SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirty_gardener

I am so stupid! (or Gardening Before Coffee After a Bad Night's Sleep)

dirtygardener
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

WARNING: Do not read while drinking liquids, as you may spit them out on your keyboard and damage it.

I swear, sometimes I feel like I need a brain transplant! I grew a scarlet wisteria (Sesbania punicea, rattlebox) from seed this year, and put it out to be the showpiece of my south-facing garden. It grew well at first, but then the leaves suddenly started drying up and falling off, and it stopped growing completely.

For those of you who don't know, this is literally an invasive weed - don't worry, I keep it in check by cutting the green seedpods off. It grows in ditches and on roadways abundantly in my home state of SC, and I just love the gorgeous flowers. I wasn't worried about it getting enough water with all the rain, and my extra watering. Plus, it is immensely drought resistant, being a weed and all that.

So this morning I dug it up and to my surprise, the roots were full of root knot nematodes. It was trying desperately to put out some little white roots to save itself, but I decided to do it one better, because I'm the smartest horticulturist in the world, right? WRONG! After I had cut all the "damaged" roots off, soaked it in peroxide water and topped it, planning to replant it in sterile soil, I realized......wait for it......

IT'S A FREAKING LEGUME! Those were not root knot nematodes! They are SUPPOSED to be there!

I still don't know what was killing it, but luckily, I have another seedling growing that volunteered where I had put a couple out into the garden, so I may yet have this beautiful plant. And maybe, if I'm very fortunate, I can get this stick to revive itself.

I should give my degree back, or drink more coffee, or get more sleep. *heavy sigh*

Comments (7)