SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
olivertwistkitchen

GE Profile being updated - what should I do?

olivertwistkitchen
10 years ago

Hi,
We are in the middle of our reno, and the Appliance guy called me to tell me all the appliances will be delivered next Thursday. Oh, and "great news, I'm getting the newer model of the GE Profile wall oven!" Apparently, the GE Profile PT916 has been discontinued, and is being replaced by the GE Profile PT7050 which he says is much better. (I still don't understand how it's better). I'm annoyed, because I gave the deposit for my appliances months ago, and he didn't order it, so I'm forced into the upgrade. Maybe that sounds silly (he says he's happy I will get the newer one). The problem is that there's an OTR microwave that's going over this wall oven by GE Profile that has not yet been released. GE says it's supposed to be released in September. It's not just the upgrade, it's the entire look that's different. I know everyone mixes and matches appliances (we are too), but the micro directly over the oven should not look totally different, especially since the only reason we picked that micro in the first place was to match.

He said he could deliver everything next week without the micro, and then we will just be incomplete in our reno and install the new micro in September. But what if I don't like it? What if the specs are a little off and it doesn't quite fit? GE won't release any info about the new micro.

The alternative is to get him to track down the older model of the oven to match the current micro. I could prob save some $ by doing this. He said "I'd rather not do that, I want you to have the new model - it's better". Hard to know how true that is. It does have a larger inner capacity without being larger on the outside, and it lists all kinds of new features on AJ Madison that I don't really understand. Plus, is it silly to buy a discontinued product? Will I regret that in the long run? Will it be harder to arrange repairs?

What would you do? So frustrating.

Thanks.

Comments (9)