SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
musicteacher_gw

What rules can I break?

musicteacher
10 years ago

I live in a modest but very comfortable 70's home. . I have changed some things, but I am still torn about decorating. I keep hearing that you shouldn't try to make your house what it isn't, but my house doesn't really have a "style." Other than a leaded glass window in the dining room and picture frame paneling in the living room, it is pretty much just boxes. There are no architectural features, the windows are just holes in the wall with metal windows in them, no molding. My hubby wants to keep the wood, so I have just decorated that room like a library, but don't want the whole house to be dark and heavy.
I don't plan to sell soon, but maybe someday, and while I believe I can do whatever I want in my own home, I do want it to be tasteful. We just did our master almost Victorian style. I love the soft blue and all the white bead board . It is not "appropriate" for this house but is way in the back of the house, so who cares.
The dining room though might matter more.
Would it look weird to add molding to the windows, to change out the flat brown doors for something prettier? The house feels kind of colonial but I also really like French country. Can those styles mesh or would they both seem really out of place in a ranch house? Can adjacent rooms be totally different in color and intensity?

Comments (7)