SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
englishlies2000

Roses for $7 antiques

Comments (87)

• 5 years ago

Shiela that is great of your neighbor to drop it off. Wow, OR, is beautiful. My neighbor did the same thing . I took as much I like but that was 2 years ago. But I will be on look out Bec FL state start cutting their trees and branches but so far I have no such luck this year. Most of it was done last year but still on lookout since it is hurricanes seasons. But they break down so quick within 6 months and nothing is left. I would say 4 months was more likely.

Cedemas, thank you for the link. I have to find someone with a truck. It is like 2-3 hours from me . It's been a while I went there. Something for me to look into and thank you.

I have brought home so much coffee grounds. Getting it from work was easy. Unlimited amount and so much. I used a spreader and distributed in my front yard and backyard. Plus I gave it to a few neighbours. My car smells like coffee aroma.

Jin

• 5 years ago

We got our composted horse manure off Craigslist! A very nice lady posts every couple months. Another source was a llama farm; now that was some nice compost! I did pay for the llama poo, since it was primo. Something like $50 for a pickup truck full. They told me that it’s become another source of income for many small struggling farms, so I was happy to support them.

At least in this area, we’ve found that tree companies would much prefer to dump their mulch for free at your house, than to pay the dump fees charged at the landfill. I text a guy whenever I need more, and he brings it within a day or two. No gym membership needed when you’re hauling wheelbarrows of mulch & manure!

We get almost all of our cardboard from a furniture store nearby. They put out nice big & thick boxes. Mattress stores are good sources too. I’m just weird that way—I get really excited about recycling the cardboard this way and, yes, I will pull it out of a dumpster if I have to. :-) I don’t shred it, I just layer it 2-3 sheets thick, overlapping & covering the seams with the next layer. It kills most weeds, and any that try to sneak out from under the cardboard are dealt with harshly.

This morning I was digging and found a piece of clear plastic tape. I try to pull off as much of the tape off the boxes as I can, but sometimes I miss a side. That’s all that’s left of the boxes we put down in the fall. I thanked the worms & microbes for all their hard work.

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • Related Discussions

Pioneer Roses from Antique Rose Emporium

Q

Comments (44)
    Vap, you will love Thomas Affleck! I just found some photos from 2012 - not my best ones, but will go thru my camera later and post as I find some. I have gotten lazy now - its a 3 hour drive, and if I want some ARE roses, I will wait til they have free shipping, but like last nite - I wanted to get a few before their prices changed Feb. 1 so I ordered Sweet Pea, Beverly, F.J. Lindheimer and Nacogcoches [I live 30 minutes from there - and remember seeing this rose and a huge pink growing under that big shed at this old run down motel. I would stop alot and try to identify these roses. I think the big pink was Queen Elizabeth. The yellow, which turned into Nacogdoches, I couldnt figure out unless it was Sunbright, a rose that stays dark yellow].
    ...See More

Roses by mail order - impressions of different antique rose vendors

Q

Comments (25)
    One thing to keep in mind about 'Edgar Degas' not being available until 2018 is that if its patent began when it was introduced in 1997 -- and it lasts 20 years -- that may be why Linda won't be making it available until then, since she can't begin to propagate it without paying royalties until 2017. I don't have much to add, since all the nurseries I've used have been mentioned. I will say that I do have them ranked in terms of whom I ask first when seeking particular roses: Long Ago Roses and Burlington Roses get asked first, because of high quality and very reasonable prices. If they don't have what I want, then I check Rose Petals Nursery or Angel Gardens. These two are also top-notch, but cost including shipping is a bit higher, though not much. These two also tend to specialize in what grows well for them in Florida, so don't expect much in the way of once-blooming old Europeans, though there are a few tucked in. For those cold-hardy oldies, I check High Country Roses. They also have a few hard-to-find species. If there's still something I can't find, I check Rogue Valley Roses or Roses Unlimited. RVR has an amazing selection, but their bands are at the higher end of the spectrum. Also expect about 10% or so to come mislabeled, but my experience is that 1) it's usually nearby alphabetically, so you sometimes end up with something you didn't know you wanted, and 2) if you do need a replacement, emailing some pics and calling the office will get the mistake corrected. RU also has a great selection, but they lean more toward the moderns than does RVR. But they also send hefty 1gal plants. This also means shipping is a bit more if you're not on the east coast, but it's not that bad since I'm in NJ. If I need something with faster impact, I go with RU. If I don't mind nursing something along, I go with RVR. I haven't mentioned Heirloom because I haven't ordered from them since the company changed hands. I will say that they're going more in the direction of modern roses, and the few remaining oldies I can easily find elsewhere. So it's not that I ever had a problem with their roses -- it's just that there isn't as much that they have which catches my eye. But I wouldn't hesitate to order from them should that change. :-) ~Christopher
    ...See More

Antique Rose book recommendation for a Rose Society Secret Santa

Q

Comments (8)
    While not at all specific to California, the Australian Tea Roses book would also make a great gift. Well...except that it sells new for about double your limit. So I found some other options that could also work. Empress of the Garden Noisette Roses: Nineteenth-Century Charleston's Gift to the World In Search of Lost Roses Landscaping with Antique Roses If you don't mind getting used books, you could put together quite a bargain package of several together. For someone crafty, if you can find a used copy of Redoute's Roses cheap enough to warrant "destroying" the book, you can remove and frame the pages to hang as art around the home. Every so often I spot one on Amazon or one of the other book sellers for less than $10 and I'm tempted. :-) ~Christopher
    ...See More

Antique Rose Emporium-rose size?

Q

Comments (37)
    Thanks all! He might look great in the photos, but he's a fussy little devil. Diane, I was looking at some of my photos of baby Abe and the stems were rather spindly on them also. I can't remember if these are two or three year-old plants. I've given them away because they were not happy in pots. Or rather I thought they were not happy in pots, but the problem was me. I didn't water them enough in the hot summer and then the water just ran down the sides between pot and rootball. Then when I soaked them enough, I soaked them too much. Growing in pots is tricky here.
    ...See More
  • 5 years ago

My favorite mulch this year was all my students’ work. I teach an AP class, so they don’t get their stuff back for security purposes. I just bring it all home and put it down under the cardboard. My students love it! Some of them asked if they could come visit their mulch—I told them no that was a little weird. :-)

Jin, most of the worms sold by the pound online are meant for vermicomposting, in a container. They don’t usually do well in open soil, and will most likely be attacked by local organisms that they aren’t equipped to fight. I’d try a couple dozen from your local bait shop, and see how they do. It only takes two happy worms to make lots of baby worms!

• 5 years ago

I've heard great things about llama and alpaca manure. It isn't 'hot' so you don't have to have to age it, just dump it on fresh. Seems so much easier. Of course never having used it before, can't tell what that does to the odor level.

MaryC

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10
  • 5 years ago

It was not very smelly. We put most of it under the cardboard, so it wasn’t really in open air. They only downside I noticed were the weeds sprouting in a pile I left to break down, since it wasn’t hot enough to kill the weed seed. It was very similar to rabbit manure.

• 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Perma, I was laughing so hard. I just had dinner within the hour and I could not stop laughing. Oh, boy ! Tears running down and tummy ache. My favorite mulch of the year was students work. The whole paragraph was hilarious. I read it aloud to my Cambridge student daughter and IB son of mine. They both went ..." Oh, so that is what happens to my papers ". That's is so cool. Thumbs up, Perma :)

Okay, then I should go to bait shop. You are so lucky to have all the numbers. I got boxes from work. They are huge. Also, heads up a little info. I got all my vegetables free from Publix. I know the managers and also the store manager real well. I got boxes of salads, tomatoes, cabbage what not for my compost bin. I only did that once. They were ready to dump it when I asked. I don't know if I can asked again when another times comes. I don't know if they sell it or give to pigs farm or throw it in garbage. I know Starbucks here by my house. They threw away in dumpster but Starbucks at my work in theme park recycles it. Yet, the restaurants threws their coffee grounds in garbage . Weird, isn't it. One do different than the another.

I think this earthworms project is a start. Thank you for all the information. This threads just took off in different directions. We should copy and paste into a new header. A new comer might learn a lot from information all you guys provided. Very detailed and thank you.

I am not looking for a llamas

Jin

• 5 years ago

Ha-ha; love your kids’ responses!

That’s true about the thread—sorry— I’m still figuring out how this works. Maybe the search engine will cross-reference?

I’ve noticed the same thing about compost resources—it really all comes down to the people. That’s a great contact at Publix! And I really envy all your coffee grounds! Great score!

• 5 years ago

Omg, I need to stop ordering roses. It is way too hot outside. Went outside to repot 2 roses and so humid and burning hot feel like 101 but it is only 85 outside. I am sure we are going to hit 95 unless rain comes. I work barely 2 hours and I am so done with this heat.

Got to do 2 more later in evening digging holes. At night, too many bugs and mosquitoes. Cannot win with mother nature and I still have to do my beds. Changing mulch and pulling weeds. And I bought borders for Maggie and Heritage.

2 fans running straight at me, drop AC lower, drinking cold water and went I am feel much better another shower. Think I am having another shower then another after working in evening.

So, I am not ordering roses until late fall/ winter.

Jin

• 5 years ago

Oh Jin, it’s a good thing you came in—you have to be careful—heat stroke is all too real in this weather! I am in the same boat, I bought too many roses, and now I look like I have the measles from all these mosquito bites. And yesterday, I felt something like a branch scraping my back, but I wasn’t anywhere near a tree—it was one of those giant grasshoppers on me!! Do you have them there too? Then when I knocked it off of me and yelled at it, it hissed at me like snake!

• 5 years ago

I need to weed but you guys are scaring me. I stayed inside today. I'll do it tomorrow, 8AM-10AM is not too bad. But even then I am drenched when I am done.

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked cedemas
  • 5 years ago

Oh, sorry Cedemas! I think you are wise to wait until 8 am. The heat index is off the charts today. I really prefer sunrise for my gardening. Sometimes there’s a nice breeze then that makes it more bearable.

• 5 years ago

I just checked. Holy moly! Heat index is 102. UV index is 9 out of 10. I think we're going to have about two months of this. Remind me why I ever considered any roses aside from Chinas. Hah hah.

• 5 years ago

Yeah, I felt the heat bad and all afternoon I felt a little headache but I drank ton of water. Yup, i was sweating profusely on my face.

I hate wasps and when they fly near me. I was ready to jump in the pool. I was jumping over shadows thinking wasp but it was butterflies and I had a few dragonflies zooming by my pool. Birds chirping and singing so beautifully. Ahh , what nature :)

I enjoy all of the them but wasp..no. Those little creatures can sting you a billion times and still can live not bees, just a shame.

Cedemas, becareful of heat. I think tomorrow I will get up at first stike of sun to work. 6ish am sounds good not going to do what I did today.

Jin

• 5 years ago

Don't mention wasps or bees to me at the moment! Yesterday I was trimming my hedges down low and stepped into a nest of ground bees. Yikes! They stung me multiple times on my hands and ankles and then proceeded to chase me back to my door. I haven't done that in a few years and forgot how much it hurts. I'm okay today but it itches like heck. Stay safe you guys. It's so humid today my glasses are fogging up but I don't like to wear my contacts when working outside to protect my eyes.

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 5 years ago

Vap, ouch!! Are you okay ? Becareful. Consider those bees are short lived now. I should wear glasses but I am not used to it.

My roses are coming tomorrow around 10.30 am. Fed-ex just call to confirm someone to be at home. Got ship today :). HURRAY !!

Vap, it is so bad here. I have tomorrow and my 2 days over the weekend to finish the task. Then, I am so done. Enjoy myself indoors for whole summer. I feel like a prune today so need to revitalize my skin. ..lol.

Jin

• 5 years ago

Cedemas becareful it is already hot as I am posting this 8.07 am. It is going to be another hot day. Apparently, I had sunburn on my shoulders and back. I was so tired and drain from the heat. Becareful :)

Jin

• 5 years ago

Jin, I also wear a denim shirt when outside to avoid the Sun, mosquitoes and Rose prickles. Long pants hat and gloves. It's no wonder I get so hot, but better than the alternatives.

• 5 years ago

Hah hah. I never leave the house without SPF60+/PPD30+, sunglasses, and a wide-brimmed hat or visor. Also this is what I am dealing with--mostly very deep shade. Please excuse the weeds. They always win.

• 5 years ago

Cedemas very nice shade well mine is opposite. I went opposite of Vap also thinking I won't be overheated. Camisole and shorts. Never bother with sunscreen unless I am out at beach. There is no way I am wearing pants in heat over here. I will hit dehydration even faster . I will stick with comfortability of shorts and tanks tops. Today, I wore a hat.

Jin

• 5 years ago

Your shade looks so lovely right now, Cedemas! What a beautiful setting!

I’ve also surrounded my property with tiki torches and that seems to help with the skeeters, but I’m blowing through the torch fuel. I’ve decided I’m just doing 7-10 am and making myself go in at 10.

• 5 years ago

I’m going to try to go back to our original topic, LOL! I just planted two of my Rose Petals roses this morning, and wow! are they nice healthy plants! Thick, green canes and neatly trimmed. They do such a great job there! I’m thinking I need to make a trip over there like you suggested Cedemas, but I’m afraid I’ll bring home too many! :-)

• 5 years ago

Perma, I no longer have that fear. I accept that I have a compulsion to hoard roses. When I visit them (once a month) I kind of feel like saying, "I'll just take one of everything." They are cheaper than just about any other place.

I passed on the recent Roses Unlimited and Reverence for Roses sales because they were more expensive than RPN with shipping. I don't have to pay for shipping with RPN or Angel Gardens because I can drive to them.

If you stick with their $7 roses you can't do too much damage. I usually get the full priced ones, though.

• 5 years ago

I just got them. And boy, they are soak with water and pots are loaded with water Bec in of them got tilted sideways.

One of my plant looks so light green. I did not look at it properly on the phone . Seem there is someone is hacking from FedEx or someone. I will do a thread but I need to call Rose petals and inform him also.

Jin

• 5 years ago

I received the box but within 20 mins. I received a call saying I got a wrong package meanwhile they are asking for tracking number, description of the box but all was given then he ended call himself.

When, he mention my full maiden name which I have not used over 25 years. I knew it was a scam.

I talk to FedEx but they seem not to be interested saying maybe it is on sellers end. Finally, I talk to manager and he kinda brush it off. So, we call Rose petals and I talk to Sydney. She was shocked. I am running a full security scan on all my devices which I did on Sunday. This is a bizarre thing. Before FedEx send us confirmation number around 9 ish pm. This person have already called me around 7 ish pm and gave me the confirmation number also. Sydney thought maybe my system was hacked but I did not even know the confirmation number before so it cannot be me but nevertheless I am running a scan now as we speak. And Sydney is also doing it.

As soon as the other guy came to know it was roses. He was not interested. But decided to end the call.

But it is so weird. The roses was under my husband's name not mine. House number was not given. He knew my name. Especially maiden.

I really hope FedEx will not be hit hard by Xmas. I hope they will look into it.

Jin

• 5 years ago

RjG looks light green. Any suggestions ?

Jin

• 5 years ago

Jin, sorry about Fed Ex woes. Do not worry your new plants will do great. I've received a light green one here and there and the color changes to normal once planted. I got one Miss Agnes Sherman that had tipped over in transit and broke it's top. I cut off part of the broken part and scotch taped another break and it grew just fine and looks to be a great rose. I know the pale color is a worry, but it won't persist.

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 5 years ago

It's because of all the rain. I'd spray the leaves lightly with iron. Maybe use a very dilute, half strength fish emulsion. Liquids only and very dilute.

• 5 years ago

Jin, you've certainly had more than your share of technology woes lately. Such a weird collection of facts the caller had. Hope all will be well and no further issues.

You new babies look great. Looking forward to photos when they get settled in.

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10
  • 5 years ago

Yeah, I just gonna ignore the strange calls. Shiela, that is good to know. I have to transplant the roses into pots in the evening

Mary, I have same issues as Cedemas. My dog will ran right into them being so small.

Jin

• 5 years ago

That’s really creepy, Jin—so sorry you had to go through that. I understand your frustration with Fedex; it really does sound like they got hacked.

Your new roses look great! A few of mine were pale, but after a few days out of the box & a little seaweed drink, they colored right up. About half of my mail-order roses (from all over) dropped their leaves, and then pushed out newer, healthier ones. Congrats on your new babies!

• 5 years ago

Oh wow, Cedemas, being that close to both nurseries would enable me beyond recovery! You are very lucky! :-)

• 5 years ago

Perma, yeah, I am pretty sure I would not have so many roses if I were not so ideally positioned for making purchases.

• 5 years ago

Jin, it's easier for you. You have only one dog. I have three and they are all big. When they see other dogs, cats, rabbits, squirrels, lizards, turtles, people, baby strollers, or leaves falling, they get hyperactive, hysterical, and bark and jump all over everything. They have trampled on many of my new baby roses. That's another reason why most of what is in the backyard is now in pots. I can't plant in the back anymore until they are really big bushes that the dogs will avoid.

• 5 years ago

Mine does the same. But the roses get him. He ran right into my rose bush chasing helicopter. I have to treat near his eye. He was fine but he stays away but again if a squirrel ran across, he still chase them but with precaution. Kinda give it a week and he is back to himself. And I am like crazy mad woman yelling get off my roses..lol. He stops right in his track.

He chases cats, possum, helicopters, birds, butterflies, dragonflies and squirrels. And mailman. He will be running one end to another like a mad dog barking. But it is too hot so he is indoors most of the time. He will jump into the pool if he is too hot without permission. So that's a problem Bec I have to give him a bath afterwards and I don't have time. The best stunt he plays is as soon as I release him outside he goes straight into my pool. Big Splash :)

I don't mind but the chlorine dries up his skin bad so I have to bath him even daily swimming. He has been really good this summer.

But this is so small. Besides, I will wait till fall it cooler temps. I am so done with this heat.

I will wait to give them fish emulsion next week. They are all due then.

Perma, this weekend I am going to the beach. Buying earthworms and picking up seaweeds for my compost. Spending a few hours at beach. Last week we wanted to go but Bec of jellyfish and man' of' war. It was about 1300 reported getting stung and going to hospital. So, we decided to postpone it.

Jin

• 5 years ago

His eye that started from a rose bush but he is scratching on it and making it worst and keep doing it constantly. Stubborn, too.

I think I took a little of his space. So, most of my pots are at one corner of the pool. And one rose bed. I gave him about 1/4 acre to ran around without running into anything. Just one bed. I am still teaching him. He is now staying away from rose bush.

Jin

• 5 years ago

Maybe he needs a head cone, Jin, to stop him irritating it until it heals.

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 5 years ago

Poor baby. That looks painful. Did you take him to the doctor?

• 5 years ago

Yeah, I guest I have to retake him back This time I have to buy a cone. We have one but one size too small.

He is fine and healing bettet but totally forgotten about the incident. Riddick has very high spirits. If he peels his scabs one more time, I was going to take him back myself.

And get another bottle of amoxicillin for him.

Jin

• 5 years ago

Wow, he did gash it! He looks like such a sweetie!

Beach, seaweed, worms—sounds like a fantastic weekend to me! :-)

• 5 years ago

He is fine. We see his vet every month sometimes every 2 months. He takes medication for hip dysplasia. Sometimes shots. I don't think he feels the pain. Just annoyed or scab drying up. But he is a good dog. Just mischievous and stubborn but very strong will.

He made it worst by scratching it also several times.

Jin

• 5 years ago

! That looks awful! Maybe you could jerry-rig the cone you have just so that it can heal just a bit. I'm sure you'll do what's best he just has a lot of energy. Good luck on your trip to the beach. I'm very jealous as it's my very favorite thing to do besides putter around in the garden! But now I'm just muddy and sweaty and would love to have ocean to jump into!

• 5 years ago

Well, Vap, you should not be Bec you were here not to long ago. But if you were I would have invited you for sure :). I know you don't have a beach there but a manmade one which I always want to check it out but never made it. Regrets :(

We are thinking either Melbourne. I know you know that place well or Cocoa. The others, we both ruled out not to. I am so looking forward to weekend and dining out also.

I hope to get a few bags of seaweeds. If they clean up the beach bec of jelly fish that it will be hard to find. We will see. Cross fingers

I rather go now then 4th July which will be so crowded.

Oh, are you going to Doo Dah 4th July parade. I had so much of fun. ( Think that was the spelling) in OH :)

Jin

• 5 years ago

Well, you can bring me back some seaweed! The last time we went to the beach I asked my son to make sure the 5 gallon buckets were in the car—and guess what—we got to the beach & no 5 gallon buckets. So I said, “well, I guess we’ll just have to scrounge up some plastic bags for the seaweed,” and he said, “Mom, I was really hoping you wouldn’t do that—it’s so embarrassing!” And my older son said, “lets vote: who wants to watch Mom look like a crazy person grabbing up seaweed?” and no one voted for me! So I got no seaweed. :-(

• 5 years ago

Perma, so sorry about this. I guess I was guilty of this sort of behavior, too, when I was a child. My poor mother. May she rest in peace. I never had a chance to thank her for putting up with me.

They will understand when they have roses of their own!

Today I had sweet daydreams of well-composted manure all over my yard. Never though I'd dream of such stuff but it is what it is.

• 5 years ago

Perma, well, than I would say " Safe the Planet" or " recycle Day". We are actually ckeaning the beach. A small proportion anyways.

Perma, I am also sorry but gotta put positive attitude here , right ? I would go to the beach again alone if I have to. My kids used one if those words above. I guess I got lucky with this generation.

Cedemas, you mom sounds to be a very loving person and patience. I am very grateful to mine also. Those days everything done fresh cooking from scratch. I hate to be in kitchen. But now, I am cooking but not sewing or knitting. Wish, I had learn those talents.

Perma, a lot of people picks up seaweeds. I learned this from this forum actually. Yours sons will change not now when they are way older. They were realize that you are not crazy besides that's how lands works and has for 100's of years. From Farmers to rich soil in Alaska from Salmons.

First time doing this and I hope my kids will help.

You know the four news roses I got, well, my daughter planted all 4 for me in pots. She did that in patio while it was raining that day. She did a great job.

She told me that I am too old to be scooping like that " I am young and I can do this besides I help in school gardens all the time since I am in FAA ."

I was so impressed by her. My son helps seldom but he does when comes to bigger projects. After pushing him several times and getting him ready like to brush the pool or bags the weeds and leaves.sometimes, he does it sometimes he don't.

Cedemas, I am so far behind. My front yard and backyard just started. I even grinds my Alfalfa hay to powder form and used the spreader . I don't need any seeds sprouting. I think I have the worst soil. I buried Alfalfa hay in a deep rose holes (9) before planting but it takes all the nitrogen to break down instead of releasing so I change my methods and throw it on top instead. Live and learn, I guess.

Jin

• 5 years ago

I was running behind today for work. Yesterday, we shock the pool heavily out with 4 kinds of checmicals . This are heavy duty too. As I was watering this morning, I heard as if something busted. I was looking at my hose. Nope, when I saw water shooting out of a pump and landing directly into my Evelyn pot. I ran and moved the pot out of the way. Directly into my 1 rose pot. Like a perfect shot .

Grab another 2 bags and told the whole family. This needs to be done or else my English rose will die . I was so ready to call out work and tell them I am running behind.

They transferred my rose

Wash the roots off and also rinse the whole bush before transferring

My husband put the filter last night and forgot to close the valve

Well, we will see if my rose survive

If not he said he will get me more. Whatever, it takes to make me happy

They threw the bad soil in garbage . My kids did the work this is where my son help the most. I can't remember what type of chemicals but it is 4 types and I used 3 bags of supershock too . I write more after work which I am getting off in evenings.

Cross fingers it will survive.

Jin

• 5 years ago

Jin, so sorry that it's just one crisis after another! Soon things will calm down. So glad that I do not have a pool. My parents had a big one, no cage, and lots of trees around, and it was a lot of work. That cured me of wanting a pool! I will be crossing my fingers for your rose.

• 5 years ago

Wow, Jin, that’s crazy that it went straight for Evelyn! Poor girl! Sounds like you did everything you could, and think you got her before anything soaked in. She’ll just be squeaky clean! I’m so sorry you had to go through all of that before work. Those kind of things really rattle me, too.

Thanks for the encouragement about my kids. They are slowly coming around. I know when they are older, they’ll understand better why I do all these things. Now when they were little, it was great fun to collect all these inputs. But as they got older, and noticed we were the only families doing these kinds of things, they changed their minds. I know they’ll change them back again!

My son came home from Bio class one day, saying they were studying mycorrhizae, and told me, “hey Mom, you were right about all that fungus stuff, it reall does help plants grow.” He went to the same school I teach at, so when I saw the Bio teacher the next day he said my son told the class I talk about soil ALL the time, and that the class agreed this was very odd for an English teacher, lol!

Your kids are super sweet to help you so much—that’s really heartwarming! :-)

• 5 years ago

Oh Jin! You must be worried about Evelyn! I’d put her in some dappled shade while she recovers, for a bit. That way she can get her roots resettled without dealing with the hot sun. I’m sorry:(. Lisa

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked Lisa Adams
  • 5 years ago

Now, I am laughing but this morning. It was so hectic, chaos first I was confused Bec I hear water besides mine sounds way more then came the shock, then came screams running grabbing my pot away , I got soaked Bec I did not know how to turn off anything . I was all ready to leave for work and already had a shower. Call my hubby for help. It took him 4 secs to stop the water flowing into the air.

Call work, told family what to do in details and had another quick shower with fresh clothes.

I had 3 supeshocks bags that is 78% chlorine nin a A Bag, 4pounds of stabilizer, 8 pounds of alkalinity plus, acid.

So, hopefully, it is okay. I just was surprised how the water shoot up in air and landed straight into a pot. What are the odds ?

I think it will be okay. I can laugh about today. Who don't have accidents in life like this a garden trauma. I call it :)

Perma, yours kids are young. I was thinking they were so much older. I guess that is the age. When everything I do is an embarrassment to them. They seems to be on right track. And they learn more from you and it will be with them all this knowledge.

Kids put Evelyn in shade, no anything in soil. Just water next few weeks then slowly I will see how she behaves before I give her anything.

Lisa ,thank you . I will let you know..lol

Cedemas, you are lucky not to have a pool. Too expensive when it comes to maintance and work. Lucky you :)

Jin