SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suseyb

Pantry help please

suseyb
5 years ago

While I wait for my husband to finish painting my cabinets, so I can do our floors, I thought I would look at the pantry to see how to make it work better for us. I tend to keep larger appliances and staples in the pantry. I have a lot of canning jars that probably should go in the pantry instead of in a cabinet.

The pantry is not in the kitchen. There is a door to the laundry in between the kitchen and pantry. The area between the kitchen, laundry, and pantry is a high traffic zone.

It's really a mess right now. You can see that the interior extends past the door frame. It does this on both sides.

This is the laundry door in between the kitchen and the pantry.

Comments (34)

• HKO HKO
    5 years ago
    You could make a huge improvement by taking everything out, purging what you don’t need, and putting it back neatly. But if you want a step up, I love the Elfa Pantry systems from container store. They will configure your space for you if you take your measurements and suggest things like rolling baskets and organizers.
  • suseyb
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

We need all that stuff. This is how it looks right before I get in there and have to reorganize. We are a family of 9, and there are a lot of people in and out of most areas of our home on a daily basis. I forgot about Elfa. We have some Elfa left over from our other house. I'll get measurements and take them to them. I was planning on using our leftover Elfa for the other closets, but could definitely use it here.

• Related Discussions

Pantry Design Help Please!

Q

Comments (19)
    allora - oh no! that's horrible. a crisis!! those are priceless threads!!!! darn it... ---'don't you DARE put in 2 different counter tops' Should have put in 3... ---- I know... imagine that! if i ever get to the point where i'm actually gonna finally move there, I'll have to razz her about it. I don't plan on an island but i can pretend to waffle on it... 'maybe i should and put soapstone on it...'. I should ask her WHY NOT? all I did was laugh. I'm used to her after all of these yrs.
    ...See More

Please Help With Pantry Plan /X Post -> Home Dec, Long

Q

Comments (37)
    I think I'd do 18" (or maybe 16") shelves on the lower part of the straight wall (R) with more shallow shelves above them - maybe 10". on the L side maybe counter depth for a good # of feet - with maybe drawers underneath? counter for mw, counter oven etc. that could end part way to the 'point' with shelves that are triangle shaped into the wall to be open shelves for a few larger pots or whatever. or at that end of the counter depth shelves cabs have a taller (end) cabinet like we often see as a 'broom' closet for a pantry ladder closet. The ladder would be right there when needed - but hidden. you could have the top part of it (above ladder height) as skinny horizontal shelves to slide your larger trays into. like the cookie sheet slots except horizontal. the first few ft of the wall to the R could have some hooks for dog leashes, coats / sweaters (or dust mops? if needed - or a grabber bar). but that would keep the entry area open so it doesn't feel cave like. from the end of the counter depth shelves/cabs on the R to the point area could be for the dog food bin and dishes. you could hang pictures of the dogs over their dish / food area so they can look at themselves while eating. without shelves running into the point area on the R side, it'd allow for open / standing space in front of shelves on the L side. you could keep a small ladder in there for reaching higher shelves - possibly hang on the wall toward the point area or lean on the wall (if not in a 'ladder closet'). Also, try to think of anything weird or weird in shape that you will want to store in there.
    ...See More

Please help me design my narrow 36" wide Pantry/Appliance closet!

Q

Comments (13)
    Thanks for your responses everyone! I appreciate each and every one. Kippy -- looks like your pantry will be super functional! Unfortunately can't add any more width to our pantry. Stan -- thank you for your input. I think I agree with you on the 8" counter. No can do. Also thanks for your suggestion on the 4" shelves just on one side. That might do the trick! Practigal and Looklake -- the 18" pull-outs sound dreamy, but I really really really want a 36"x24" countertop. Those appliances need to be out of my way. I would leave them out if I used them consistently at least once a week, but there are times when I use them every other day, or not at all for weeks at a time. And Looklake, the size of the pantry is hardly ideal...we are turning a coat closet into a pantry and the size cannot be changed. Karenseb -- when you say pull-outs, do you mean drawers or roll trays? The roll trays would waste more space, right? And any idea what the weight limits might be? Also would it be ok that the pull-outs couldn't fully extend? Since I only have 45" total pantry depth minus the 24" depth of the base cabinet.
    ...See More

Help me plan my small U shaped Walk in PANTRY please.

Q

Comments (2)
    If I am reading the plan correctly, the corners will only have 3 inches of exposed opening since you have the "B" wall 15" deep and each side wall "A" and "C" have 18" partitions that look like will be coming out from the back wall. I would think you'd want to plan it so wall A is 33.5", Wall B is 80" across and Wall C is 30"
    ...See More
  • artistsharonva
    5 years ago

Add a light in there.

Category Label Items

Get similar storage containers.

Clear containers, if visual person to see what's in containers

Store like items together

Store most used items in front on middle shelves

Here is some inspiration photos.

If need more storage, Add narrow storage shelving for only light small items. Avoid heavy or too much, so door hinge can handle it.

• Kim Q
    5 years ago
    Could you open up the door frame and reframe it with bifold doors? That way you could access the full width of the shelves. Your closet/pantry gives me anxiety! I would also get different bins that are more solid and square shaped so they fit on the shelves better and are visually less busy. Also organize your shelves by category. Then the hard part... teaching the family your organization system so they don’t mess it up.
  • AnnKH
    5 years ago

Yes to lighting!

Do the bins and baskets work for you?

I completely understand how an organized space doesn't stay that way for long with a bunch of people in the house! So the trick is to set it up so that it is obvious where things go, so everyone puts things away in the right place.

First, everything needs to come out. Purge old/never used.

As you put away, start with least-used things - those go in the hard-to-reach ends. Put like things together - one shelf for crock pots, roasting pans, etc. A crock pot would be easier to take out and put away at the end of the shelf than a basket. Same with paper towels - anything that's reach in and grab, as opposed to taking out a bin.

Things that get used a lot earn the "prime real estate" front and center.

Vertical dividers might help keep things from running together.

Once you get things the way you like - and that makes logical sense - make labels for the edges of the shelves, so anyone putting away a cooler knows where it goes.

• User
    5 years ago

Widen the doorway to open the entire space. Bifold doors allow better access and take up less space in the pathway when open.

If that is not possible, reorganize.

The appliances need to go on the lower shelves---and those shelves need to be spaced for the appliances(more/less height).

Not a fan of bins for canned/boxed supplies. Stacking cans/boxes neatly allows for more room and better sight identification. Air tight jars/plastic containers(with labels) for bulk stuff---flour/sugar/etc. Store tall items(cereal/etc.) on the ends/behind, short in the center/front.

• suseyb
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I love the idea of making the entrance wider. We came from a home with a walk in pantry, so it's been quite the adjustment. I have room to make the space wider, but I don't know if I can convince my husband that's a good idea.

Staples include flours, some sugar, vinegars, and extras. Extra vinegars, soy sauce, baking stuff. I buy in bulk and at the discount grocery. We don't eat cereal or have any chips or stuff like that, as a general rule. I rarely have cans, make my own sauces (spaghetti, bbq). I do buy some things in cans, but very few. If we do have chips, they leave super fast. In theory, my bins only have one kind of thing in them, but it only takes a couple of weeks before they are in disarray. My kids are pretty good about putting things away, but not always. They range in age from 3 to over 20, so it varies on whether they can or if they even care to put things away the way they are supposed to.

I use both instant pots almost daily. Roasting pan, about once a week, but it doesn't fit in the cupboards. The bins work better than most other methods, but they still aren't ideal with so many people going in and out of the area. I'm interested in the idea of vertical dividers if they aren't super easy to move. I may be able to get my husband to move the shelving up/down, but I think it's not supposed to move.

This is awesome. I'm open to more suggestions. The pantry has been so awful for so long. Being able to use it rather than just shove stuff in a bin will be so much better.

• Kim Q
    5 years ago
    I use the pop lid plastic storage bins for all my baking stuff. I buy it from the bulk bins so it just goes straight into my storage container. I like them because they’re square so they fit on the shelf nicely and I can see what’s in them. I have a baking section to my pantry, then jars and sauces, ketchup, etc. on another shelf. I tend to stock up on the usual suspects. Then I have a bin for grains and beans. Chips and crackers have a section, and then the small appliances and mason jars have their place. There’s also a bin of disposable stuff, leftover plates and napkins from various themed parties. You may benefit from removing a shelf to allow for taller items to store more easily. Bottled water and iced tea is on the floor. Sectioning off areas will help. And I really think you should look into opening up the door. It’ll be so much more useful! Happy organizing!!
  • Buehl
    5 years ago

The Kitchen Forum's Pantry thread may give you ideas:

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/2401919/pantry-photos-pics-of-pantries

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

Another vote for opening it up and reframing. Except, if budget allows, I would do cabinet doors instead of bi-folds. Bi-folds will be a lot cheaper, probably, but will still obstruct the opening.

If you go with custom cabinet doors, then you will be able to open it up even higher than the current opening is, if you want. The tall shelves for things you don't use often, of course. Like ice cream freezers, etc. Might look a little weird but sense the location is back of the kitchen on the way to the laundry, it's a spot where function can trump form AFAIC.

• AquaLove
    5 years ago

Another option might be to remove the current shelves and install shelves on the sides, perpendicular to the current shelves. This would allow you to stand in the pantry facing each set of shelves. Compare the width of the pantry to the width of the sides to see if you would end up with more or less linear feet of shelving. I can't tell from the picture how deep the shelves could be or if they would be deep enough.

• dan1888
    5 years ago

One option is a double full width door with ball bearing hinges. 8-10" shelves with return lip on the doors. The interior full width shelves can be 12" so things stay manageable. You will almost double your storage with everything easy to see.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    5 years ago

I think the shelves are too short and deep, and that also adds to the darkness (stuff on an upper shelf casting shadows on the lower shelves. My recommendations would be 1) general lighting 2) change your shelves so the lower ones are full width, and they get narrower as you go up, allowing for better visibility (don't you lose things behind other things in the back?) and 3) consider changing them to wire shelves, also to increase the light. A lot of people don't like wire shelving, but I prefer it in a pantry (items that won't sit stable on wire shelving can be stored in baskets or trays on the shelves).

• strategery
    5 years ago

You need a bigger pantry and/or less stuff, and a wider door. Any chance to somehow remodel to locate pantry in kitchen?

• User
    5 years ago

First, widen the opening as much as possible and install two doors for better visual and physical access.

Second, install a couple of dual track shelving standards in the back of the closet. That will give you the freedom to change the distance between the shelves, and the width of the shelves, as needed.

Bi-fold doors are a last resort, when absolutely nothing else will work. Adding a light fixture to such a shallow space would help very little, if at all.

• suseyb
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I’m emptying the pantry, but first I am taking my 9yo camping for two days. Will have pics when I get back.

We could possibly change this space, but my $ right now are being saved for flooring. I’m thinking that I might need to find space in the garage for some of the things in here, and maybe switch out some of the kitchen cabinet stuff with pantry stuff. It’s unfortunate it’s in such an out of the way place

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

Have fun camping.

Later when home.

This project is easy. No stress. 1 step at a time ;)

#1 Put lights in 1st. Immediate improvement.

If no electricity inside, get 2 battery strip light inside easy to reach to turn on.

Break time.

#2 move anything that can go in garage that is rarely used into garage.

Break time

#3 move daily used stuff to middle shelves.

#4 Take a photo

#5 Measure width / depth of shelves/ height of space between shelves & empty space now available on shelves. Decide if have too many tall items & if removing a shelf makes more functional. Remove if it does.

If possible, write measures on photo or draw a sketch with notes.

#6, choose 3 colors you enjoy togeather

#4,5,& 6 will when shopping for storage containers.

Take a break

#7 put painter tape labels on shelves for placing items , this helps avoid getting overwhelmed.

Take a break

#8 bring your measures & browse dollar stores & department stores for containers that make your list. Don't have to buy everything at once. Start by buying a few containers to put like small items together. Have fun with this process.

Repeat until done.

1 step at a time helps to avoid getting overwhelmed. Have fun. When ever the fun fades. Take a break, refresh. Continue.

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

Before reorganizing the pantry.

Add the lights.

Then consider painting inside a bright color that brings you joy.

• oldbat2be
    5 years ago

Can you post the current dimensions? Since the pantry's interior extends past the door frames, can you turn this into U shaped shelves inside, with possibly varying depths on sides and back? Regarding lighting, Homepro01 recommended the Haiku light for ours and we love it. Here's [ours[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/pantry-build-progress-dsvw-vd~4316965) with adjustable U shelves; exterior dimensions are 69" x 50" x 94". The back wall of shelves is 13" deep and the sides are 9" deep.

Have fun camping and good luck!

artistsharonva - I do love the colored interiors but wimped out when it came to pick a bold color for our space. For a decorative pantry, sure, with white dishes. For canned and dry good storage, not so pretty....

• AnnKH
    5 years ago

Suseyb, OldBat2B has an amazing pantry! She also makes good use of vertical dividers.

One of the hardest things about reorganizing a space is trying to put everything back in the same space, because that's where it's always been, NOT because that space makes the most sense. Relocating things you rarely use to a different room will make a huge difference for you. It's much easier to keep a pantry organized if there is less stuff in it.

• Buehl
    5 years ago

12" deep shelves seem to be the "sweet spot" for storage...deep enough for cereal boxes and the vast majority of small appliances but shallow enough that things don't get lost in the depths.

Once you figure out what to do with your current pantry, think about supplementing your pantry space with shelves (& door) b/w the studs. The shelves will only be a few inches deep, but that makes it easier to stay organized!

Some thoughts about bi-fold doors from experience....

"Bi-folds will be a lot cheaper, probably, but will still obstruct the opening"

-and-

"They are annoying. They often come out of line, off their track, & most are cheaply made."

Not all bi-fold doors are cheaply made or get out alignment or fall off the rails, nor do they obstruct a wider opening. In fact, bi-fold doors don't need the walls and trim that regular doors need, so you actually have greater access to the pantry. We had them in our pantry for 13 years and never had an issue. They never fell off the rails, went out of alignment, etc.

What is nice is that if you want to leave one or both doors open (b/c you're putting groceries away or you want some ventilation), the doors don't take up that much floor or aisle space, unlike a regular door.

The only thing that I will say is that my kids did pinch their fingers in the fold a couple of times...but then they also closed regular doors on their fingers as well!

[We still have them in my kids' bedrooms and in the hall closet - it's been 23 years now and still no issues with any of them. Our house was builder-grade (until we started upgrading the downstairs about 10 years ago), so I'm sure we do not have expensive doors!]

Aesthetically, I prefer a regular door; but functionally, especially in a small place, bi-fold might be better.

• Buehl
    5 years ago

Here's one...

100 Square Foot Kitchen Remodel · More Info

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

• Toronto Veterinarian
    5 years ago

I had my built in my kitchen reno, and I put in pocket doors. I love them! I think I've only closed them once; typically they stay open and I move freely from kitchen to pantry (mine is a walk in, almost 5' x 7').

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

Not all bi-fold doors are cheaply made or get out alignment or fall off the rails, nor do they obstruct a wider opening. In fact, bi-fold doors don't need the walls and trim that regular doors need, so you actually have greater access to the pantry.

Bi-fold doors that do not obstruct the opening use 'full access' hardware components which DO require traditional jambs because the doors are side hinged. When you have jambs, you must have trim to stabilize the jambs. Otherwise, they will twist, bow, warp and just generally go squirrely.

Aside from that, in OP's situation, doors without trim would look very much out of place in her house.

• Buehl
    5 years ago

Well, mine are all top hinged and we had full access...except maybe 3" or so of space taken up by the doors. I'll look for a picture to show you what I mean.

ETA: From my old Kitchen

• Buehl
    5 years ago

"Aside from that, in OP's situation, doors without trim would look very much out of place in her house."

I'm not sure about that...if you look closely at her pictures, it looks like she has windows without trim - just a sill, just like I do.

The only doorways with trim in my house are those that have a "standard" door, all others are "trimless", including the doorways with bi-fold doors.

My house was built in 1995 -- that's what the production builders were doing then.

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

Well, mine are all top hinged and we had full access...except maybe 3" or so of space taken up by the doors.

Those 3" that the doors take up inside the opening makes those 'limited access' bi-folds.

'Full access' bi-folds are hinged to a jamb and swing entirely outside of the opening.

http://www.johnsonhardware.com/1601-full-access-bi-fold-door-hardware

it looks like she has windows without trim - just a sill, just like I do.

The house we owned before this one was like that. Drywall returns. I never warmed to the look although I think it is OK with modern/ contemporary style. But then I am a minimalist with window coverings so untrimmed window openings looked unfinished to my eye. Saves the builder a boatload of money by reducing the trim package and associated costs in time and for trim carpenters and more detailed painting, etc. Doesn't work at all with traditional styling, IMO, unless you're someone who is into a lot of drapery and are going to cover it all up anyway. Then again, probably in the eyes of the beholder and what you're used to seeing.

• suseyb
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh gosh, ya'll were busy while I was gone. Just an aside, I was not excited about this camping trip, but I figured it would be ok. My youngest had a stomach virus at home, so I was kind of glad that I was gone until the one I was with ON THE TRIP, started to vomit in the middle of the night. We were hammock camping, and she ended up sleeping under the hammock. It ALSO rained. LOL We came home early, and I've been tending sick kids. The youngest is better, but the camper is still under the weather.

Interior measurements are as follows:

55" width

27.5" depth

door space is 24"

the shelves are 15.5" front to back

I will likely have more $ to spend if I don't have to increase the space of the pantry. However, I do have some space to bump it out.

Now, I'm going back to re-read all the posts. All the inspiration pics are wonderful! I wish I had seen OldBat2B's when I did the pantry in my former house. It would have been so much better. I think this is going to be sooo helpful.

• suseyb
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here is the space it’s in the “hallway” between the laundry room, kitchen, and dining area.

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

Suseyb, since you mentioned upthread that you're saving for new flooring, I want to remind you that if the new flooring is intended for the area where the pantry is...

That, if you're contemplating opening up the pantry wall, good idea to do that before new flooring is installed so you're not trying to patch in flooring after the fact.

• suseyb
    Original Author
    5 years ago

ci_lantro Thank you for that reminder. I am really, really hoping to do it in the space we have. I am trying to figure out sketchup to see if I can draw out a pantry. I had kids come down with a tummy bug, so I've had some time to practice while I was up all night. :)

• suseyb
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Everything is out of this closet, and I have been culling things we don't need. Goodbye Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker I never use!

I painted the back wall today. My husband thinks we should paint the shelves yellow, too. What do you think?

Btw, this is Sherwin Williams lemon twist.

It is a much more vibrant yellow in person.