SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vdinli

Alternatives to Subway tile for a quiet backsplash?

vdinli
9 years ago

We are getting a light cream+gray granite with lots of movement-Sienna Bordeaux(hopefully next week!) to go with our medium tone cherry cabinets.

I am stumped on what direction to go for backsplash. I know I want to keep it quiet to let the granite be the star. But, DH just doesn't like subway tiles and their ilk. I am looking for alternatives now so that I can collect samples now and make a decision soon after the granite goes in.

Glass tile-I would have liked to do a large format glass tile but we have a really small galley-so I don't think that will work. I think some 2X8 or 3X12 could work. Any suggestions on manufacturers that are readily stocked? I would have about a week to get the tile after granite goes in.
Crackle tile-I am intrigued by this-DH doesn't mind it either as it is has a little bit of variation. How bad is the maintenance on this?
Marble-Am I crazy to consider this? I saw some quiet carrara marble samples but they were too white against the cream of the granite. We might have to go to calacatta marble to get the cream but then I worry about introducing another stone with movement and it is $$$.

What other alternatives should I consider?
Any recommendations on manufacturers?

It seems like the decision making never ends with a kitchen reno. So close to the end and my fatigued brain is not firing on all its synapses. So please help!
Thanks in advance.

Comments (18)