SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmns0421

Backsplash: an alternative to white subway, to make my heart sing!

lmns grc
5 years ago

We are just about ABB in our kitchen reno. We are thinking of subway tile in a running bond pattern, and would love to find something special that will not compete with the countertop. Current options are:

- Bright white to match as closely as possible our bright white cabinet color. We’re thinking glossy with a slightly “wavy” (not perfectly flat) surface might provide interest, as long as it would not become dated or look too modern or out of place in our otherwise fairly traditional kitchen.

- White with a faint blue over-wash. We both really like the tile second from the right in the tile photo (Lori Dennis Mesa Blanco), but it only comes in hexagon (which we don’t want) or 5x12 (shown, which we think would be too big). Although the blue edge looks subtle on the single tile, I’m concerned it might create too “blocky” a look (rather than a comparatively uniform wall of color). Also wish the glaze on this particular tile was more glossy. But the color ties in very, very well with the countertop.

- “Snow white” marble. It’s pretty on its own and contains some gray to tie in with the countertop, but to my eye it doesn’t quite “go” - seems the sparkle in the marble makes the quartzite countertop look somewhat drab. And I believe others here have recommended against using different stones for countertop and backsplash.

Our kitchen has a northern exposure, and we really like the brightness of our white cabinets. We don’t want a gray backsplash - if we do a color, we’re leaning toward a very faint blue which will bring out/go with the veining in the countertop. If we could find a smaller version of the 5x12 Lori Dennis tile that would be great. But we are open to suggestions!

The ideas and information we’ve obtained from Gardenweb have been invaluable in planning and executing our project. We so appreciate the generosity of the contributors to this forum in offering their knowledge and experience. Thank you in advance for your help!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths