SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmmm12cozone5

Pictures of Love Song please

mmmm12COzone5
5 years ago

I was looking at Love Song but in researching it on here it appears folks have found it not winter hardy. But when I went to High Country Roses the owner raved about it. He said he doesn't get alot of requests to replace it. So I bought it when he promised to replace it if it died. But then looked again on here and am a bit discouraged. So does anyone have full bush pictures of theirs? Does it do well anywhere?

Thanks!

Comments (45)

• hrabbag
    5 years ago

I have Love Song and it's one of my absolute favorites. It has been in my garden since 2013 and is still going strong, For me, it doesn't get super tall (it has reached the 4 foot fence though) and it's bushy too. Tons of flowers, the clusters are so big and heavy that I have to support some of the branches. Beautiful, full, non-fragrant (to me) flowers, leaning slightly towards the pinker side of lavender during the hottest months. I will send you a few pictures of my LS when I get home tonight.

I am located in zone 6, in central WA where it's practically a desert climate. We get hot summer months and cold winters, not much rain so black spot it not really a problem for me so I cannot comment on it's resistance. This most recent winter wasn't super cold and it hardly had any canes die-back. The winter of 2017 was harsh, weeks of 0F and colder temps, and it survived that one too, but lost all the canes. Came back strong though.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked hrabbag
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks hrabbag! That is good to hear. It is also very dry here. I've only seen black spot on roses for sale. Never on a garden plant. A full die back is OK as long as the roots live. I'm planning to put in a cutting garden.

Would love to get some real world bush and flower shots, not just the glamour shots at the peak. Thanks again!

• Related Discussions

Casey, your first song in pictures?

Q

Comments (3)
    I didn't complete it because we didn't get a picture of "schnitzel with noodles"! I'll go finish it now, I have a pic of noodles but no schnitzel. LOL
    ...See More

Song in Pictures.......Finished!

Q

Comments (26)
    Lydia, you should be able to download the flash player update to your desktop, then click on it to install it. Karen, that is just wonderful!! Thanks so much. JoanMN
    ...See More

Love Song?

Q

Comments (8)
    I just looked more carefully at pics of it on hmf and I see what you mean. It has that round, shapely calyx. I've always liked that in buds, it seems so elegant to me. But this one doesn't have it. I wonder what this is then. The blooms look so much like it on all hmf pics. Well, thank you :]
    ...See More

Charles de Gaulle and Love Song

Q

Comments (20)
    Lisa, is your Poseidon own root or grafted. Mine is a grafted rose, which was planted in winter( July ) last year. It shot out 5' canes, but was very stingy with flowers. I don't think it lacked food or water as all the others in that bed were fine. Hoping it does better this year. Kate, Charles de Gaul has been and continues to be a great rose, although I do realise that our climates are dissimilar. My old fellow has been a survivor of a couple of droughts, when he was very sadly neglected, but still managed to flower, although not profusely. Now that conditions are better for the present, the flowering has returned to normal. The flowers are always lavender for me, never pinkish. By the way, mine is a grafted rose ( Dr Huey) Melodye
    ...See More
  • jc_7a_MiddleTN
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I don’t have a picture of the full bush because my bed is a wreck right now but it’s flourishing here in Z7. The first few blooms were ugly and the foliage looked weak, but I have 2 and they both rebounded over the span of about two weeks.

I like the bush because the leaves fill out all the way to the ground and it doesn’t look bare anywhere. The base is a rounded-off square (2ft across) that is growing mostly tightly straight up.

I took this yesterday actually. No filters.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked jc_7a_MiddleTN
  • BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    5 years ago

I planted my Love Song this spring, it’s been fabulous. I think it has the ideal growth habit, very bushy, full and uniform. The blooms are the size of HTs, yet they are as plentiful as floribundas. though it’s not blooming right now, you can see how bushy it is, and covered with new growth:

What inspired me to get Love Song was seeing it for myself in this N. California rose garden

mmmm12COzone5 thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone for these gorgeous photos. It looks like I will put it in after all as it appears to have a good chance of surviving here in Denver.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    5 years ago

Havent planted my Love Song yet......I am in east Texas and it gets very hot here. I have some new beds - they are in full, most of day sun. I am wondering if that would be too hot for it? Anyone grow this in full hot sun?

Thanks.....

Judith

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    5 years ago

I was growing it in a spot where it got almost all day sun, but especially the very HOT late afternoon sun that is so hard on so may plants in this part of Kansas (practically in Oklahoma). It did get singed a bit but not a lot as long as I watered it regularly--given where it was located, that meant watering often.

Last summer I was sick and couldn't tend to my garden very well--lost a couple roses to that excessive late summer heat which is so unrelenting. But Love Song survived, though it didn't look overly happy. I decided it might be happier with a bit of late afternoon shade--which would be closer to the back door where I could see it and enjoy it more often. Just moved it a week or so ago and it is already pumping out the new growth, with one big bud at the top. Can't wait for it too open!

Now about surviving the winter--in my zone 6, we get a lot of late spring freeze-thaw-freeze-thaw--been known to kill off more than one plant in the past. Love Song so far has survived our winters (I've had her about 3 years now), but she has to be pruned fairly close to the soil line each spring--and then she pops up with energy and grows like crazy. I should add that I don't winter-protect, but do count a bit on my neighbors' oak trees (4 of them!) to scatter some leaves throughout my garden, although rather erratically.

Here's a couple pics--

Hope that helps.

Kate

mmmm12COzone5 thanked dublinbay z6 (KS)
  • jc_7a_MiddleTN
    5 years ago

Judith, mine get almost 12 hours of full sun.

I think thats why they struggled early. We had a few weeks of mostly no rain. But the last few weeks have gotten some and now they look just fine. I probably should have watered more early on.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hmmm...The place I'm putting mine is on the west side with afternoon sun in a rock bed that will heat up around it. I guess we will just have to see if it makes it.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    5 years ago

Gorgeous photos Kate! I don't have to worry about overly cold temps, tho this winter was pretty severe, got to 10 for a few hours, but roses weren't bothered. I was afraid the light mauve would struggle in the hot sun - I am getting a garden shed built, with flower beds, and would like to plant it in this new area, but it will get all day sun - my horse barn will provide shade but only in late evening. Sounds like it will tolerate sun - and it will be in a raised bed where I will be able to water often - so might try it. I am near Chamblees - if it dies....can easily replace it. Those photos are gorgeous!! Thanks!

Judith

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    5 years ago

Unfortunately, I have to point out that all the posters above are zone 6 and warmer. I have tried Love Song 3 or 4 times in increasingly protected spot, including my very best spot among my tea roses, and it never came back from the winter at all. You're welcome to try it as things may differ for you, but there are better and more hardy lavenders for cold zones, like Poseidon. I would love to grow Love Song, but it's just not going to happen for me.
    Cynthia

mmmm12COzone5 thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Cynthia,

Thanks for the input. I was also concerned about over wintering based on the comments here. Matt from High Country Roses seemed really confident and promised to replace it if it didn't make it so I think I will give it a try. Maybe Denver has enough warm cycles through the winter that it makes it through the cold spells.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    5 years ago

If you really want it, you might as well try it out. But I have to agree with Cynthia in Nebraska--my sense is that Love Song just barely survives Zone 6--but our past few winters have been so unusual (climate change?) that I'm not sure what is really "typical" for our region any more.

But try it, by all means--and let us know how it works.

Kate

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

Do you get much snow cover Mmm? Perhaps that's the key to its survival. The freeze-thaw was harsh on all my roses this year even those rated to zone 5. I think you remain colder much longer.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm on the fence again. I already bought it but do not know what I would get if I took it back. High Country Roses has a great selection but nothing has tickled my fancy so I'm continuing to research.

My current list of ones going in this year are:

Sally Holmes to replace the one I lost.

Playboy because I liked the blooms. Mixed reviews on that though so not sure I will be happy with it.

Oranges N Lemons. Good review from Vaporvac here in the Denver area.

So what to get instead of Love Song?

I know I want Lady in Red to replace a Dr. Huey Climber.

Am thinking about Audry Hpburn to replace a Dr. Huey plant in a very limited space at the base of my deck stairs.

Would like to look at Neil Armstong.

None of the above 3 are available at High Country Roses right now. I'm sort of limited to what they have. The reason I chose Love Song was I wanted to add some larger roses and I liked the color. I would like something similar to my Pretty Lady Rose but a different color. Suggestions?

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    5 years ago

Some above mentioned Neptune in place of Love Song--I haven't grown it, but others have said it is more cold hardy. Its lavender bloom is very close to that of Love Song.

But I didn't mean to run you off Love Song. If High Country is willing to back it, I'd be tempted to try it.

Kate

mmmm12COzone5 thanked dublinbay z6 (KS)
    5 years ago

I'm deciding on my last rose, so I'll look through his offerings with fresh eyes. What are your requirements?

mmmm12COzone5 thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This is for my cutting bed. I'd like really large flowers. Alot of them through the summer so a continual bloomer. Sort of like how Pretty Lady Rose performs. In terms of colors, white or something exotic. Not the same color as Pretty Lady Rose. So not the same shade of pink. Probably not red because I want to get Lady in Red next year. If High Country Roses still had Violets Pride I would get that but they are out for the year. If that performs well in the cold then I can get that next year so maybe not Lavender due to getting Violets Pride next year.

Here are the ones I currently have so something that looks different than all these but still fits in.

I'm adding Oranges N Lemons and Playboy to this mix so venturing into the orange area. I see some nice ones in interesting colors but I really want big blooms all through the summer. Those are the over riding requirements.

Maybe Dainty Bess?

Thanks for the suggestion of Neptune but unfortunately it has to be in stock at High Country Roses for me to make an exchange.

5 years ago

Ha! I was going to suggest VP! I got it grafted with the Springhill Rainbow of roses and really like it. I wrote some notes while was there about a couple with gorgeous blooms. Is fragrance a requirement?

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Fragrance isn't a requirement but would be nice to have. :-)

• seil zone 6b MI
    5 years ago

Love Song is a beautiful rose. I find it does have a light fragrance. It is a bit BS prone and isn't the most vigorous rose in my garden but it does manage to keep coming back from each winter. Around here that's a big plus.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked seil zone 6b MI
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks! I do have one protected spot I could put her in that is at the base of some stairs into a sunken courtyard. It is a smaller spot so the die back every year would actually be good. I was thinking of putting Audrey Hepburn there as it is the most protected spot I have.

5 years ago

Have you thought about Florentina as your climbing red if you don't want to wait for Lady in Red. They are quite different but I'm impressed with both. Florentina has amazing vigor. BTW, if you're looking for a huge flower with great substance take a look at Yankee Doodle. Did you see it when you were there?

• Kelly Tregaskis Collova
    5 years ago

I actually planted a love song despite better judgement. It has been surprizingly hardy here borderline zone 3. We had a very harsh winter in which I lost several roses, but love song keeps coming back. It os not very vigorous or very big, butin zone 4, one does not have the luxury of being too overly picky. The worse that can happen is you try it and see. Otherwise you will always be wondering.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked Kelly Tregaskis Collova
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Kelly, do you have a picture of yours? I like seeing real time pics instead of peak of the season pics. Thanks!

Vaporvac, Thanks for the suggestion of Florentina. It looks lovely but I think I will wait for Lady in Red. I loved the bloom size and the advertised no fade of older blooms on that one. They also thought it would get pretty full in 3 years. This is what it looks like currently so we don't want to cut this out and then wait forever for something to grow back.

My husband won't want to cut down the climber this year anyways. He is already dismayed at the work ahead just for the 4 I bought.

I did look at Yankee Doodle. In fact I picked it up and put it with the others I was buying. Then after assembling everything, including some of my current colors I decided it didn't fit in the color scheme.

In terms of where we are, we were discussing this just this morning. We have a shaded spot at the bottom of our deck stairs. It is south facing and in a sunken courtyard. It is likely a warmer microclimate than our yard. But it doesn't get alot of sun. However the Dr. Huey has been going there for 24 years. I had been saving it for Audrey Hepburn but May put in Love Song based on the die back characteristics. We can't have anything there that gets too big as it would snag people going up and down the stairs.

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    5 years ago

My 2 are growing really well in the middle of my Bermuda Grass bed.

I’m no expert so I’m thrilled with the number of blooms and buds coming from my subpar care.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    5 years ago

jc, that is the kind of care we provide also so good to hear. :-)

• Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

I’ve always thought/heard that Love Song is a heat loving rose. I’ve also heard Love Song can be pretty slow to establish on its own roots. Mine is grafted and I’m in a hot dry climate, so I have no experience with cold or Love Song on its own roots. That being said, mine has been an absolute champion in my dry heat. Mine is in a plastic half barrel container in full sun all day. It’s a tough rose that can survive that in my yard, yet alone bloom. I have Poseidon in the ground with some afternoon shade, and the blooms fry all summer. As long as Love Song receives adequate water it doesn’t fry, unless we have Santa Ana winds, and everything fry’s then. I’m not at home right now, but I did take a picture with my Love Song blooming in the background on June 27th.

And below are two pictures, taken on the same day, last summer. The first is of Love Song in full sun. Notice no burnt petals.

Lavender Roses: Love Song vs Poseidon · More Info

Then Poseidon, below. Burnt petals in far less sun than Love Song. Remember, Poseidon is in the ground and Love Song is in a large container.

Lavender Roses: Love Song vs Poseidon · More Info

I love them both, and if I had the energy, I’d plant Love Song in Poseidon’s spot, and move Poseidon to bright shade, or morning sun only.

Love Song 2015

Poseidon in winter

Lisa

mmmm12COzone5 thanked Lisa Adams
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for more pictures and comments. Love Song is in a shady but hot location. Partial afternoon sun for the most part. We'll see if I can add positive things to this thread in another year. :-)

• jacquierz5bmi
    5 years ago

I don't have pictures of my Love Song, and it isn't blooming now or I'd go out to take some. I have had it for 3 years, and it always comes back although I have had to prune it to within a few inches of the ground. Last winter started out here very cold-below zero temps for days on end-and she came through fine with no protection. We also didn't have as much snow as normal, I lost a Violet's Pride during the same winter.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked jacquierz5bmi
  • jc_7a_MiddleTN
    5 years ago

Still posting because I’m really pleased with this rose.

We’ve had 2+ weeks of brutal heat. First no rain, then tons. Extremely humid right now.

I am new to roses but Fragrant Cloud and Apricot Candy in the same bed both have black spot. Neither of my Love Song bushes do.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here is a Love Song bloom at the green house. Honestly I was pretty disappointed with it. If I had seen this I would not have bought it. This picture makes it look better than it was. It was a pale pink, sort of mottled looking. I don't know if this is because it gets too much shade or just because it is an immature plant/bloom. It was also not very big. Both the blooms in the picture are off the same Love Song plant. I don't think it resembles the picture at all.

The Love Song we put in the ground is showing no new growth or doing anything. The other three varieties of roses (Sally Holmes, Playboy and Oranges N Lemons) that we put in our hot sunny rock bed are showing new growth and one is setting blooms (Playboy). Do you think we should move it up to the hot sunny rock bed?

5 years ago

Judging from JC's remarks, perhaps it doesn't like dry heat.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

I would just water it well and wait. Matt at HCRs really knows what he is doing. I have had roses just sit there for a while before they explode into growth. Moving a plant this early would be a set back.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Actually when I talked to Matt about it he thought moving it to full sun was probably a good idea. He said Weeks Roses modern releases tend to do best in full sun.

5 years ago

I also wonder if it's just the plants immaturity. My Violet's Prides blooms are nowhere near as double as everyone else's. I'm hoping once I put it in the ground it will improve. I also concur that these weeks roses do like the sun.

I know you like large blooms, but have you considered red Cascade as a replacement for dr. Huey or are you just going to hold out for lady in red next year? Red Cascade is a bloomer with very quick repeat although tiny blooms.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

I think Love Song probably likes dry heat and sun. LS likes it here, and we have plenty of sunny dry heat. Diane

mmmm12COzone5 thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I think I am going to hold out for Lady in Red. I don't know if it will be carried at High Country Roses next year so I may need to order it. They didn't carry it this year. Our yard is large and most of the sight lines are from a distance so the bigger blooms show up better. Also the large sprays of blooms clumped together. I keep trying to start a thread on Dick Koster but for some reason the website won't take it. Not sure if it is filtering out the name Dick.

Interestingly enough the starts for Sally Homes also had ugly blooms. I bought it based on the blooms of the mature plant so never would have bought it if I had seen the pale pinkish whimpy looking ones I saw today. But it is an absolute stunner in my yard. So it just goes to show that you can't judge it based on the green house blooms.

The Chuckles starts were absolutely stunning! The blooms were all brilliant neon pink. But in my yard they are always fried. If I didn't know it didn't do well in my yard I would have bought it again. :-)

Nanadoll,

Thanks I am thinking I should move it. Might put Dick Koster there in the shade but am unable to start a thread asking about it.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    5 years ago

Lisa--that Poseidon bouquet is gorgeous!

Kate

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Love Song just put out her first flower. It is true to color and form of the pictures. You can see from my hand that it is pretty sizable.

It seems to hold the weight of the flower OK considering how young the plant is.

The color is sort of a dusky purple. Most of my other roses are very vibrant or white. I'm not sure how I feel about this muted color. It might end up being a star in the vase though.

Edit: Just took a pic. with a ruler. Looks to be about 4" across.

The location it is in gets very little sun. It is sort of on trial there.

• mmmm12COzone5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

My Love Song lived through the winter and is just now, 8/6/19 getting it's first bloom. Probably doesn't care for the shade.

It hasn't grown that much but it isn't getting much water either. The bloom is really pretty. There are two more buds beside it. I was planning to move it but am backing off that idea for the time being.

• Oliver (SF 9A)
    4 years ago

I love my love song! First year plant. Not overly rigorous and no fragrance. But these are the only two drawbacks.

mmmm12COzone5 thanked Oliver (SF 9A)
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

I have grown two Love Song roses for several years, and this rose is my favorite lavender. I love the color, bloom size, and quick rebloom. While Love Song has grown steadily over the years, this year she is exploding with growth and blooms (who knows why, exactly), and now the more protected plant is verging on huge, and the second plant is definitely large. I agree that having little no scent is a negative, as is LS's cold sensitivity, but this is improving with the plants' age. She tolerates heat well. Here are a few photos of this year's Love Song plants in my garden.

Oliver, I'm glad you love Love Song (ha), and she's a beauty, doing so well for you her first year. In your mild climate, I'll bet she grows a lot bigger. And her vigor in her second or third year will surprise you. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago