SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coriannh0uzzviolatedmyprivacy

Roses by mail order - impressions of different antique rose vendors

Cori Ann - H0uzz violated my privacy
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Yesterday I received a shipment from Rose Petals Nursery and while the roses were in good shape for bands, the person who packed them went overboard with packing staples. Each pot was stapled into the box with thick, huge, packing staples about 6 times. I'm strong, work out each day, but I really struggled to get them out and had to really mangle the pots in order to do so. They were stapled so much that I couldn't even fit scissors in to cut away the pot in order to get them out easier. It kinda felt like a cruel Christmas prank I used to play on my kids where I wrapped a box, within a box, within a box, within a box, etc.

It made me think about the different vendors I have used recently. This year, I had the opportunity to sample several different antique rose mail order vendors as I remodeled the back yard. I definitely have some favorites.

What are your impressions of antique rose vendors, or other garden mail order vendors?

Here are mine...

Antique Rose Emporium. My favorite! Due to the consistent, awesome packaging, shipping and healthy, large plants. Roses seem larger, a little older and more robust. Shipping and packaging is super organized and consistent. I get excited each time I see the boxes because I know healthy, amazing roses are inside and that it's going to be a breeze to get them out and get them to grow!

Roses Unlimited. My second favorite, although I only ordered 3 plants of one type of rose bush (Dames de Chenonceau) so I don't have a lot to base it on. These roses were so healthy, well cared for and lush for babies! I was pretty amazed. Awesome packaging. Safe and sound, but also a breeze to unpack. Plants arrived quick to CA from SC! Larger, older plants. Great customer service too.

A Reverence for Roses. Young plants, But seemed a little older than bands. Mine seem to be taking off and healthy. Arrived looking tall and mature for young plants! Really fast shipping to CA from FL! Packaging seemed fine and they arrived great for traveling across the country.

Burlington Roses. Burling is such a sweetie. Small, young bands. The roses arrived well packaged and fast. Some of them may have been better if they were a little more mature before they shipped ... we will see. She's such a pleasure to do business with though!

Rogue Valley Roses. Small, young bands. Each shipment seemed a little dry when they arrived. Packaged fine and shipped fine, nothing really to make note of. The plants I ordered all seemed slow to take off, but healthy enough. I wish the plants were a little more mature/robust before they shipped, but they all seem to be OK so far.

Rose Petals Nursery. Small, young bands... but in pots (these were the same size plants as Burling and RVR and could have been grown/shipped in rectangular band containers instead of the pots they used). Packaging was not fun. I could have mangled and damaged the roses when I was trying to get them out. Great, rare selection of roses, and they seem healthy for young bands, but the packaging was such a pain that's all I can really focus on!

Palatine Roses. Not sure yet... when mine are shipped and arrive I will be able to give an update!

Regans Nursery. I live within driving distance so.... I prefer going in person.

Annie's Annuals and Perrenials. Same.

Fast Growing Trees and Brighter Blooms. I believe this is the same company. Meh. Overpriced, but some fruit trees can be hard to find healthy locally sometimes. Packaged well. Shipped pretty fast. If you can find the same things at a local nursery instead I think it's better and less expensive. Pretty good at handling returns, exchanges and problems. Nice customer service.... but I still think I would have gone with a special order from local nursery instead if I could do it over. Although I have ordered their fruit trees several times over the years so they're doing something right! Their fruit trees do fruit within the first year like they say, in my experience.

Long Ago Roses. Amazing customer service... but the rose I want won't be ready until 2018! (Edgar Degas). I can give an update then I guess!

So.... Local nurseries are still my favorite. I like seeing in person. For mail order antique rose purchases in the future I'm going to mainly stick with ARE and RU (although I believe I am done buying in bulk for a while!)

The thing is it's the others that tend to have the real rarities!

So... what are your impressions of antique rose vendors and who are your favorites?

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida