SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ned_b

1920s Eclectic Prairie House Projects

A Fox
5 years ago

Hopefully I don't jinx myself like last time, when I started posting on a house that we were interested in purchasing only to have our offer passed over for someone who could close much faster than us. But this time we are fully under contract, and have been for going on 2 weeks now, the inspection is completed, the financing is underway. Our current house is under under contract and everything seems to be on its way there. Fingers crossed that the appraisals, financing, title, and everything else falls into place and we will be closing and moving by mid-next month. I'm not asking a specific question with this post, but expect this to be a catch all for our journey and the projects and issues we come along as we get into fixing and restoring the great old house.

Anyway, we are currently in the process of purchasing a bank owned house in an inner-ring Chicago suburb. It was constructed in 1924 on a really great street of big old trees and historic homes. My research suggests that it may have been designed by Chicago prairie style architect George Maher late in his career, based on some of the houses styling, and the fact that the staircase and some of the moldings are nearly identical to some of his other 1920s houses. It's an interesting eclectic mix of Maher's typical boxy prairie massing and low hipped roof, with a Neoclassical entrance, Renaissance Revival style exposed rafter tails, and Colonial Revival interior.

We are fortunate the house is actually in really good condition for the average foreclosure property. The previous owner put quite a bit of effort into the house during the 18 years that he lived there, and we suspect the amount of money he put into updating and decorating the house may have played a part in his financial misfortune. He's an interior designer who did many interesting things with the house, but his taste is also more extravagant than ours, and one might call it a bit dated.

But there are still many projects that need attention. And once we get through those, we really want to start working on making the house both fit our taste and needs, while also bringing some aspects of the house closer to how it looked when it was built. First off, we are going to have to figure how to repair/replace the two rear doors who's original hardware and frames were damaged when the In bank or city forced entry to the home following the sherrif's sale. In the short term, both the 100 year old boiler, and unique water chilled forced air cooling system need attention, the masonry parapets on the garage need to be rebuilt, and the low slope (nearly flat) garage roof needs to be replaced. And we want to pull up all of the tired carpets to see the condition of the oak and red quarry tile floors beneath.

Long term, we are considering having some or maybe much of the woodwork stripped, as there is evidence in several areas that it was once stained. Similarly the sun room has brick walls that appear to be light brown under the white paint. We'd also like to give the house real access to it's back yard, rather than having to walk around the garage, and tweak the kitchen so that it feels less like the early 90s and more in tune with the rest of the house.

Please excuse my less than spectacular cell phone photos, and if anyone has any great ideas or insight, we'd be glad to hear them. We are looking forward to the journey.

Comments (21)