SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blazedog37

Showers Being Built - What Should I Look For

Helen
5 years ago

Showers in my guest and master bathrooms are being constructed. The pan is finished and having red numerous stories on this forum, I am nervous.

Both my designer and GC are very knowledgable regarding construction as well as Codes. Since I live in a high rise, construction has very specific Code requirements -i.e. framing must be metal and hot mop technique is not permitted.

I have viewed the GC's work - including showers - in other condos and they seem fine - for what's that worth but at least his tile setter does good work.

The pan pan for the showers has been finished - it required at least two days for the products to cure as the second layer had to be installed at least 24 hours after the first. It would then be tested by the City Inspectors to ensure that the pan holds water for I think 24 hours.

From what I can tell the pans were built using a mixture of Jet 235 Elasticrete Latex and Silver Sand. I am attaching pictures of the products and the two pans although I'm not sure what can be gleaned from pictures of two black surfaces :-)

Any questions I should be asking in terms of the process and what I should be checking for. As I posted above, the pan will be tested to see if it holds water for 24 hours - that's a Code requirement and the City has already inspected the drains.

Comments (8)