SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srb2398061

Interesting new Netflix movie

Anglophilia
5 years ago

I spent Sunday and Monday nights binge watching the new Netflix movie "Staircase". It's a documentary about a man charged with killing his wife, whom he claimed fell down the staircase. It follows the trial (went on for months!), his conviction, some of his appeals during his 8 yr incarceration, his house arrest and in the end his possibility of a new trial or a plea bargain.

This man had secrets. He was bi-sexual. He had complicated family relationships. In the end, I'm not sure whether or not he was guilty. Part of me thinks he was, another part thinks he wasn't.

It's a very interesting movie and it shows just how corrupt the Durham NC's DA's office was - this took place right after the the DA was disbarred due to the way he handled the Duke Lacrosse players situation. One expert witness lied under oath about his qualifications, evidence was not tested, it was not protected when stored - in other words, it was an unholy mess. The closing argument by one of the assistant DA's was highly prejudicial as she concentrated on his "filthy" bi-sexuality. It certainly does make one realize that our judicial system is far from perfect that that not everyone gets a fair trial.

It was a fascinating movie to watch.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!