SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print

Smelly condensing dryer

5 years ago

I've seen lots of threads over the years about smelly front load washers, but neither my memory nor a search turned up smelly condensing dryer problems. We've had a Blomberg heat pump dryer for the last couple of years and it's recently started smelling musty and unpleasant inside the drum and when I open the lower door to the secondary filter and condenser fins. The lint filter is clean, I've replaced the secondary filter and vacuumed and washed everything I could reach around the fins (the condensing unit isn't removable, unlike with the cleaning instructions for other brands I've seen online), but no improvement.

The area around the secondary filter is always moist, even after relatively long periods of not using the dryer (I like the clothesline in summer), and the mesh on the cartridge that holds the secondary filter looks spotted--kind of like mold--after use, even though I've cleaned it with hot water and a little bleach. I left both doors open and the cartridge out for about a week to dry out after cleaning everything, but after the first use it's smelling again.

Is this a problem that anyone else has had with condensing dryers, and/or any suggestion for a cure?

Comments (25)