With age, it grows to quite a size. I now live on the water in coastal Mississippi. The only reason I continued to start cuttings and keep a rose is because it is thornless. If I understood what I read about 'peggy martin' the rambler owned by that person had no prior name, so it was named after her in 1989? If that is correct, then I guess I could have the same one. What are your thought on this?
    ...See More

Something eating my roses, picture for ID please Help

Q

Comments (2)
    Rose slugs, aka sawfly larva...gross! Pick 'em off and squish 'em, or pitch them way far away into the yard. Keep an eagle eye out for more, and check the undersides of your leaves, too. They can be quite small. My husband and I would tag-team the roses...he would spot, I would squish. Eventually we got them all, or most of them. Now that it is hot and rainy we are dealing with a host of other tiny critters that move infintely faster than the rose slugs. *sigh* Just can't WAIT for the Jap Beetles to show up! :o/
    ...See More

need help with my 65 year old rose.

Q

Comments (11)
    That knobby dead looking part is very important. It isn't dead at all. That is where your rose variety has been grafted to a different rose that is used for root stock. The root stock rose is a very vigorous grower so it will encourage your rose to grow bigger faster. If something happens to that grafted area you can lose the grafted variety and the root stock will grow instead. BUT, sometimes the roots stock will send up it's own shoots even though the grafted variety is still growing. If your shoots are coming up from the top of the graft area then they should be your rose. If they are coming up from below that graft then they are probably root stock. If they are root stock you need to remove them asap. If left to grow they will eventually kill the grafted rose and take over. Do not just cut them off at the soil line. That only encourages more growth. You have to dig down to where they are coming up from the roots and RIP them away. You want to actually damage the area a little so they won't grow back again.
    ...See More

Please help ID my 90 yr old Grammys rose

Q

Comments (2)
    Please post the photo you have. There are many red climbing or rambling roses that it could be.
    ...See More
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That’s a beautiful picture, Jeri! I’m as confused as ever, though! I can’t think of another rose that this could be. I really don’t lose track of roses, not that I’m AWARE OF, anyway. LOL. The blooms don’t quite match Jeri’s, but mine isn’t a close up shot. I can take a picture of BdN’s foliage today, for comparison. I feel like I’d totally remember those red buds opening to pure white blooms, but let’s face it, I remember nothing about this rose blooming. It’s so strange! Here’s the foliage today.

Sorry, the sun is so bright it’s difficult to get a good picture. I can try again later, if necessary. Lisa

• jacqueline9CA
    5 years ago

The rose with the white blooms does not appear to be growing in that barrel. I clicked on the photo to enlarge it, and you can see part of a dark wood squarish planter right below the rose with the white blooms - I think it is growing in that, not in the barrel.

Jackie

Lisa Adams thanked jacqueline9CA
  • jacqueline9CA
    5 years ago

I do see the rose canes coming up from the barrel in the upper left corner, but those could belong to whatever rose it is that is refusing to bloom, and the white blooms near there could just be flopping over from the one in front.

Above is a cropped close up pic of the part of the planter below the white rose.

Jackie

Lisa Adams thanked jacqueline9CA
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That’s exactly what I was thinking, Sheila. But I just took a little walk around the front and back to look at every rose I have. I can’t find one that could be the one in the picture. ‘Winchester Cathedral’ is gone now, but was in the ground some distance away for several years before I purchased ‘Boule de Neige’. ‘Joan Fontaine’ has been far away for a long time. ‘Penny Lane’ has been in the ground for years. ‘Bubble Bath’ was already planted. ‘White Pet’ was too young, as was ‘Honeymoon’. I don’t know what else it could be! I’m so confused. LOL Lisa

5 years ago

That is curious Lisa that you don't have an idea what the blooming plant could be.

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh Jackie, BLESS YOUR HEART!!! You’re absolutely right! I can see the edge of the other container now that you’ve cropped the picture and I got out my laptop to see it on a larger screen. I hardly care what rose it is in the picture, as long as it’s NOT ‘Boule de Neige’! I was more concerned about losing my mind than anything else. Thank you so much. You guys brought me a great big sigh of relief! Lisa

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I’m going to ask Sarah to remind me which roses I gave her. Maybe it’s one I gave to Sarah. That would further explain things. Lisa

5 years ago

Lisa, I can clearly see that the leaves from BdN that you just posted are very different from those of the white rose in the first picture. One looks modern and the other clearly does not. You may have hit on the answer, that this is a rose you gave to Sarah. Nothing wrong with your mind, I'm sure.

Lisa Adams thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I wonder if it could be something like ‘Mrs. William G. Koning’ or ‘Clotilde Soupert’? The photo was dated late July of 2017, so those two roses bleach out to white if I have them in full sun. Lisa

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

I'm with jackie. there's definitely another pot in the picture. I wouldn't worry about your mind too much. I consider myself to have a very good memory, but reread posts here complaining I'd yet to see Bubble Bath only to find pics of her blooms soon after I go her. I think this could be pointing out a larger "problem"... more roses than 'little gray cells'! LOL! : ))

Lisa Adams thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, Ingrid! Although I was really curious about wether or not my ‘Boule de Neige’ had ever bloomed, or not, my biggest worry was “am I totally losing it?” Lisa

• jerijen
    5 years ago

I agree. There are two distinct types of leaves in there. But I don't THINK the rose in the photo is Clothilde Soupert.

5 years ago

I agree, Jeri, not Clothilde. Looks too modern and not cupped enough.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    5 years ago

I wish I had taken more pics of my Boule de Neige, but I seem to get sick (like pneumonia) about the time it does its big spring bloom, so even I don't get to enjoy it as much as I'd like. However, here are a couple pics from spring 2016--the only ones I have, unfortunately.

They confirm for me my memory that the blooms are completely white--white as a snowball ("boule de neige") even though the buds are wonderfully marked with red. I don't remember any blooms that had a slight pinkish hue.

It's way to the back of my property, so I usually view it from a distance, but like I said, I have the darnedest habit of getting sick about the time it blooms. Had a really heavy bloom this year, as I observed from a distance. It must be about 4 or 5 years old now. As a bush, has a decided sideways sprawl to it. So far it has only bloomed once a season--in late spring/early summer.

Does that help? What I'm saying is your first pic doesn't quite look like Boule de Neige to me.

Kate

Lisa Adams thanked dublinbay z6 (KS)
  • mcnastarana
    5 years ago

I think your white rose looks like it could be "Winchester Cathedral" in opening stages. The petals look a bit too large to be BdN or Clotilde.

Lisa Adams thanked mcnastarana
  • portlandmysteryrose
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Lisa, it's always a great relief to receive verification that one hasn't lost one's mind! :-) Jackie, if I need an affirmation, may I call on your keen eye to boost my sanity, too? Lisa, as McNastarana noted, the rose in your photo also looks a lot like Winchester Cathedral to me. Did you perhaps gift Sarah your WC? Carol

Lisa Adams thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Those pictures of Boule de Neige are divine! That’s exactly why I was desperate to acquire this rose. The pictures reaffirm that I must have placed another potted rose in front of my non-blooming Boule de Neige. I just cannot figure out what it could be! My Winchester Cathedral was in the ground years before I even purchased Boule de Neige, so the rose in my picture can’t be WC. I forgot to ask Sarah if I had given her a white/blush rose. I’m going to her place this weekend, and I’ll be sure to take a good look at everything I’ve given her. We’re going to Burlington Roses on Saturday, btw! Lisa

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

And meeting briefly with Kim Rupert (Roseseek) !! Pretty exciting weekend, huh? :). Lisa

• portlandmysteryrose
    5 years ago

Oh, that's double the fun, Lisa! I am soooo jealous. I'd love to meet both Kim and Burling in person, and of course I'd go crazy at Burlington Nursery!! I hope you and Sarah have a grand time. :-) Carol

5 years ago

That's so thrilling Lisa! I remember you were going to a wedding near her place last year but couldn't make it then. Thrill of a lifetime and to meet Kim Rupert on top of it! Is Sarah going to be getting more roses? I don't think I could go to Burling and not buy one thing. I have so many That I Want from her as it stands, but I think I'll wait till next year. :-(

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I think(hope) Sarah will be buying some roses from Burlington. I know I shouldn’t for SO many reasons, but I can hardly ask Burlington for an appointment and then not buy anything! It seems almost rude, or that’s what I’m telling myself! I’ve been agonizing over Burlington’s list for weeks and weeks, now. I’m having such a hard time choosing one or two. I’m trying to avoid the huge ones and the pink ones. I already have SO many pinks. I’m thinking purple! Lisa

5 years ago

Now you must start a whole new conversation on your on your possibilities! Do you have Sweet Chariot?

• portlandmysteryrose
    5 years ago

Does Burling have Kim Rupert's (lavender-purple) Lauren? I think you'd really like that one, and I'll bet it would be great in your climate! Or his Purple Buttons? It's like a cross between burgundy and Concord grape. :-) Carol

• maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10
    5 years ago

I'm with Carol - sooo.. jealous! Have a wonderful time, pictures if you can, and can't wait to hear about it. Loved Purple Buttons when I had it but was on multiflora rootstock and didn't love me back. Also there is Ralph Moore's Sweet Chariot , fragrant and basically a polyantha though classified as a miniature. As I recall she used to make lovely weeping trees from it.

Geez, now I want all three - Purple Buttons, Lauren, and a Sweet Chariot tree. I'm hopeless and helpless!

Edited: oops, think I didn't have PB, but Too Cute. Lovely polyantha rose with constant bloom but it's more of that ight pink you have so much of.

Lisa Adams thanked maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10
  • roseseek
    5 years ago

How neat! Thank you! I'm excited to meet you and Sarah, too, Lisa!

Lisa Adams thanked roseseek
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

She doesn’t list any of those three roses, but I have written them down to ask about them. Maybe she has some larger size roses not listed for shipping that are available for pick up.

Kim, we’re looking forward to it. I’ll email you today, but basically we will leave the meeting place up to you. Whatever is most convenient for you, is what we’ll do. Lisa

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

HaHa, Mary I already grow ‘Too Cute’. I told you I was a hopeless pink lover:) I’m in love with Lauren! Let’s hope she has her tucked away somewhere.

Reading about everyone’s experience with ‘Boule de Neige’ really has me thinking about SPing this rose. If one flush per year is common in a cold climate, and Jeri got one spray in 6 years, I’m questioning keeping this rose. I’m not one to get rid of a rose too quickly, but if it’s never going to bloom, I’m with Jeri. What’s the point? Lisa

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    5 years ago

As of this past year, Burling had Purple Buttons and Lynnie but no Lauren. I've suggested (OK to be honest nagged) that she offer Lauren, but so far I haven't seen that rise to her offerings. I'm crushed that Annie Laurie McDowell won't survive our winters so I'm really setting my heart on Lauren. Lynnie does fine, so Lauren should too if our vendors can offer her.

I'm no help on the photo ID Lisa but it's a lovely rose!

Cynthia

Lisa Adams thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hmm. I’ve fallen in love with Lauren, but not even Purple Buttons, Lynnie, or Sweet Chariot are on the list she recently sent me. I have them written down, so I’ll ask her when I’m there.

I checked with Sarah, and the only rose I gave her of that color was Earth Angel. I never had Earth Angel in one of those brown square pots, so it wasn’t Earth Angel. It’s so odd for me to to not recognize it. I guess someday I’ll figure it out. I really wish my ‘Boule de Neige’ would bloom. These pictures are so beautiful! Lisa

• roseseek
    5 years ago

Cynthia, I don't think you should have any hardiness issues with Lauren or Little Butterfly. When Dani Haviland operated Chill Out! Roses in Anchorage, she grew Lauren and said she had no issues keeping it alive and flowering there. Mike Lowe, who had Lowe's Own Root Roses in Nashua, NH, grew Lynnie and Little Butterfly there without winter cover and he reported they were both cane hardy for him. Ashdown reported during one particularly severe winter event, they had four inch pots of Lynnie and Little Butterfly on a exposed table when temps dropped to nine degrees several nights in a row and they experienced no freeze damage on any of them. Thankfully, severe cold hardiness isn't something I can test for here. I'm glad these have performed that wall where that is an issue.

5 years ago

Does anyone have a likely cold hardy rating for Annie Laurie McDowell?

• roseseek
    5 years ago

The gardens on HMF listing Annie Laurie McDowell include StrawChicago Zone 5a; Catsrose, Virginia, 6b; Hainaut, Belgium; Mike Fitts Roses, Ohio, 5b; Rosamelli's garden, North Rhine-Westphalia Germany, USDA Zone: 8a; Rosaplant Collection, Poland; Tuin van de Hemelse Geuren, Drenthe, Netherlands; Vilebranch Bramble; Eemsmond, The Netherlands, USDA Zone: 8b (Aurelija who used to be here on GW and whom I see in Face Book regularly, she's fine, btw). How the rose is performing for those in Zones 5 and 6, I have no idea, but they can be contacted through HMF via their messenger or by posting to the member's page there. It's interesting how the European zones correspond to only a zone lower than what I live in here on the California Central Coast.

5 years ago

I'm guessing z 7 or z8 because I have two and the one in the colder spot here struggles a bit to get going although I think it is making it. It is one foot tall and it's twin is over 4 feet in the warmer courtyard area. I think this is their third summer from bands from Burling.

• roseseek
    5 years ago

Thank you, Sheila. And, those are own root, which is definitely a slower going plant.

5 years ago

Thank you! I feel bad as I hadn't meant for anyone to make a list! I'll ask Straw as I'm sure she'll give me the full story in her zone etc. : )) I try to contact some of the HMF sources, but so few have comments turned on. : (( I lived in Belgium and can attest the climate is nothing like CA's, but it rarely freezes, so I'm not surprised at the zone. Someone is recently posting from Bavaria and they are apparently Z8!!!

• roseseek
    5 years ago

Thanks, but don't feel bad! I was curious after reading your question and figured that might help answer it. What surprised me was how "warm" the European zones were. I would have thought they were lower than they seem to be.

• portlandmysteryrose
    5 years ago

I think Marianese mentioned that even Sweden has been much warmer than it used to be. The snow also hasn't been the (old) norm. Carol

• roseseek
    5 years ago

That really is scary...

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    5 years ago

Thanks for the feedback on Lauren Kim - it's great to hear that she'll likely be as hardy as Lynnie when I can get her. Too bad Cool Roses isn't doing business these days. Anchorage is surprisingly a zone or two warmer than us here, but NH is considerably colder so it's good to hear these roses managed those temperatures just fine.

Vaporvac, FWIW I've tried Annie Laurie McDowell now three times in increasingly warm spots in the yard and I've been unsuccessful at overwintering her every time. These were own root roses in the best of shape from excellent sources, so it was definitely the winters here. I have one more spot left behind Tea Row that's my ultra-protected spot where I actually overwintered Little Grey Pearl as well as my teas this year (woo hoo) so I plan to give ALM one more try. I've put Paul's rose Mel's Heritage there this spring and that's another test case rose since its tea heritage makes it pretty tender.

My estimate of the hardiness of ALM is protected zone 6 at best but mostly zone 7 and above. ALM is a descendant of Renae as I understand it from Kim, and Renae didn't survive the winter at all in the same protected spot behind Tea Row last winter (and it wasn't a harsh winter). I don't know if Strawberry pulls hers into a garage or otherwise protects hers, but that would be the exception rather than the rule I'm afraid for ALM. Still, if you have a warm spot I'd recommend giving her a try. She's one of my sincere regrets of roses I'd love to grow and she's stunning when happy.

Cynthia

5 years ago

Thanks for the info! Also I noticed you mentioned cool Rose wasn't doing business but they actually are in Florida. I think it was chill out roses that's no longer in business. I just didn't want anyone thinking cool roses was no longer open.

• cedemas
    5 years ago

Thanks for the clarification vaporvac. I nearly had a heart attack at the thought of Geoff no longer in business.

5 years ago

Anchorage can be zone 3-4 but lower in some spots. I was z 3 in Eagle River. It also has a heat index at 0. It never warms up.

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I guess it’s ok to mention this, since it’s officially going to happen, and we’re talking about ALMD, here. The whole reason I’m currently in Bakersfield, is to meet Kim, and receive his generous gift. We had talked about this long ago, and I honestly thought he’d forgotten all about it. Low and behold, about a month ago, Kim emailed me that he had an ALMD budded on ‘Pink Clouds’ for me! He said he’d be in Bakersfield on June 30th, and could bring it if I was able to meet him there. I was so surprised and thrilled! I had already received one from Ingrid, ownroot and now my “unicorn rose” is coming again, budded! I’m so excited about the rose, and finally meeting Kim in person. That's what I’m doing in Bakersfield!

Here’s a picture of the bloom and buds I removed from my ALMD, yesterday before I left. I find it’s a little easier for me to remove the buds if I take a picture and tell myself I’ll “share” them here. There’s one bloom, and look at that gorgeous, clean foliage!

I did take a second picture of the entire plant. I just now looked at the photo for the first time, and the picture is very dark, because she’s in shade. I wanted Ingrid to see it, and give her opinion as to how much she’s grown during her time with me,(about 4 months). I’m going to go back into my photos and try to lighten the picture by editing it. If it shows the plant better, I’ll return and post the picture in my next comment. I think she’s growing:). I just love this rose! Lisa

• maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10
    5 years ago

I'm so excited for you. I was wondering if ALM was to be included in the get together when he mentioned something he was taking to you. It will be interesting to compare how budded vs own root grow for you. Tell Mel's Heritage he may need to share his fence! Tried to give you two Likes, one for you and one from Kim. I've done it accidentally before but today when I want to, it won't work.

Lisa Adams thanked maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10
  • portlandmysteryrose
    5 years ago

Lisa, how wonderful! I'm glad you needed an excuse to photo share. The bloom is as lovely as it is in my dreams. I've contacted Kim about ordering maiden grafted ALMs. I'm very excited!

It's so great you had an opportunity to meet Kim! He's so kind and so generous with rose connections and advice. I hope you were privy to a couple of his stories of adventures in rose breeding and adventures of life in general. Did you get a tour of his greenhouses and such with his newest rose progeny? Carol

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I added some light to my ALMD full plant photo, hoping it would show up better. It did help. I’m hoping Ingrid will see this, and be able to tell me if she thinks she’s grown much.

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• roseseek
    5 years ago

It was a delight getting to meet you and Sarah, today, Lisa! Thank you! I hope you were able to make it up to Burling's and withstand the heat. It will be fun hearing what treasures you brought home from her. Your own root ALmD looks marvelous! I don't know how large it was when you received it, but I see NOTHING wrong with how it appears now! Oh, Carol, "greenhouses"? LOL! No ma'am, I don't have greenhouses, nor even a "garden". I have a back yard pot ghetto, which literally fills the back yard. We didn't meet at home, but in a mutually accessible location to us both. After we met and made the exchange, including some "instructions" of how I suggest she take care of it until she's ready to plant it, she and Sarah went off to take the plant home, then their plan was to travel an hour north to Burlington Roses. I ended up traveling up the same route to almost the same place, to meet friends from San Jose who came south to make their antiquing route and meet for lunch and to take home the plants I had for them. It was a very long, quite warm day with a bit too much driving (about four hundred miles) but it was a good one! I hope they had as much fun as I did! Thank you!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz