SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

shrubs against the house; breaking 'rules', etc. Our beautybush case

I know it's inadvisable for several reasons to plant shrubs against a house, especially if they'd block a window. And that beds should be deep back-to-front. I deliberately violate all the rules in a number of places, notably with the big beautybush at the back of the house. My logic is this:

- In this neighbourhood, there is a high probability - verging on certainty - that, barring a complete meltdown of the real estate market, this house would be a tear-down if we sold it. (Therefore there is no reason to worry about damage to the physical structure of the house as long as it survives the next 5-10 years!) The exterior walls are stucco.

- We spend a lot of time indoors - due to my health issues plus the high number of mosquitoes resident in the backyard! We do enjoy seeing the garden from indoors and the indoor view is considered when planting and shaping the garden. Shrubs outside a window give us close-up views of plants and we enjoy that. During the summers of 2016 and 2017, robins nested in the beautybush to raise their family. That gave us incredible views of their activities less that a foot outside the window! Robins inspected the nest this spring but rejected it - and shortly after, the nest disappeared from the shrub! Hopefully they - or some other bird - will re-establish a new nest next year.

- It is difficult to grow anything under the roof overhang due to the extreme dryness. Shrubs can be planted outside the driest zone but fill in most of the space. We've tried a number of perennials in this bed - some are coping but most die out. Currently we are letting things seed in to see what decides the conditions suit them!

When you violate garden 'rules', do you justify it to yourself like I do? :-) What have been your successes in taking unconventional approaches? What would you suggest we do differenly in our case? Some pictures:

beautybush from indoors today:

beautybush from outdoors today - views from two different angles:

(The bow window is the living room. Originally part of the goal was to have the beautybush grow up the blank expanse of wall between the living room and our home-office - the room in the indoor picture at the top. The black pipe in the above picture is an experiment - a perforated drain pipe connected to the downspout on the NW corner of the living room wall - an attempt to create a giant pseudo-soaker hose to add moisture to the bed. It seems to be helping so we will refine the idea next year - probably use a smaller (3" rather than 4") diameter pipe.

Robins' nest last June - picture taken through the window in the home-office:

Comments (11)